Pics: lots of boosters, big 6 year old

Thanks so much for doing and posting this booster comparison! My DD is not that old or big yet but it's so great to see them all side by side with the same kid in them for comparison. Awesome!

ADS

CandCfam

I have a silly question - I'm years and years away from boosters, so I don't know how this works. What happens when she is too tall for the belt guides on a HBB? Do you just use the low back booster at that point until she passes the five-step test to be in a seat belt?

Yes

And wow, the Vivo seat is SUPER short.

Stretchy Glue

My dd turns 6 in 3 weeks, and is about 1 inch shorter than Jenny's. We've had similar sized dd's for as long as I can remember.

Jenny, thanks for posting those. I think dd's torso must be a tad taller because in November she outgrew that stupid Turbo. I think your H has longer legs that my H because mine has less room in the Husky, and her legs are much more comfortable. Here she is in November in the Turbo

100_0513.jpg

Out of curiousity, what are you going to do when she outgrows the hbb? DD has already had to go to backless turbos in the extra cars. It is very nice to have photos of how your dd fits in all these booster for reference.

musicmaj

Wow Jenny, H sure has grown. These pics are very, very helpful to me. M's torso is only a little shorter than H's although she is only about 48 inches tall. She has about 2 inches growth room in an air booster, not installed. I am assuming she would have less room with it installed in a car. She has 2 inches in her evenflo confidence with it installed in our van and great support for her legs. She has about 1 inch in the fpbooster and also great support for her legs. At the next growth spurt she will be done with that seat. I am going to have to get her a parkway to replace it and it makes me nervous since the seat depth is so shallow. I wish the air was taller because I would buy it in an instant.

zactayaus

Does any one have or tried out the Jane Indy booster seat? If so do you know what the seat depth is like on that?

Amaris

Thanks for those pics! Ds1 is about 52 inches with a long torso. He used to be all legs but his last growth spurt was all torso. He is dead even or just above the top slots in the regent, depending on how he sits in it. We bought the airbooster because of the depth of the seat. It was the only one he found comfortable for his legs. I guess we probably have 6 months to a year before he outgrows it unless he has another big growth spurt before then. Hopefully by that time someone around here will have the monarch so I can try it out!

scatterbunny

Does the Monarch seem shorter then the Parkway?

Yes, the Monarch is shorter than the Parkway. :( I wish I would have remembered that dh had a tape measure in his pocket specifically for seat measurement purposes, but I forgot.

It's disappointing that the Monarch is shorter, heightwise, because it's more supportive for longer legs. Bigger kids could fit in it longer than the Parkway if it adjusted taller. And the wings on the Monarch are really fabulous. It wasn't tippy like the Parkway can be, either.

I think dd's torso must be a tad taller because in November she outgrew that stupid Turbo. I think your H has longer legs that my H because mine has less room in the Husky, and her legs are much more comfortable.

I think you're right. My H will be too tall for the Turbo and Air with her next torso growth spurt, I'm sure. It makes me so sad I really wanted an Air for the seat depth...it's 17 inches deep, compared to 13-14 for the others!

Out of curiousity, what are you going to do when she outgrows the hbb? DD has already had to go to backless turbos in the extra cars.

I'll keep buying taller highbacks until she doesn't fit in them anymore. I'm already kicking myself for selling the Parkway, now that I re-examine the comparison pics of the height growing room in each seat. :rolleyes: She can DEAL with uncomfy legs if it means giving her some side impact protection. :p No, really I'd just pile some blankets or something on the floor so she'll have a footrest. Tacky, I'm sure the school pick-up/drop-off attendants will think we're odd, but oh well.

Why don't manufacturers realize that all kids are built differently, and if they're making boosters up to 80 and 100 pounds, they need to design them so they'll actually be comfortable for bigger, older kids.

But after she outgrows seats like the Parkway (or Monterey, if we get one of those; no LATCH so I'm not sure I want it yet) she'll have to go backless. She has used a backless Britax Starriser (same as backless Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster) and loved it, it's really deep and supportive for her legs. I hardly ever let her use it, though, because of the lack of side impact protection. I feel bad enough for moving her out of the Husky into boosters full-time, I can't demote her safety further and put her in a backless just yet! :eek:

I am going to have to get her a parkway to replace it and it makes me nervous since the seat depth is so shallow. I wish the air was taller because I would buy it in an instant.

I feel the same way. We sold our Parkway last summer but I'm now regretting it simply because it's so tall. I want the Air so badly, but I can't justify the cost (more than a Parkway, now) when she'd have so little growing room. Of course it does become a backless, so we'd have that...but I will not be ready to move her to a backless when she's too tall for the Air's highback mode.

Does any one have or tried out the Jane Indy booster seat? If so do you know what the seat depth is like on that?

I haven't found a retailer within 2 hours of me that carries it, or we would have tried it, too.

How does your Recaro Start compare to the Vivo?

You know, I've never actually measured the Start, or taken photos of H in it with it adjusted to the highest setting. I'll have to do that soon! We're leaving in about an hour go see family and do a KDMF install (with Judi!), won't be home until tomorrow evening, won't have internet while I'm gone, so I'll try to take pics of the Start tommorow night or Tuesday and add them to this thread. H has started refusing to ride in the Start, though, because of the shoulderbelt lockoff ( :rolleyes: one of my favorite features of the seat).

scatterbunny

Do you plan on one of these or are/can you wait until the Frontier or Montery come out. But if I had to choose right now I would choose the one my dd is most comfy in. I would ask her which two are comfy then choose the one you think is safer.

The Ride Ryte booster is very short, so we'd probably have to use it backless. It doesn't look terribly deep, does it?

EZOn has approved the 86Y harness to be used with any booster, so I'd go that route if I needed to, but honestly, I'd only do it to deal with lapbelt-only spots. We're considering an 86Y/highback booster set-up for the center of dh's single cab 1993 Ford F150. It's a lapbelt-only, lowback seat (so, glass right behind her head). We haven't gone anywhere as a family in the truck since she outgrew the Fisher Price Futura a few months ago, but especially during winter or camping it would be nice to use the truck as a family. I'm sure a Parkway plus 86Y would work well in that spot.

I have a silly question - I'm years and years away from boosters, so I don't know how this works. What happens when she is too tall for the belt guides on a HBB? Do you just use the low back booster at that point until she passes the five-step test to be in a seat belt?

Yes, after she's too tall for the highback booster belt guides we move to a backless. :( No side impact protection, then. A newer vehicle with side airbags will be a *must* for me when she finally does outgrow the tallest highback booster.

Many of us are convinced on the benefits of using a booster (highback if it fits, otherwise a backless) even if the five step test is passed, because of the risk of submarining. Julie posted some great crash test videos awhile back about this, and we discussed the issue a bit.

ZephyrBlue

or Monterey, if we get one of those; no LATCH so I'm not sure I want it yet

Not sure if this is a mis-print, but Russ confirmed via email w/me that the Monterey will have LATCH :thumbsup:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I think Scattebunny meant her vehicle doesn't have lower LATCH anchors, not that the Monterey won't have LATCH capability. :)

Thanks for the great booster comparison pictures. It's very helpful for booster shoppers. :thumbsup:

scatterbunny

I think Scattebunny meant her vehicle doesn't have lower LATCH anchors, not that the Monterey won't have LATCH capability. :)

Thanks for the great booster comparison pictures. It's very helpful for booster shoppers. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Yes, that's exactly what I meant. :p I missed lower anchors by only a year. :( Dh is getting frusrated that I want a vehicle with full LATCH capabilities now, we've only had my van since April. :whistle:

ajweeks

What is the benefit of a HB booster besides side impact protection for an older child, 6+ and 50+ lbs.? If you have side airbags and an older child, is a HB necessary if they still fit in one?

scatterbunny

What is the benefit of a HB booster besides side impact protection for an older child, 6+ and 50+ lbs.? If you have side airbags and an older child, is a HB necessary if they still fit in one?

Side impact protection and sleep support are the two main issues for me. On road trips dd will still fall asleep in the car and the highback will help keep her in proper position (she's slept on long trips in both the Parkway and Recaro Start and stayed perfectly in position). Our vehicle doesn't have side airbags either, so I want the highback as long as possible.

IF I had a vehicle with side airbags and good crash test scores (because some with SAB don't have good crash scores even with the SAB) and my child did not fall asleep in the car, I'd probably be okay with a backless at this point in time.

amyg530

Jenny, thanks for posting the pictures. which of those 6 would you pick, money being no object? also, have you put H in a MA lately? i'm currious how far over the top slot she is.

ETA: money being no object but its the only seat you can buy

katiesmommy

Yes, the Monarch is shorter than the Parkway. :( I wish I would have remembered that dh had a tape measure in his pocket specifically for seat measurement purposes, but I forgot.

Well crap. I'm trying to help my mom figure out boosters for my siblings. J is almost out of the turbo, and K is in a start but she's almost at the weight limit and is too tall for the turbo. Ugh. Best bet may be to try to find a $25 parkway while waiting for the Monterey.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
All hail the queen of boosters :happy-wavehello:
This was really helpful, Jenny! :2thumbsup:

I also have high hopes for the Monterey, but I wonder if you could tell me how sturdy the Vivo *feels* in comparison to the Compass B510? (you might remember the issue I faced with my housemate: warped Dorel Juvenile seats :eek: >>> Parkway vs. B510 replacement ... B510 *feels* sturdier than the Parkway)

scatterbunny

Jenny, thanks for posting the pictures. which of those 6 would you pick, money being no object?

That's such a tough question. :( I'm not entirely happy with any of the options. They all have pros and cons. If I buy any highback booster she's got to have growing room, so the Vivo and Parkway stand out for that. And I really want something with deep wings, so that knocks out the Turbo (which I wouldn't buy anyway due to shorter seating area) and the Air.

I suppose I'm leaning toward the Vivo because it's very sturdy and solid-feeling, it doesn't tip when she climbs into it, it's got the deep wings and focusing on how the belts sit on her body, I think I like the Vivo best. The only real downfall for us is the very short seat depth, but maybe I can get used to a rolled-up sleeping bag or comforter at her feet for a footrest. :rolleyes:

I sort of just want to go with another Parkway, because it's narrow, pretty easy to buckle, very tall with great wings, BUT I keep remembering H complaining about the seat depth last summer, and how, if she didn't scoot/wedge herself back into the seat she'd sit farther forward than normal (at the hips) and the belt would ride up and she'd have even less leg room. It was tippy climbing in and out. But it really did seem to fit her well. I just like the Vivo better, except for the shorter seat.

also, have you put H in a MA lately? i'm currious how far over the top slot she is.

I was at Target today and sat her in an Evenflo Triumph Advance, but not a Marathon. She was at least an inch over the EFTA's top harness position. She wouldn't let me place the straps over her shoulders, so I just adjusted them as high as they would go, sat her in it and tried to judge how far over her shoulders were. I think she's more like 1.5 inches over the MA's top slots, though. She's been over those since 4 years, 9 months old (so, almost a full two years).

I also have high hopes for the Monterey, but I wonder if you could tell me how sturdy the Vivo *feels* in comparison to the Compass B510?

The Vivo felt very sturdy, at least as sturdy as the B510. The wings were fabulous. I felt like the Vivo positioned the belts the best out of all of the boosters. It didn't tip when she climbed in and out. It wasn't hard for her to buckle at all. It adjusted taller than any other booster, aside from the Parkway (they seem about the same for height to me). It's just so darn short in the seat. :mad: But since it doesn't slope down like the Parkway, it seemed more comfortable. H didn't complain. And a soft, improvised footrest isn't a huge deal. I just wish I could find the perfect booster for us, and it just doesn't exist right now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC