Question Recommendations for new seat after minor crash

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I was in a minor car crash this past Monday (meeting all of NHSTA standards to be minor) but both of our seats' manuals advise replacement after any crash. My 5yo (45" / 47#) was in a Graco Tranzitions which I will repurchase. My 21 mo old (33" / 25#) was in a Diono Radian RXT purchased in 2013.

Since it has been a while since I have shopped for a convertible seat, I'd like recommendations on the Radian replacement. I've been generally happy with it other than its weight. Still, that is really only an issue maybe once or twice a year when we travel by plane. We drive a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Radian RF in the middle and the Tranzitions on the passenger side.

Are there any other (ideally lighter) seats that would work as well in this configuration?

Thanks in advance!

ADS

lgenne

Assuming Diono tells you to replace, I would look at the Graco Slimfit. Narrow, easy to install, and about 8 pounds lighter than your RXT.

U

Unregistered

Hi again,

Wendy, you are correct that the Radian is still usable per Diono. However, the law in my state (IL) requires the insurance company to replace any seats involved in any crash. So, Allstate will reimburse me for new seats but I need to cut the straps and send pictures.

Should I trash the Radian for a new seat or keep it? It was manufactured in 12/12 so my daughter can use it harnessed until 12/20 (she will be 5 in 2/21).

THANKS!

MelodyoftheForest

It would probably be easier to keep it if you will have her FF by the time it expires. By that time, you can pass the Tranzitions down to her because your older child should be booster ready by age 8. However, if you have any reservations about continuing to use the Radian, the Slimfit or whatever seat you choose will last her the rest of her harnessed days.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC