Radian Install

kflek

I finally got my son's Radian installed in my Rav 4. It was VERY hard to get it tight and I am bleeding but it is finally in. I just have a few questions. I am including pics to see what you all think. Sorry about DS's face in first pic he was not happy becasue I was having trouble tightening the harness. It will get really tight on left but the right side is a little loose? I can pinch it. I loosened and tightened it 3 times and always the same result. How can I fix that? Also in pic three you will see how the seal belt is creased a little. Everytime we tightened it it did that no matter what. We unstraped it 3 times to try to fix it but nothing. Is that ok? The Raidan is the first 4 pics. Thanks.

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/kflekphoto/

ADS

crunchierthanthou

are you sick of me responding to your posts yet? :p

Is the harness adjuster getting pinched somewhere under or behind the Radian? That might cause it to tighten unevenly. I know that is sometimes an issue with the radian, but I was thinking it was only a problem when rf.

I'm not familiar enough with the harness on the Radian to know whether it is one continuous piece of webbing. The harness sometimes tightens unevenly in seats like the Scenera because the two sides of the harness are formed by one piece of webbing that runs through the base of the seat and one side gets pulled farther than the other. To even them out, pull the right side (or whichever is getting tighter) near where it comes out of the base near the child's hip. If it is one long piece, more harness webbing will slide through and the left/longer side should get shorter. You'll have to do it with the harness unbuckled. If both sides of the harness are individual pieces of webbing, then I'm not sure how to fix it. Something must be getting hung up somewhere.

It's okay if the seatbelt bunches a bit.

What does your vehicle manual say about tethers and headrests? It should state whether you should route over or under or remove them all together.

USmominOz

I would take the headrest off, because the seat is not sitting against your back seat there is a gap which might help the seatbelt sit better.

Also when you tighten the harness straps try pulling down towards the floor.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Definitely remove the headrest or reposition the top tether so that it is going under the headrest.

The bunching of the seatbelt is fine.

Check that the harness didn't get mistakenly put through a different harness slot... looks around sheepishly as she posts this one from experience. :eek: Otherwise, check that it's not caught up on something in the back.

Does it tighten properly when it's not in the vehicle?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Just chiming in here to reiterate the advice about the headrest. The LATCH manual indicates the '06 RAV4 owner's manual says to remove the vehicle headrest, then connect the top tether strap, and then re-install the headrest. It should be the same for the OP's '07 RAV4, most likely, as it's the same design as the '06 model. There should be a blurb in the owner's manual to double check.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC