Radian XT top tether issues with newer Civic

cbf123

A buddy of mine has been RFing a Radian XT in a newer Civic sedan. He's ready to turn it FF, but he says that the distance between the back of the seat and the top tether anchor is really short, to the point where he can't actually get it tight.

I'll be taking a look on Wednesday, but in the meantime has anyone done this successfully?

Also, does anyone know where to find the specs on the allowable top tether anchor locations? I know I've seen a diagram but now I can't remember where it was.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I currently have a Radian XT installed FF in my 2006 Civic. I had to tighten the tether FIRST, then install the seat. It is REALLY tight now.

bnsnyde

I will be curious about this too.
The Prosports in our Civic are top-tethered and I don't feel they are as tight as I'd like them due to the same problem. But they can't get any tighter.
(I don't make them TIGHT, but you know, firm without slack).

cbf123

Good to see that someone did it. :)

Incidentally, I found the regs. If anyone is interested, there are diagrams showing the allowable tether anchor locations in Figures 2-6 of 210.1 (12) on this webpage.

mommycat

I have used older-style Radian65s in 2001 and 2007 Civic models. The tether is tricky but doable. I usualy tighten them almost tight enough and make sure that the (uber-long) tail is sticking out the top and that the straps are lined up nicely, then press the seat back to hold it all in place and install. The adjuster will be behind the seat but leaving the tail out allows you to tighten. Pull up at an angle matching the vee-strap angle to tighten up the tether - it usually takes some time to wiggle things around and tug to tighten in between but I usually get the tether completely tight despite the adjuster being buried. Then tuck the tail in behind the shell (ouch! skinned knuckles). It's easier in the 2001 which doesn't have removable headrests (the bump is usually dented by the strap when I'm done) but still perfectly doable in the 2007.

ETA NOw that I think of it, I think maybe the top tether is different on the newer Radians? Off to investigate. The older ones have a sliding hook and the adjuster is on one side of the vee. ETA2 or do they? It's been a while. LOL. And I have a Britax to confuse the matter as well.

ETA3 Here's a newer one but it looks odd so I think mine are different?? I really should stay out of here until I get my facts straight. :eek:
http://www.babyssentials.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/sunshine-kids-xt-rear-l.jpg

Last edited:

cbf123

ETA3 Here's a newer one but it looks odd so I think mine are different?? I really should stay out of here until I get my facts straight. :eek:
http://www.babyssentials.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/sunshine-kids-xt-rear-l.jpg

That's what mine looks like but my buddy's has a push-button mechanism for the tether strap rather than the pull-to-release that is in the picture.

Anyways, we tightened the top tether first and then he kneeled on the seat and tightened it down to a solid install. That said...either SKJP or Honda was pushing the boundaries of the specs. The tether strap had to be tightened absolutely as far as it would go.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC