Question Please Help

U

Unregistered

Hi, I had my daughter two months ago. At the same time my husbands job relocated. So we have a house in one state and a town home in another. We only have one car at the moment so I have to travel with him otherwise I won't even be able to get groceries. The problem I face is the drive takes 5 hours. Between the two states. And my daughter cries for a good portion of the drive, sometimes even to the point of chocking, and me needing to pull over. I'm hoping that her misery has something to do with her carseat I'm using the safety first alpha omega and its horribly uncomfortable for myself as well(seats have to be pulled all the way forward) even then its not quite level on the bucket seat of my 05 Ford focus. Can you please recommend some comfortable/safer car seats?

ADS

ctbcleveland

Your car seat isn't unsafe, but small children do sometimes feel more comfortable in a bucket seat because it reclines nicely for them. I really like the Graco Snugride product line but I think the Chicco Key Fit is also nice. Graco tends to be a little cheaper and last longer than the Key Fit, but both are very nice seats. If you decide to go with an infant seat, remember to look for one that adjusts in the front, meaning there is a long tail that you pull near the child's crotch that will tighten the seat.

Since your daughter isn't a newborn, another good choice would be a Coccoro. I obviously don't fit in it, so I don't know first hand, but it seriously looks like the most comfy carseat out there.

Couple more comments - some kids are just not great in the car at that age. I would try to stay put in the townhouse where your DH is working rather than all of you going back and forth on a regular basis. Also, I found it better to sit in the back seat with my kid rather than in the front with my husband.

Hope this helps - good luck.

Vicky

I think a KeyFit may work well. If you could give us a buget, and you're daughter's height and weight, we could help a little more.

featherhead

Yes, I would definitely get a different seat. It is likely that your daughter is not big enough for the seat. For rear-facing the straps need to be below her shoulders. The lowest strap position on the alpha omega seats is quite high and not suitable for most babies before 6-12 months or so, depending on the length of the baby's torso.

Some seats you could try that would likely fit her better, give you more room, and hopefully make her more comfortable would be the Combi Cocorro, Evenflo Triumph, Graco MyRide, First Years True Fit, Britax Marathon, and I'm sure there are others.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC