radian xt sl??

scuby20

ok so I haven't really been on here much, but I see there is something new with the radian xt, there is an xtsl.....I bought my daughter a radian xt about a year ago....so I'm assuming it isn't an sl. So I hear the SL can RF to 45 lbs??? is the radian xt still just 40 lbs. My daughter has about 5 lbs till se reaches 40lbs.....she rides in a radian in my van. (I'm on "vacation" and don't have my van right now so can't go look at her car seat)....she rides in a complete air here at grandma's house.....anyways...so there is a new super latch that you can use past the 45lb limit, even past the vehicle recommendation?
someone bring me up to speed please lol

ps, anyone know what the latch weight limit is for a 2005 dodge grand caravan?

ADS

scuby20

also...once she does forward face....(she turned 3 in april, and is still RF'ing which I am so happy about!!!!!)

anyways, once she does FF, is there anything that is safer by keeping her in her radian, or is a convertable just as good FF'ing? The reason I ask is because I have a son, who will definatly outgrow his current britax blvd by weight long before I want him to FF. I know I can put my daughter in the britax FF'ing when he needs her radian....but I might just either get another radian for her, or a convertable for FF'ing?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A Radian is a convertible. Convertibles go from rear to forward facing. Provided she fits, either the Boulevard or Radian is fine forward facing.

You can use the SL with the Radian if you car was made after September 1, 2005. You'd have to check your van. Otherwise, your LATCH limit, and the LATCH limit of the Radian XT, is 48 pounds.

Your XT rear faces to 40 pounds. The XTSL and 80SL rear face to 45.

Wendy

scuby20

ok thanks.....and I guess when I said convertable, I was thinking those ones that turn into high back boosters later...but I'd rather just have her in a 5pt harness anyways....well darn, I guess I bought the radian just a little to early lol...though the super latch thing still wouldnt work, because my van was made in 04, but is an 05. I just like the 80lb weight limit for the radian, so maybe I'll get my son the newer one, since he seems to be the chunk lol...when he outgrows the weight limit on the britax, and just sell the britax......goodness all these options....or I guess I can use the britax in my husbands car when we get him a new one, and my daughter can FF in it, since I will have made it to 3.5 years with her RF'ing it would be ok to let her FF in daddy's new car.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Those are combination seats. I agree, they should be switched. You can put her in a combination seat, those have harnesses, and are an option for a 3.5 35 pound child.

Wendy

scuby20

ok, so would you take the 3.5 year old and put her in the britax ff'ing till she outgrows that (50lbs??) and then get her a combo seat that would turn into a high back booster...and put the 1.5 year old in the radian.....or, should I get the 1.5 year old a new radian, and just FF the 3.5 year old in her radian?

Also, when my husband gets a new car, we have to get 2 more carseats for his car, now that I'll allow them to ride in his car once he gets his new one. (his current one is to tiny) Was thinking about getting 2 complete air's for both of them for his car, since they can RF to 40lbs but I think it's only 50 ff'ing..

ugh. not sure what to do...what would you do?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Boulevard has a 65 pound limit, or when the shoulders go over the top slots, which is 16" or a hair over.

The Radians and Complete Air have 17.5" top slots, so they're all outgrown at the same time by torso height. The CA does have kids hitting the 50 pound limit first sometimes, though next to none will get close to 80 pounds in a Radian. Most outgrow a Radian around 60 pounds. Your daughter seems light though your say your son's a chunk. He may go over the 50 pounds before you're ready for him to be done in a harness. Your daughter, probably not. So she could go straight from the CA to a booster. Or a Radian to a booster.

Though if you have a Radian and a Boulevard now, what I'd probably do is buy her two combination seats and give your son both convertibles. Unless you don't want to forward face her, in which case I'd probably get a couple of XTSLs or 80SLs so that way you can play musical seats with them and your son's seats as each kid hits different weight limits.

Wendy

Jennifer mom to my 7

I would just wait and see:)

Wait until she is closer to 40 pounds, or your ds is closer to the 33 or 35 pound rf limit of the bv, and reevaluate. THere may be more options by then.

scuby20

yeah, currently he is 24.1 lbs with no clothes on....his britax in our van is the 33lb limit...my mom's car has the 35lb britax one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC