reasons not to use a 3 point infant seat?

turtlemama

I'm trying to make a post on facebook on why not to use a 3 point infant seat, but all I know is that they are likely expired. So I need safety benefits on 3 point vs 5 point. I'm posting because my brothers ex has her baby in a 3 point.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
~~ A small baby (and possibly even a "big" baby) can shift "out of position" and can slip around the harness. :(

~~ The crotch strap/buckle on a 3 pt. harness can be pretty far out, which can cause the baby to slouch a lot. It can also make it difficult to tighten the harness correctly.

~~ Like you said, 3 points in this country are likely either expired or are foreign seats.

In *some* special cases, a 3-point harness might be okay. I think of jubjulia's DS, who has OI. For him, the 3-point is a good choice. For most kids, it is not.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They're not all expired. I had a 2007 for Laine (I did NOT use it in the car. It was a recalled Evenflo Discovery with an unknown history. I used it since I didn't use a stroller or infant seat, and I needed someplace to put her while I did carseat checks. It lived in my trunk).

There is SO much space on the sides of the baby that they can be thrown out of the side. An older infant who is wiggly can get out of them. And the crotch strap is so far away from the baby that it's nearly impossible to get the harness tight.

Wendy

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
What about a 3 year old in a 3 point convertible, a guy asked me.

Not good. Although they might be better with an older child than with a baby.

The only 3-point convertibles in the US were either T-shield seats (which I am 99% sure are all expired by now) or overhead shield seats.

Shield seats had a few problems. (1) The shield is designed to be part of the restraint. In other words, the child's head, face, or chest are supposed to slam into the shield in an accident. :eek: (2) The design of the harness through the shield made it difficult to tighten the harness correctly. (3) Because there were no hip straps (the shield was designed to take the place of them), the child could still "shift" out of place in the seat, possibly causing some issues in an accident.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I haven't seen any in a few years, but that doesn't mean that they aren't still out there. :( Tray-shield seats are not all expired and are definitely still floating around.

I am not sure, though, about if they are still being manufactured or not. I don't *think* they are (in this country), but I could definitely be wrong.

turtlemama

Sorry, I phrased it wrong. I mean't are there 3 point convertibles out there? He said his has a year left on it.

ETA: nevermind, the pic he said he thought it was had a 5 point harness. He just thought it was a 3 point.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Most likely. There are still a few T-shields out there, so it could be a T-shield, but is most likely a tray shield. Not all tray shields are expired.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Weren't all the t-shields recalled? They would all be expired by now anyway. Overhead shield seats were made as recently as 2007 I believe. The child is going to hit that shield at the speed that the car was traveling so it's not a good idea to use one even though they are not expired.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
monica-m said:
Weren't all the t-shields recalled? They would all be expired by now anyway. Overhead shield seats were made as recently as 2007 I believe.

The Scenera overhead shield was made until at least 2009.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
They would all be expired by now anyway.
Overhead shield seats were made as recently as 2007 I believe. The child is going to hit that shield at the speed that the car was traveling so it's not a good idea to use one even though they are not expired.

Yeah, I wrote in post 10 that I was 99% sure that T-shields were all expired by now. Thanks for reassuring that they are in fact all expired by now. :)

finn

I know its not really pertinent & doesn't help you at all but a lot of European capsules are 3 points and thats all lol (they are quite different from your 3 points however)

IMG_3158.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC