rf EFTA on a plane? if not, what fits better?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd just take the Scenera...really. The Radian is HEAVY to lug through the airport and there is no guarantee it will fit, and we know the Scenera will work fine.

I completely agree. Scenera, or Avenue if you're a nut about EPP foam and/or want it to last longer.

ADS

petesamprs

Thank you all for your advice. After much deliberation, I've decided to get an Uptown as the second car seat and use that for the trip, since it seems like the best combination of size (both dimensions and weight), baby comfort (EPP) and price (= or <$100). The smaller size of the uptown may even work better with my snugride once #2 arrives (side by side??)

The Scenera I saw at Target felt like it had no padding for the baby - almost a thin cloth over hard plastic. The radian is just too big when rf and heavy to carry around.

The best price I see on the Uptown is $100 from walmart.com. I've read here that it can be had as low as $65. Any suggestions on a better source? I'm in Northern NJ.

thanks again.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Uptown has been discontinued. It is the same as the Avenue-- just a cover redesign and a change on one part of the base, otherwise exactly the same. You're right, the Scenera is bare-bones-- just cloth cover over plastic. Not a bad seat for the price, and definitely serves a function/fills a niche, but basic.

You can find the Uptown for 65 at some Big Lots stores, or you can get the Avenue at Sears and K Mart.

jlr9882

I love my Uptown that I got at Big Lots for $65 a few months before the Avenue came out. The DOM was awesome on it too. If you have an Kmart near you the Avenue comes in bags there. I think it is wierd that at Walmart the Scenera is in a bag, but at Kmart it is in a box.

petesamprs

I think I'm going to stick to the Uptown. The reviews here indicate that the Avenue's new base shape/cutout makes it harder to recline properly when rf, and the harness adjuster is even lower than the Uptown, which was already not the easiest to access.

The Big Lots near me is all sold out. Guess I'll be getting it from Walmart unless someone here is selling one.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you really like the seat and can find it, go for it. Be aware that it will have lost a year of its life, but since it has an 8 year expiration it will still have one.

Also you may want to invest in a car seat bag for easy carrying, or a luggage rack and some bungee cords, or figure out how to bungee it to your stroller if you're taking one, to get through the airport. The Uptown doesn't come with a carry bag and is difficult to carry properly for long distances (you shouldn't carry it by its straps, rather by its shell, which gets awkward.)

Kat_Momof3

that stinks... last time I went to Big Lots, they still had a ton of them.

where are you located?? If you were close enough to one that could be confirmed still had them, then it could be worth it to drive further.

Otherwise, pay more and get free site-to store shipping on walmart rather than getting someone to get you one and pay to ship it.

ETA - THERE IS AN UPTOWN ON SWAP!!!..... that's all I can say, I think.

petesamprs

If you really like the seat and can find it, go for it. Be aware that it will have lost a year of its life, but since it has an 8 year expiration it will still have one.

Also you may want to invest in a car seat bag for easy carrying, or a luggage rack and some bungee cords, or figure out how to bungee it to your stroller if you're taking one, to get through the airport. The Uptown doesn't come with a carry bag and is difficult to carry properly for long distances (you shouldn't carry it by its straps, rather by its shell, which gets awkward.)

Right, not too concerned about the DOM given it's 8 year life. You had mentioned in your earlier post that the Uptown comes with a travel bag?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No, the Avenue does. I was tired when I posted and wasn't clear. I have an Uptown; the Avenue is the new model and that is the one that comes with a travel bag. The Uptown is from before the packaging switch. Sorry. :)

petesamprs

OP here - checking back in with some feedback...

Well, i got the Uptown from walmart.com. DOM was April 2007!!! (ALMOST 2 years old!). To be expected I guess since it was discontinued. Also, during installation the EPS foam started coming unglued from the plastic shell. My final complaint about it is that it is VERY thin from side to side - my very thin daughter's shoulders barely fit across it, and it becomes uncomfortable when she wears a moderately thick coat. It's likely this thing is going back.

On a separate note, can someone recommend the best baby carrier/backpack/sling-type product out there for our Spain trip? We'll be doing a lot of walking/sightseeing, and want to carry our DD instead of using a stroller, so we want a sling that will distribute her weight well so we're not dying after 5 minutes. We want a sling that will hold her in front of us and facing forward. Our baby bjorn would be good but I think she's too big for it now. Recommendations?

U

Unregistered

Ergo or Beco 4th generation for a carrier. You can check out the baby wearer for more suggestions and ask lots of questions. I am in a similar boat as you we are flying overseas w/ ds and I am having a hard time deciding what to take for a car seat. Good luck whatever you choose please do post what you end of choosing and how it worked for you.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you go check out the strollers and gear forum there's probably a lot of information on carriers.

Of note, your daughter should not be wearing even a moderately thick coat in the car seat. It will compress in a crash and cause the harness to be loose. Here is a thread on how to wear one safely in the car. Here is a thread that shows how much slack is created even by a seemingly "thin" winter layer.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Maybe I missed it, but can you get an Avenue. Although it replaced the Uptown, it has more shoulder room because the padding is not quite so poofy. It's still adequately padded, but more roomy, I'd say. You can usually get one at Sears or K-mart.

petesamprs

Ergo or Beco 4th generation for a carrier. You can check out the baby wearer for more suggestions and ask lots of questions. I am in a similar boat as you we are flying overseas w/ ds and I am having a hard time deciding what to take for a car seat. Good luck whatever you choose please do post what you end of choosing and how it worked for you.

It seems like the Ergo carrier is getting good reviews and the price seems right. Might try that for our trip (can't have DD facing forward though when in front, which isn't the end of the world).

Maybe I missed it, but can you get an Avenue. Although it replaced the Uptown, it has more shoulder room because the padding is not quite so poofy. It's still adequately padded, but more roomy, I'd say. You can usually get one at Sears or K-mart.

Agree. Avenue is the next best course of action here. I liked the uptown initially because the harness adjustor was apparently easier to get at...but the other factors outweight that now.

firemomof3

I have an ergo baby carrier and I did like it when I could carry my kids in front but hated it when I had to carry them on my back! I would suggest trying a high-end framed back pack for your trip. REI has some really nice ones :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC