QUICK - Need to choose a booster for tall skinny 6yo

blondchen

My 6yo is tall and skinny: 48 inches tall, 39 pounds, 17 inches shoulder height when sitting. In our car she is in a Radian in booster mode, but I need a new seat for her for the grandparents' car - IMMEDIATELY, as in TODAY, because DH and I are going a trip for three days and it just occurred to me that the grandparents' current seats are not safe (they are outgrown since the last time). DH doesn't want to put our seats in their car - long story.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I need for DD6. She seems too small for a backless based on her weight, but she is so tall, and I don't know if I need to spend the extra money on a highback. I will do what I need to do to keep her safe, though. DH's parents have a 1997 Suburban. My kids sit three across in the middle row, with the other seat being a convertible in FF mode for DD3 (can't remember which one - I think it's Evenflo).

ETA: My 8yo will have a backless booster in the grandparents' car.

ADS

JlynnB

Hopefully one of the experts will chime in here soon for you, but I have a couple of thoughts. I do know that some no back boosters, like the Harmony Youth, are rated from 30 lbs and up; while others are 40 lbs and up. One other consideration, though, is whether or not all of the seats in the Suburban have head support. My dad has an older Suburban (not sure what year), and the middle seats have no headrests while the outboard ones are super short. The middle seats in his are also lap belt only, so if the '97 is similar that's where you'll have your convertible. But I'd make sure that any child in a backless booster in an outboard seat has good head support. I'd probably spend the extra on a HBB primarily for that reason. I bought a TurboBooster for my dad's Suburban and it works well in there. We aren't doing 3-across, but it's a fairly narrow seat, though not the most narrow.

blondchen

One other consideration, though, is whether or not all of the seats in the Suburban have head support. My dad has an older Suburban (not sure what year), and the middle seats have no headrests while the outboard ones are super short. The middle seats in his are also lap belt only, so if the '97 is similar that's where you'll have your convertible. But I'd make sure that any child in a backless booster in an outboard seat has good head support.
Yes, I need to run over there today to see what the head support situation is, in any case.

For seats that get VERY limited use, I'd hate to spend more than double for a highback, but the kiddos need to be safe when they DO ride in that car.

SnoGurl

I don't have any advice for your current situation, but I will be the bearer of bad news and say she will need a different seat for your car as well-- unless it changes across models, the radian has a 50lbs minimum for booster mode. It often makes the booster mode useless for many kids.
Posted via Mobile Device

blondchen

I don't have any advice for your current situation, but I will be the bearer of bad news and say she will need a different seat for your car as well-- unless it changes across models, the radian has a 50lbs minimum for booster mode. It often makes the booster mode useless for many kids.
Posted via Mobile Device
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

How did I miss this??? I am usually so careful about this stuff. Ugh.

Okay - another new seat for our car TODAY. I've been wanting to switch DD3 into the harnessed Radian anyway because it has a lower profile and is easier to climb into (and I was planning to do that once her Marathon expires in a few months) so we'll just make the switch now instead.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If the grandparents have headrests I'd look at the Cosco Pronto for the six year old.

You just need the one seat, nothing for the three year old over there?

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC