Rear-facing Tether Drama

Valentine

Today we installed our new Marathons in our vehicles, which are a 2004 Chevy Impala and a 1995 Mercury Villager. In the car we used the LATCH system and in the van we used the lap/shoulder belt with the automatic lock-offs. Both turned out to be awesome, rock-solid installs and I feel great about them. But there are tethering issues.

The car basically has no acceptable tether point for rear-facing. The track for adjusting the seat is bolted down flat against the carpet with no room to put the strap under (pics below). All other parts of the seat, including legs, slide along the track. We ended up using the metal bar that is attached to the passenger seat-belt buckle, which is bolted to the frame of the seat (used D-ring). It moves with the seat, but we positoned the seat to an optimal place, tightened the tether, and agreed never to adjust the seat (shouldn't ever be necessary). My question is, is this tether point worth a damn? Is it better to use the point we used, or not to use the rear-facing tether at all?

I couldn't get any good pics of where we attached the D-ring. Maybe tomorrow, but now it's dark out and I can't see where I'm pointing the camera. Here are the pics of the seat track/leg area.

Passenger seat, left side: (I can't move the seat foward now 'cause the D-rings already attached. But it's the same as the driver's, below)

Driver's seat, right side:

Okay, now about the van. The seat track/leg area of the van seats are even worse than the car, if that's possible! Once I looked under there, we didn't even try. But, there are these little bars on the floor that look exactly like the tether anchors that are behind the Impala's head rests for use with foward-facing seats. They are actually used for the sliding bench seat to latch onto when it's in the foward-most position, but we have the bench seat in the middle position. Like I said, these little bars look exactly like tether anchors and they're bolted to the floor so it's perfect for the rear-facing tether. But unfortunately, from the center of the bench seat, either one would be more than 45 degrees off from the center of the MA. So, the two options are: install in the center with the lap belt only, and no tether. Or, install outboard (behind driver) with the lap/shoulder belt and auto lock-offs, and tether. Basically I'm nervous about DS being outboard, but if he's center then he can't be tethered. Got it? lol!

Please advise. I'm stressing out about both situations.

Last edited:
ADS

Valentine

No, we determined that the plastic can't be removed, and my husband says that even if it could, there's still nowhere to thread the strap through.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I am not familiar with your vehicles, but where you attached the D ring to RF tether is fine as long as you do not move the seat since it is bloed to the frame ;).

TerisBoys

For the Malibu - I used to have a Chevy Corsica - the tracks are very similar. Feel under the middle of the seat about 1/2 way up - see if there's another track or bar there - that's where I tethered my RF RA and Elite.

The van I can't help much with.

Valentine

There is a kind of bar about half-way under the seat that is attached to the seat itself, not the floor. I considered it but eventually decided on the seat-belt bar thingy because this bar doesn't feel as thick and it's far enough under the seat that the tether would be in contact with the seat bottom until it came out from under, kwim? azgirl, the seat-belt buckle anchor bar thing that we used is bolted to the seat frame but not to the floor of the car. Is it still ok if we don't move the seat? In the event of a crash, would that bar be able to withstand the force of my body against the passenger seat-belt AND the force of the tether pulling on it?

This is straight under the passenger seat, the best I could do tonight anyway:

Last edited:

TerisBoys

Nope - not the same. Mine was on the floor.

I read Impala as Malibu in your first post - totally different car. (Malibu replaced Corsica in the lineup).

minismom

I'm looking at the 4th picture (2nd pic under driver's side) of your first post and it looks just like my car. The track is bolted to the floor directly too. But the seat leg, the black part to which the silver metal bar is attached, that's what I used to tether my RA. At least in my car, when you stick your hand in there you notice that piece "ends" eventually so you can loop the d-ring around that. It's a long leg though, so it barely fits. I have to insert the loop part of the d-ring from the right side of the leg, and squeeze it through so I can grab it on the other side. It's hard, but once you grab it, then loop it around and there's just enough room to put the loop through the metal part of the d-ring. The d-ring ends up sitting right by the seat's leg, almost touching it. But it works. You still can't move the seat though. Putting it through it's hard and takes a few tries, but you should be able to tell if you should gve it a try by just grabbing the leg and feeling if it ends. Does this sound confusing? I can take a pic if it'll help!

Valentine

It does sound confusing, but I'll have my husband read it too. A picture would be great if it's not too much trouble. The tether point you're talking about, is it bolted to the floor or just to the seat? Would the D-ring move with the seat if you adjusted the seat?

Valentine

I'm sure that could be used, but again, it's only attached to the seat and not the floor. If that spot is equally as good as the one I used, I'd rather leave it because that piece is not on the passenger seat, only the driver's. The passenger seat won't have to move but the driver's seat has to be adjusted frequently because DH and I are very different heights.

I'm sure that could be used, but again, it's only attached to the seat and not the floor. If that spot is equally as good as the one I used, I'd rather leave it because that piece is not on the passenger seat, only the driver's. The passenger seat won't have to move but the driver's seat has to be adjusted frequently because DH and I are very different heights.

Fair enough.

Valentine

Thanks though, NZ! I'm just disappointed because the rear tether was one of the reasons I decided on Britax in the first place, so to have it tethered in a way I'm less than confident about is a let-down. At least they have rock-solid installs though.

Thanks though, NZ! I'm just disappointed because the rear tether was one of the reasons I decided on Britax in the first place, so to have it tethered in a way I'm less than confident about is a let-down. At least they have rock-solid installs though.

You can tether to the rear of the car if that is of any help?

As much as my car is very basic, and does not have Isofix/latch points the seats install so well in there. (touch wood - i have a radian to install in about 10 days time) I have a place for the d-ring and our cars are not made for the US seat market.

I'm sure it will all work out.

minismom

It does sound confusing, but I'll have my husband read it too. A picture would be great if it's not too much trouble. The tether point you're talking about, is it bolted to the floor or just to the seat? Would the D-ring move with the seat if you adjusted the seat?

I'm going out in about an hr and I'll take a pic then and post when I get back. The tether point I'm talking about is the actual leg of the driver's seat, so it's attached to the seat itself and then to the seat rail, which is bolted to the floor. Or maybe it goes to the floor directly, it's very hard to tell. And yeah, it still moves when you move the seat, since it's the seat leg...

Valentine

Oh, so which option did you guys think was better for the van?

We have to reinstall it, I'm so mad 'cause it's such a great install right now! I just realized that the seat belt (under the cover) is going on top of the crotch strap instead of under. At the time, it seemed like that would give the crotch strap the most length, because as we tightened the belt, it would pull the crotch strap up. But now I realize the manual says it has to be under. Ugh.

minismom

Sorry Botzi, when I went out last night I forgot to bring the camera. I'm just waiting for dh to come home and I'll take a pic today.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC