radian xtsl very loose in center of 2009 nissan versa

U

unregistered

Hi

We recently moved our lo to the center seat ff in our 2009 nissan versa. It has helped a lot in terms of fewer tantrums when in the car but the install is most definitely not secure as when the car took a sharp turn a few days ago, the car seat tipped to its side.
My dh installed it but did not attach the top tether, Could this be the issue? Also, am I correct in thinking you shouldnt use latch in this car in the center? I need to check out the install to see how he did it but it is a sore point for us at the moment as he feels he did it correctly and thinks I am criticizing him. After I saw the seat tip over to the side, I've been thinking of it nonstop and want to correct it.

Thanks

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You are correct. Your car's manual will say you cannot use LATCH in the center. However, the install should be tight before you do the top tether. That's just a rebound reducer, not an installation point.

If you're using the seatbelt, make sure it's locked. It sounds as if maybe someone gave it a hard jerk to see if it's locked, which activates the emergency mode, but not the automatic mode.

Wendy

canadiangie

Can you post a few pics?

We can see a lot when it comes to an install if there are pics included. :)

Also, how old is your baby and what does he/she weigh?

Are there other children in the car as well (you mentioned tantrums, etc).

U

Unregistered

No other kids, he's 25 months, around 30lbs.

I need to raise the shoulder straps up a notch, realized it is still configured for rf (below shoulder)
Will take pics when I do

Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At 25 months it's strongly encouraged to turn him rear facing again. He's barely over the AAP's recommendation of at least two years, and nowhere near the NHTSA's of four. If the size of the seat was an issue, which is why you're turning him so early, I'd look at the angle adjuster so you can sit the seat more upright.

Wendy

creideamh

In addition to what's posted above, if you decide to leave him FF and use the top tether (which you should), make sure to attach the SafeStop onto the back of the harness. It needs to be used when a child under 40lb is FF and the seat is top tethered.
Also, sometimes popping the recline foot out can help with getting a tighter install.

O

olmum

Hi this OP, just registered to post using app

So I have a few addtl questions:

Does the top tether strap have to be tight?
Car is hatchback, tethers to behind seat

There is a slight tilt as the seat is not completely level throughout width of seat in center and still quite some movement even though the shoulder/lap belt is tight

There is a gap behind the seat, should I use a receiving blanket as a wedge?

I'm very glad to have made it to 2 rf despite many friends/family members thinking I was leaving it too late. But for us, it was time to ff, it was starting to be a nightmare sitting in the car with lo howling nonstop. Ff has definitely made car trips better for us.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I will try to see if adjusting the bottom makes a difference

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Does the top tether strap have to be tight?
Car is hatchback, tethers to behind seat

You want to remove the slack. This is very important as it will help prevent or reduce impact injuries (so your little one doesn't hit the back of the front seats).

There is a slight tilt as the seat is not completely level throughout width of seat in center and still quite some movement even though the shoulder/lap belt is tight

Is the belt locked? You need less than 1" of movement at the belt path.

There is a gap behind the seat, should I use a receiving blanket as a wedge?

No, nothing between the seat and the carseat.

I'm very glad to have made it to 2 rf despite many friends/family members thinking I was leaving it too late. But for us, it was time to ff, it was starting to be a nightmare sitting in the car with lo howling nonstop. Ff has definitely made car trips better for us.

If you can't get a decent install forward facing you will have to move positions or go back to rear facing. Either a new seat, different position, or different direction will be needed.

Had you used the angle adjuster before you flipped? Many kids dislike being very reclined but do just fine when they can see out more (whether rear or forward facing) and are more upright.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I will try to see if adjusting the bottom makes a difference

You can also post pictures or videos for us so we can actually see (as well as we can online) some of the issues you're having. Sometimes we can easily pick up on an error that isn't coming across when you're talking with us.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC