Please help me pick 3 seats for air/rental car travel

baj

My family is going on a long weekend air + rental mini van trip and I need some help figuring out the car seats. My kids ride in seats that I am not interested in taking along, and I think I would rather buy seats for the trip than try to rent from the car rental company. My priorities are for the seats to be as light and inexpensive as possible, and to be easy to install in a variety of vehicles since I don't know exactly what we will be driving. Here are the details on my kids and their current seats:

DD #1: 6.5 years, 52 lbs., 75% height, currently in a Frontier 85 in harness mode with the shoulder harness 18.5" above the seat.
Idea: Cosco Pronto or High-Back Booster (in booster mode)? She's never used the seat belt before, is she too young to use a backless booster? That sure would make life easier but not if it's not safe for her. Otherwise, would either of the Cosco seats be a good bet?

DD #2: almost 4 years, 42 lbs., 75% height, currently in a Frontier 85 in harness mode with the shoulder harness 16" above the seat.
Idea: Really not sure, since most of the light/inexpensive FF seats only allow harness up to 40 lbs. and she seems too young for a belt positioning booster.

DS: 1.5 years, 25 lbs., 95% height, currently RF in a Foonf with the shoulder harness 13" above the seat.
Idea: RF Cocso Scenera

Thank you for any help you can provide!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What's your budget?

I'd use a booster for the 6 year old. I'd booster train before going, though. If you bring a back I'd buy one with a detachable back, and pack the back well padded but bring the bottom on board in a carryon or with her carrying it to stow under the seat in front, just in case. Don't use the Cosco High Back Booster. Not only is it short in harness mode it makes an unsafe booster. The Pronto should work, or a High Back Turbo Booster.

Since you won't be doing a three across width isn't an issue, so I'd go for an Evenflo Titan 65/SureRide for the 4 year old. Light, cheap, easy to install, tall harness (your 6 year old should actually still fit), 65 lb limit.

The Scenera is a great choice for the baby as long as she fits (you'll want to check that), just bring a towel in your carryon to roll up for the install if needed. The same seat I recommended for the 4 year old would also work.

Good luck and safe travels!

baj

What's your budget?

I'd use a booster for the 6 year old. I'd booster train before going, though."
Good luck and safe travels!

The budget is as little as possible, but as much as is necessary to be safe, I guess.

When you say you'd use a booster for the 6 year old, do you mean a backless one?

You know, I think I've done a good job with this whole car seat thing up till now, but I'm really kind of confused about the transition from front-facing harness to booster (high-back, backless, etc). Thanks again for the help!

aeormsby

If there's little to no chance your 6yo will fall asleep while driving I'd go with a NBB to make it easier. Definitely practice before the trip (and for on the plane stash it under the seat or in the overhead bin, boosters can't be used on the plane). I really like this one for an extra/travel seat: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Juvenile-Youth-Booster-Car-Seat-Hot-Rod/16939672 (it comes in different colors, it's just not letting me search right now).

If you think a HBB would be better there is also this option: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Folding-Travel-Booster-Car-Seat/22301298 It should be small enough folded to fit in the overhead bin.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Backless boosters and high back boosters have the same function- to position the belt properly on the child.

My oldest daughter was harnessed for long rides/primary car until 7 1/2 but took a backless booster on vacation at age 6 1/2- but she'd been riding part time in a high back since she was five. I wouldn't put a child who had never ridden in a booster in a backless on vacation. I'd also only take a booster at all if I had time to try her out in one at home.

Ideally the transition to full time booster use is a continuum of gradually more booster and less harness as the child gains the skills to stay upright even when asleep, etc. (and yes, they're skills that have to be learned and practiced.)

Vacation/spare seat short term short trip use is one of those slide points on the continuum, an ideal time to increase it a little- as long as you've tried it first to make sure there's no problem that will lead to her needing a harness a bit longer all the time.

If you try her in a high back and she does great, you might try a backless at home, though, as it WOULD be easier to travel with if it positions the belt well and she does well with it.

baj

If there's little to no chance your 6yo will fall asleep while driving I'd go with a NBB to make it easier. Definitely practice before the trip (and for on the plane stash it under the seat or in the overhead bin, boosters can't be used on the plane). I really like this one for an extra/travel seat: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Juvenile-Youth-Booster-Car-Seat-Hot-Rod/16939672 (it comes in different colors, it's just not letting me search right now).

If you think a HBB would be better there is also this option: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Folding-Travel-Booster-Car-Seat/22301298 It should be small enough folded to fit in the overhead bin.

Thanks, those look like interesting options. She would love the flame job cover on the backless one!

baj

What's your budget?

Since you won't be doing a three across width isn't an issue, so I'd go for an Evenflo Titan 65/SureRide for the 4 year old. Light, cheap, easy to install, tall harness (your 6 year old should actually still fit), 65 lb limit.

The Scenera is a great choice for the baby as long as she fits (you'll want to check that), just bring a towel in your carryon to roll up for the install if needed. The same seat I recommended for the 4 year old would also work.

I found the Titan 65 sold as a 2-pack by Child Source for about what it would cost for me to get a Scenera and a SureRide DLX; I'm thinking about the Titan for both the 1.5 and 4 year olds. From your comment about not having to do 3 across, is the Titan/SureRide a lot wider than the Scenera? I never thought about the Scenera being too small for my 1.5 year old, but I will certainly check.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's wider and taller, though it takes up very close to the same room front to back. But in a minivan you should be fine. The two pack was going to be my suggestion if you wanted two. :) Sign up for emails and you get $10 off, which should close to cover shipping.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh and to warn you, the folding booster is very short. Based on your description your daughter has likely already outgrown it.

baj

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I ordered the 2-pack of Titan 65s for the two smaller kids. I think those will be perfect. Two questions about use on the plane:

After some measuring of my 6.5 year old and reading of specs, I think the Harmony folding travel booster will probably still fit, so I might give that a try. In the meantime we will do some booster training with our Frontier 85 and see how that goes. She is pretty mature and there should not be any long and/or nighttime drives on our trip so keeping her awake in the booster should not be a problem.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Just a warning, the Frontier 85 sometimes doesn't fit well in booster mode for kids who haven't outgrown it in harness mode yet. Make sure the lap and shoulder belt fit is good before starting. :) Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC