Please help with a 3 across in my '07 Camry

Tubabyblues

CPS Technician
I am stressing BIG TIME over puzzling seats together! I know it can be done ... I just need lots of guidance about what seats to use and how to best position them.

My 4.5 yo is 40 lbs with a 15" torso. He is currently harnessed in a Nautilus.
My 2.5 yo is 25 lbs with a 12.5" torso. He is currently RF'ing in a MyRide.
Baby #3 is expected around Thanksgiving, and will likely be a small baby.

I just purchased a Radian R100 and an angle adjuster, planning on using it for my younger son and getting rid of his enormous MyRide. I know I will need to get rid of my older son's Nautilus as well, but I'm stuck on what to replace it with. I want to keep him harnessed for quite a while longer, and all the solutions I have seen are for boostered kids.

I have a Graco Snugride from my first two children that doesn't expire until December 2013, so I would obviously like to keep that one in the mix if at all possible. But I do understand that I might have to replace that one as well.

Please help!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What I'd probably do for now is try two Radians. One rear, one forward, and then use the infant seat. Then when baby outgrows the infant seat, pass down the Radian and see how much room you have to work with.

Wendy

Tubabyblues

CPS Technician
What I'd probably do for now is try two Radians. One rear, one forward, and then use the infant seat. Then when baby outgrows the infant seat, pass down the Radian and see how much room you have to work with.

Wendy

This is what I assumed I would wind up having to do, but was just trying to avoid it ... only because I heard that the Radian really isn't a great option for my older son. How long do you think he would be able to use the Radian before he outgrows it? I understand that kids typically outgrow it as a booster at the same time they outgrow it in the harness, so I was hoping for a longer-lasting option. I'm definitely realizing there may not be one, though. I'm almost considering just ordering the second Radian now since it's a pretty sure bet I'll need it, instead of going to a local store first to try it before buying it.

monstah

You already have a RN ordered? Maybe when you get it, try it out FF for your older DS and see how much growing room he has.
If you post a picture, we can take a guess.

aept

Tubabyblues said:
This is what I assumed I would wind up having to do, but was just trying to avoid it ... only because I heard that the Radian really isn't a great option for my older son. How long do you think he would be able to use the Radian before he outgrows it? I understand that kids typically outgrow it as a booster at the same time they outgrow it in the harness, so I was hoping for a longer-lasting option. I'm definitely realizing there may not be one, though. I'm almost considering just ordering the second Radian now since it's a pretty sure bet I'll need it, instead of going to a local store first to try it before buying it.

If your oldest has a 15 inch torso, he will likely fit in a ff radian for at least two more years, that's my guess based on my own kids with similar sizes at that age.
I would view 2 radians as a great long-term solution. I think 2 of the 3 seats being radians will give you the best success and most flexibility in achieving a 3-across with a variety of seats at the third seat. For now, probably an infant seat. In a few more years, pass the oldest's radian to the baby and get a booster for your oldest. The total amount of years that each radian gets to be used will be good - probably about 4 years for the middle child's radian, and probably 6-7 or so total for the one which would belong to the oldest/baby. (That's just considering their useful life as a harnessed seat. I don't personally plan on using radians as boosters at all.)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Nimommyof2

If you have a MR and Radian I would see if they can work together. I would try the MR RF outboard, Radian FF center, and than the baby can fit on the other side. Than try the MR FF and the Radian RF. It might work.

Tubabyblues

CPS Technician
You already have a RN ordered? Maybe when you get it, try it out FF for your older DS and see how much growing room he has.
If you post a picture, we can take a guess.

What a great idea that I totally should have thought of! :) Here he is (I hope I did it right) .... I just propped the seat up against a wall in my house to take a quick look.

I did install the RN earlier tonight RF'ing with the angle adjuster for my younger son, and I actually love it so far. We'll take our first official ride in it tomorrow. I could definitely use this for my older son FF'ing if that works out better with puzzling though. I plan to try the FF'ing RN, RF'ing MyRide, and infant seat combo tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20120530_153007.jpg
    IMG_20120530_153007.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 28

Tubabyblues

CPS Technician
If your oldest has a 15 inch torso, he will likely fit in a ff radian for at least two more years, that's my guess based on my own kids with similar sizes at that age.
I would view 2 radians as a great long-term solution. I think 2 of the 3 seats being radians will give you the best success and most flexibility in achieving a 3-across with a variety of seats at the third seat. For now, probably an infant seat. In a few more years, pass the oldest's radian to the baby and get a booster for your oldest. The total amount of years that each radian gets to be used will be good - probably about 4 years for the middle child's radian, and probably 6-7 or so total for the one which would belong to the oldest/baby. (That's just considering their useful life as a harnessed seat. I don't personally plan on using radians as boosters at all.)

This is EXTREMELY helpful! I actually am much more comfortable with the thought of using two RN's now that I have one installed and see the space it saves overall.

Tubabyblues

CPS Technician
If you have a MR and Radian I would see if they can work together. I would try the MR RF outboard, Radian FF center, and than the baby can fit on the other side. Than try the MR FF and the Radian RF. It might work.

My mind was so set on having to get rid of the MyRide before the Nautilus that I didn't even consider that the MyRide could possibly fit RF'ing beside a FF'ing Radian. I am absolutely trying this tomorrow. I just had my husband pull the infant seat down from the storage room so I can play with all three seats together in my backseat. Fingers crossed this works! Thank you!!

aept

wendytthomas said:
Your son looks like he's got three or four inches above his shoulders. So three to four years in the Radian. :)

Wendy

Oh yeah. He looks great in it. You're totally justified in getting a second one if you need to. Good luck trying the MR!

Tubabyblues

CPS Technician
Alright, just tried a couple of arrangements with the Radian, MyRide, and Snugride, and the moral to the story is that the MyRide will not cooperate with a 3-across in my car.

With the Radian FF'ing in the center, the Snugride fits great on the driver's side. But the MyRide will not fit RF'ing or FF'ing on the passenger side beside it.

I think I will keep the Radian installed RF'ing on the passenger side for now (because I actually really like the seat so far!!), and go this weekend to a local Babies R Us to see if maybe a SecureKid will fit in the center beside it (it's worth a try, right?). And then I can see if the Snugride will fit beside the SecureKid on the driver's side.

If that's a no-go, I'll just order a second Radian and use that FF'ing in the center for my older son with the Snugride beside it on the driver's side. I'm at least glad to know that I CAN figure out a combo that will puzzle and work for everyone.

Thank you for all your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC