RA50 vs Marathon crotch strap length

fyrfightermomma

So my big man is getting bigger and doesn't have a huge amount of room in his RA55 anymore. Plus I hate the big sides. Since he's still a floppy blob who doesn't help at all, getting him wrangled into the seat is sort of laughable at best. The girls rode in MA's until over age 3 and it was much easier to get them in. I have a RA50 in DH's car but the crotch strap is uber short. Like won't fit around his chunky legs. I don't remember the MA being an issue with Sophia (she was my chunk a lunk prior to JJ)

I saw the deal at Target and thought maybe I'd get another one to give him a few more months but then remembered the crotch strap. Plus he'll be in cloth dipes for several more years so he's not getting any skinnier.

So am I remembering right? The MA crotch strap is longer? I hate spending extra on a MA just for a crotch strap. It's 30 bucks more. Can you change them out?? I can't afford a Radian for him and even if I could, The thing installs like crap in my car.

If it's longer maybe I'll just looked for a used MA in swap. Honestly, I have to say the MA was the easiest RFing seat I've ever used. It was never hard to buckle or tighten. Kinda a bummer with all these new bigger seats with higher limits coming out, none seem to be as user friendly :(

If I can get this kid RFing to 2 I'll be happy. Not sure that's gonna happen at this rate :(

ADS

fyrfightermomma

I don't know about the crotch strap, but I'm curious if he still fits in the Shuttle 33?

No he's done. :( He outgrew it officially about 2 weeks ago. But honestly, he only has like 3 inches more in the RA55 over the Shuttle. That thing is crazy tall! I couldn't believe it got him to 12 months. 7 months after outgrowing the SS1 and 10 months after outgrowing the KF30!

wvmommy007

I guess the MyRide and its huge sides are out. What about the Complete Air, if you aren't opposed to Dorel seats? It doesn't have huge sides does it? I honestly don't know. I've never used one.

As a side note, I got my Shuttle around the time you got yours. My DD is 14 months and still has growing room, plus another click up on the head rest. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm pretty sure all the 'classic' seats have the short crotch straps, the MA70 definitely has a longer one, but it has the deep sides you don't love...

fyrfightermomma

I'm pretty sure all the 'classic' seats have the short crotch straps, the MA70 definitely has a longer one, but it has the deep sides you don't love...

And the whole outgrowing it thing too LOL. It just feels like the RA50 is so much shorter than the old MA. I dunno. Maybe I'm losing it. I don't have a MA anymore to compare to

ANd on the multi tech, I'd love one but if I can't afford a Radian, I'm sure not gonna be able to afford a multi tech! LOL.

Honestly the only seat I ever liked RFing was my MA's. And of course those only have a 35 lb limit and aren't made anymore LOL.

And no, I HATE big sides on RFing seats. Love them on FFing seats. Despise them on RFing seats.

Chely7425

Does the radian install at all in your car? Like, is it just a PITB or totally not happening? I have seen some really good deals lately and I bet you could get a 65SL for around the same price as a classic MA....

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
And the whole outgrowing it thing too LOL. It just feels like the RA50 is so much shorter than the old MA. I dunno. Maybe I'm losing it. I don't have a MA anymore to compare to

ANd on the multi tech, I'd love one but if I can't afford a Radian, I'm sure not gonna be able to afford a multi tech! LOL.

Honestly the only seat I ever liked RFing was my MA's. And of course those only have a 35 lb limit and aren't made anymore LOL.

And no, I HATE big sides on RFing seats. Love them on FFing seats. Despise them on RFing seats.

How about a RA50 (based on the DC)? Can you still find those? It has the same crotch strap as the MA but with an outer strap position that made a big difference IME. It's the reason I went with a DC over the MA for DS2.

ETA - sorry didn't read carefully before I replied. The RA50 is definitely the same size as the classic MA. Top harness slots might be a smidge taller too.

cpsaddict

The only issue with the RA50 and the outer crotch strap position is that you cannot use it when rf, at least according to my manual. My nephew and DD both could use the outer location due to chubby thighs, but the manual says no.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
The only issue with the RA50 and the outer crotch strap position is that you cannot use it when rf, at least according to my manual. My nephew and DD both could use the outer location due to chubby thighs, but the manual says no.

Yeah, I forgot about that. I made the parental decision to use it anyway once I felt it was needed. :whistle:

Holly

I use my RA50 w/ the crotch strap in the furthest out spot.
The manual says not to, but it also says not to have it under the child either.
It's under ds's bum if it's in the middle spot.
I called Britax after I got it and asked about it. I was told it's ok to use in the furthest out spot, they just changed it in the manual to avoid parents installing the seat wrong, having the seat belt interefere w/ the strap.
If you know how to install it carefully and right, it's ok to use the strap there.
Thats what I was told anyway.

momtoo3

The MA Classic at Target has a really short crotch strap. I played with one yesterday with DS3 (stats in siggy) and it was really short compared to his other seats. It was the reason it stayed at the store. He never complains and said "ta ty" (too tight.) I too hate how hard it is to get him over the high sides of his MR. I love his CA and so does he. I have always disliked Dorel seats but love the CA. I wish it fit between 2 boosters in DH's car. Anyways, good luck finding a seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC