Question Please help-4.5 yo not yet ready for booster

B

bmr1230

We purchased an Evenflo Chase DLX in 2010 for DH's car when DD was 3. It had good reviews back then, and we thought we could continue to use it when she needed a booster at age 5. Well, I just found out this seat was rated "not recommended" by the IIHS. I also just realized that at 40-lb, DD can no longer use the harness, as the mfg recommends seat belt after 40-lb. I read many recent reviews that using this seat with a seat belt is definitely not recommended.

It is back to square one again trying to find her a seat. DD is very active, and I don't trust her in a booster. Yet, I don't want to invest in another seat that would only last her only 1 year. We also have the Radian 80 that is too difficult for me to remove whenever I have to leave it for a caregiver. We really need two new seats for her, one for my car and one for DH's, that could secure her safely now and convert to a booster when she is older.

There aren't too many seats that harness over 40 pounds and convert to a booster. The Graco Nautilus may work, but it has "Check Fit" rating when used as a booster. At this price, I don't want to take the chance that it doesn't fit her when used as a booster. Even if I test the booster setting and it may work in my current car, I would be taking a chance if I purchase a new car.

Should I purchase a highback booster instead. The First Year Compass and Graco Turbobooster both rate high by Consumer Reports. But again, the Compass has a "Check Fit" rating with IIHS, same with the Turbobooster when using the backless setting. Although these seats are cheaper, I am still worried about putting DD in a booster right now. I have been spending hours researching this issue and can't figure out a good solution. Please help. Thanks.

What should I do?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Consumer Reports sucks. I wouldn't trust them.

There are many many seats that harness over 40 pounds and turn into decent boosters. The Evenflo Maestro is about $70, but the booster is outgrown soon after the harness. The Evenflo SecureKids go to 65 pounds and booster well. The Graco Nautilus and Argos are fantastic, and the belt fit is good to great on many kids, and not so good on some kids. The Britax Frontier is generally a good fit, and the Recaro ProSport is very very comfy.

All boosters are "check fit." Some fit more kids better, but even the Turbo can be a bad fit for some kids.

Wendy

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'd look at the Maestro since you need 2 of them. They are light, easy to install, and will harness to 50 pounds. They have good tall slots so should last you at least another year or so. Then, you can get a dedicated booster like the Turbobooster.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
You are also underestimating your childs need for a harness. While some 5 year olds are ready for a booster, many children aren't ready until 6, 7 even 8 or more years of age to be in a booster full time. And if she is already showing you that she is on the more wiggly, less mature side of things, you may very well need that harness for much more than another year. :)

grouprn

sorry to hijack, but what exactly does "check fit rating" mean? Is it just to make sure the belt is hitting at the right spot on the shouler?

Brianna

sorry to hijack, but what exactly does "check fit rating" mean? Is it just to make sure the belt is hitting at the right spot on the shouler?

The Institute puts the booster seats it tests into 4 categories:

BEST BETS are seats that provide good fit for typical 4 to 8 year-olds in almost any car, minivan, or SUV.
GOOD BETS provide acceptable fit in most cars, minivans, or SUVs.
Not recommended don’t provide good fit and should be avoided.
Check fit applies to booster seats the Institute has tested that have varied results depending on child size and vehicle model.
http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/default.html

The IIHS uses a 6 year old dummy to judge belt fit, so their ratings are based on how the booster fit their dummy. Children are built very differently though, so that's why Wendy said they're all check fit. If you have a 6 year old the size of their dummy, there's a good chance that the "best bet" booster will work well for you child but it's never a guarantee.

henrietta

The Graco Nautilus is on sale this week for $125 at Target. Even if it doesn't fit your dd well as a booster in the car you've bought it for, it will likely be a useable booster later on in another car. It's a nice seat, worth the money.

The Evenflo Maestro is about $70-85, depending on the store. Toys R Us has the "Henderson" pattern (brown/tan), and they currently have a little coupon book in store that you can use a 20% off coupon on it on some days this month.

Target also has the Maestro-in a grey/w/yellow edging. It's cute.

The Evenflo Secure Kid 300 will priced about the same as the Nautilus on sale, but it's at Sears and a few on line stores. It's a really nice seat too.

All of these will last a similar amount of time harnessed--their top slots are 1.5-2 inches taller than the Chase, which will likely keep her harnessed for another 2 yrs or more.

And fwiw, just like w/anything....you should check the fit in your car on your child w/any booster seat. Kids and cars are all different.

hths

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC