Phil and Teds Double Jogging Stroller Concerns

organic_mama

Thanks for all the advice on my other thread about what is a good all around jogger. I have been looking into the Phil and Teds.
My only concerns now are: 1. The child in back has no sunshade. 2. the weight limit is a lot less than most other side by side joggers and 3. only the front seat fully reclines. See, I have 2 girls. A 3.5 mo and a 2.5yo 32.5 lb daughter. my toddler is basically at the weight limit for the rear so she needs to sit in the front. My baby doesnt sit up fully unassisted now so I dont think she can sit in the rear. Plus whatever child sits in back doesnt have a sunshade or full recline. I guess I would have to wing it and have my toddler sit in the rear at the max weight limit, until baby sits upright unassisted in a couple months hopefully, then switch them. But then in less than 2 yrs my second daughter will weigh too much to sit in the rear. I cannot guarentee my oldest daughter, who in 2 yrs will be 4, will still not want to sit in a jogging stroller on long walks, going to the zoo, mall, amusement parks, etc etc. So this is my dilemma, deciding on if the Phil and teds is right for me, or if I should look into a higher weight limit, dual sunshades, and dual individual reclining seats jogging stroller over this one? What do you guys think? Ideas, advice, recommendations...
Thanks in advance.

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Thanks for all the advice on my other thread about what is a good all around jogger. I have been looking into the Phil and Teds.
My only concerns now are: 1. The child in back has no sunshade. 2. the weight limit is a lot less than most other side by side joggers and 3. only the front seat fully reclines. See, I have 2 girls. A 3.5 mo and a 2.5yo 32.5 lb daughter. my toddler is basically at the weight limit for the rear so she needs to sit in the front. My baby doesnt sit up fully unassisted now so I dont think she can sit in the rear. Plus whatever child sits in back doesnt have a sunshade or full recline. I guess I would have to wing it and have my toddler sit in the rear at the max weight limit, until baby sits upright unassisted in a couple months hopefully, then switch them. But then in less than 2 yrs my second daughter will weigh too much to sit in the rear. I cannot guarentee my oldest daughter, who in 2 yrs will be 4, will still not want to sit in a jogging stroller on long walks, going to the zoo, mall, amusement parks, etc etc. So this is my dilemma, deciding on if the Phil and teds is right for me, or if I should look into a higher weight limit, dual sunshades, and dual individual reclining seats jogging stroller over this one? What do you guys think? Ideas, advice, recommendations...
Thanks in advance.

Mikkel never sat in our E3V2 until he was at least 5 months old. He always laid in the bassinet watching me as we walked everywhere or he was asleep laying down in the bassinet. Aiden sat in the front (in the jump seat, but on the front of the stroller - weighted to 44lbs).

Once Mikkel was 5 months, he occasionally sat in the front jump seat and Aiden would walk when he was sitting up there.

When Mikkel reached ~8 months he would sit in the jump seat down below and Aiden would ride up front in the main seat.

Even at 5 months if Mikkel fell asleep, his head did not slump over when sitting up in the jump seat. In the new models (E3 Sport), the jump seat reclines a little, so I can't see this being an issue at all in the new model.

The E3's seats are already slightly reclined that we don't find it an issue if the kids fall asleep in the stroller.

As for sunshade... I hang a Skiphop diaperbag off my handles and it hangs perfectly just in front of the jump seat and provides perfect shade for whoever is hanging out down below.

Having said all that, my kids are 3 years apart and this is the perfect stroller for that age gap... it also helps that I have skinny kids, Aiden just turned 5 and only weighs 35lbs, so the weight was never an issue for us.

From the concerns you have posted it sounds like you might like a Valco Twin better. It is a SBS with air tires (can lock in position like the E3), has independent sunshades, independent reclines, folds super small (for a double), nice steering, and is narrow enough to manouever through doorways and store aisles. It was a very close runner up to my E3 and if I had twins or children less than two years apart, I would have gone with the Valco.

Hope that helps.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Jen-- you are awesome. I had asked about the E3 a few months ago when I was looking for a stroller for children who will be 32-33 months apart. I am so glad to hear that the E3 worked for you!!! Thanks!!!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Jen-- you are awesome. I had asked about the E3 a few months ago when I was looking for a stroller for children who will be 32-33 months apart. I am so glad to hear that the E3 worked for you!!! Thanks!!!

Your welcome! After 4 years of owning it, it is still my favourite and if I had to pick just one stroller to own, my E3 would be it!

broken4u05

I love mine too. I have the new sport. I used it for my 3 godchildren over the weekend too and it worked great/ I had my 4 year old in the front and at different times my 17 month old and 3 year old in the back and they both loved it. And i had the one not in the stoller on my back. I also put my diaper bag on the side for the sun (whatever side it in on) If it is just above you the other seat covers the child.
And like jen said till your younger one can sit up put the seat all the way down and your older child in the front.

teekadog

I have the older model and my biggest complaint is that the younger child in back suffers the worst head slump when they fall asleep. I mean, dd2 can hardly even take a nap because her head falling all over the place keeps her up! Since I hear the newer model has solved this problem, I think it would be a GREAT double stroller. If I were still living rich I'd buy it.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I have the older model and my biggest complaint is that the younger child in back suffers the worst head slump when they fall asleep. I mean, dd2 can hardly even take a nap because her head falling all over the place keeps her up! Since I hear the newer model has solved this problem, I think it would be a GREAT double stroller. If I were still living rich I'd buy it.

Funny how all kids are different... we have the E3V2 (older model) and Mikkel's head never slumps when he falls asleep in the toddler seat down below. :)

Jumanji

I have e2 for my kids who are 2.5 years apart. We love it. It's been the only stroller we've needed. It's so versatile. Now we're looking for a lightweight stroller to keep in my husbands car though. He has very little trunk space so the e2 won't fit.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I have e2 for my kids who are 2.5 years apart. We love it. It's been the only stroller we've needed. It's so versatile. Now we're looking for a lightweight stroller to keep in my husbands car though. He has very little trunk space so the e2 won't fit.

If you don't need recline, the quizzy zapp is amazing and super small. If you need recline, maybe check out the Valco Buggster... I haven't seen this one IRL but I've heard good things about it.

LEAW

My kids are 25 months apart, and we love the e3. I have long skinny babies, so dd can still ride in the bottom seat, though ds has slept there just fine at 2-3 months old. I did prop his head a bit with a blanket, but at 3m he did fine w/o.

I LOVE it because my long toddler can sleep in there.. not crazy on the infant/toddler on top mode, mostly because my infant isn't one to hang out in strollers and I don't like dragging him out from there.

I got it because I really wanted a GOOD street stroller for our bad city sidewalks that pushed well and rode well and was comfy. I always end up slinging one of my kids anyway, and I often put the 2nd seat on top with the main seat still upright, it looks like a single that is just TALL and I have the spare seat in case I need to push both of them. It also folds up just fine with the 2nd seat on top.

I hated all the pics online, nothiing really showed what I wanted to see, so I did my own... http://gallery.deadfrog.net/e3

Stats on the kids in the pics - dd is 37" and less than 30#, ds is 17# and 25" at 3 months in the pics.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
You can also unsnap the toddler seat from it's frame (at the top on either side of the child's head) and allow the fabric to slide down the frame. I only do this when the toddler seat is on the front of the stroller in infant/toddler mode. It allows the child in the toddler seat to have more head room... works really well with a small infant underneath (probably less than 3 months old).

jn__

My kids are 25 months apart, and we love the e3. I have long skinny babies, so dd can still ride in the bottom seat, though ds has slept there just fine at 2-3 months old. I did prop his head a bit with a blanket, but at 3m he did fine w/o.

I put my son in that version when he was 2 months as well! I thought I was the only lunatic out there. I don't know why, turned out my daughter preferred to sit in the back. But his head never flopped, and I would hold him in with that huge chest harness. I did like him back there because no one saw him and bothered him. He was too nosy to tolerate laying in the infant position :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC