• Radian

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Recaro Young Sport

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Graco Nautlius

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

shllywlly

POLL: Help me decide UPDATE: Can I see pics?

I've been researching and going back and forth and made several posts regarding what seat to get for my DS. Most of the ones that I am interested in I can't see or touch, because no one around here carries them. So....I'll give you the stats, and you tell me which seat to get.

DS is 2.5 yrs old.
Torso: 13"
Height: 36.5"
Weight: 25#

I drive a 2004 Saturn VUE with latch and locking seat belts.

DS is currently in a Marathon, but I'm looking into buying him another seat and giving DD the Marathon. I tried the Regent and it is just too big for my car. I'm thinking about another Marathon, a Radian, a Nautilus, Recaro Young Sport, or either a Decathalon or Blvd. what is my best bet to last the longest yet still fit in my car?

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

Is your child rear facing or forward facing in the carseat? With the stats you listed, he would easily still fit rearfacing and would be much safer. If you wanted a rearfacing seat, then that would rule out the nautilus or the young sport.

kimogilvie

I voted Blvd. because you son is able to RF-ing for quite a while yet - eliminating the nautilus and young sport choices. Out of the 3 remaining - I just love my blvd. ;-)

shllywlly

We just recently turned him FFing. He was getting really uncomfortable and was beginning to be really unhappy in the car. It was also getting difficult to get a good secure buckle. With the crotch depth in the MA and he long legs, It caused the chest section of the harness to be loose and the leg section to be tight. I could never get it adjusted properly.

shllywlly

Can I see pics of your LO in a BLVD and a Radian? I'm curious as to how the fit it. Seeing that I can't check them out myself...:eek:

kimogilvie

Here's my DS. His stats: 2.5 yo, 23.5 lbs, 36 inches, 12.5 inch torso

In the radian
IMG_0448.jpg

Harness height in Radian
IMG_0449.jpg

In the Boulevard
IMG_0453.jpg

Harness height in Boulevard
i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90/gt_kim/nathan%20carseat/IMG_0455.jpg

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Mikkel is 2.5 years old, 27lbs, 36" with a 13" torso in this photo...
Excuse the face... he was ticked off that I would not close the van door...
859135382_927fe4070c.jpg

If you are wanting to RF him, I would say Radian. If there is no way you are turning him back, I would say Radian or Nautilus.

ETA: He still sits with his legs hanging over the side of the Radian, regardless of whether it's RFing or FFing. ;) :D

ETA #2: I'd vote Radian because I know I'd want a dedicated booster later on, one that preferably LATCHes into the vehicle so that I don't have to remember to buckle an unoccupied booster all the time. :)

southpawboston

it would also be useful to know that car this would be going in, as some of the seats you mentioned install better than others in different cars. the radian in particular can be a bear in some cars. so without knowing what year, make and model you have, any recommendations would have to assume that the seat installs well in your car.

shllywlly

So...How does the Radian compare in size to the Regent? I tried the Regent in my car and it had a funky install and was ENOURMOUS!!! I installed FFing and it looked like DS should have just been in the front seat. It was way too big.

I really do like the growth room on the radian. We're probably gonna turn him back around RFing. My DH is a freak about the whole thing. He thinks that the risk of him getting hurt is minor compared to his comfort level. WHATEVER!!!! This coming from the man who freaked out when I wanted a home birth and those risks are much smaller. Men...can't tell them anything...:p

jwren

If you have a few months, wait for the frontier (Britax) your son's measurments are exactly like my youngest and I know that he will be outgrowing the Marathon before ds#1..I've looked at all (not in person) the GN sounds great too, but if you like Britax as I do and can wait this new one sounds like it will give the most time to the bigger kids..then converts to a booster to 100 lbs.. I am guessing you won't need another seat... I loved the Safeguard seat, but the crotch strap was only 1/2" deeper than the Marathon that both my boys are in now... and that is the main complaint.. My boys actually still fit in the Marathons other than that...From what I hear the new Frontier will retail around $270, so it's a little more than the Marathon, but not by much...and it should last the longest:rolleyes:;)...

kimogilvie

The radian is much much narrower in comparison to the Regent. Obviously my DS is a peanut, but in the regent he looks like a newborn. ;-)

sfeitler

The radian is much much narrower in comparison to the Regent. Obviously my DS is a peanut, but in the regent he looks like a newborn. ;-)

:yeahthat: The Radian, next to the MA, looks about the same size--maybe slightly taller, but it's so narrow, it doesn't look "big" at all.

But because it doesn't sit on a base, it seats taller kids.

If there's any hope of turning your DS RF again, I'd go with the Radian, assuming it's compatible with your car.

-Sarah

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC