outgrowing the AO

U

Unregistered

I'm not sure what your last question is about they didn't explain the harness issue? The headrest goes up to give taller children head protection when using the seat in booster mode. I agree it is confusing and probably the #1 misuse for the seat. The harness absolutely can not be used if the child's shoulders are above the 2nd from the top slots. The seat has been tested in booster mode, if your sil is over the 2nd from top slots and over 30# I'd be using it w/ a lap shoulder belt even though it's not the preferred way for a child to be restrained it's the only approved way at this point in this seat. The harness needs to be completely removed in booster mode as well.

It should be stamped into the plastic on the back of the seat.

ADS

tjham

papooses said:
That crazy seat requires you use the vehicle seat belt on it just as you would for a booster while kiddo is using the harness in the top slot (so buckle kiddo into harness AND regular seatbelt - carseat is just sitting "loose" on the vehicle underneath) ... doesn't make any sense & I can only imagine how many parents either didn't read this in the manual or totally disregarded it as nonsense since that's what it seems like *UGH*

I just went through my instruction manual for my AO (2-25-2002 date) and it does not say to do this. It says to take the harness straps off to use in booster mode.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Unregistered said:
I'm not sure what your last question is about they didn't explain the harness issue? The headrest goes up to give taller children head protection when using the seat in booster mode. I agree it is confusing and probably the #1 misuse for the seat. The harness absolutely can not be used if the child's shoulders are above the 2nd from the top slots. The seat has been tested in booster mode, if your sil is over the 2nd from top slots and over 30# I'd be using it w/ a lap shoulder belt even though it's not the preferred way for a child to be restrained it's the only approved way at this point in this seat. The harness needs to be completely removed in booster mode as well.

It should be stamped into the plastic on the back of the seat.

Thats just it my SIL's seat is older and has 3 harness slots like most seats NOT the sliding bar. Why would they put a third set of harness slots on the seat if you can use it them? She's only 31 lbs and 35 inches tall and 3 years old, she's no where near ready for a booster (I considered buying her one before the adopt process began b/c her mother didnt use the AO right, but after looking at her weight/height there is NO way.)

This is as bad as the apex65's rules about the headrest. i will never buy another 'safety first' product after going thru all this crap. I think even my nephew's touriva is going to pitched. I cant take the chance i'm missing some weird rule with him and god knows this company trys to find as may confusing loop holes as possible to make parents confused.

U

Unregistered

I apologize, I thought you had the Alpha Omega Elite and I believe that has the bar vs slot. You must have the plain Alpha Omega?

I hope someone can help clear this up or you get ahold of some direction soon.

U

Unregistered

tjham said:
I just went through my instruction manual for my AO (2-25-2002 date) and it does not say to do this. It says to take the harness straps off to use in booster mode.

Right, the harness must come OFF the seat altogether, you never, ever, ever use the harness AND the seat in booster mode (for any seat except some special needs seats).

To sum up: Harness is ok to use in the three bottom "slots" (which you can only see on the back of the seat, the front just has one slot showing and a headrest at any given time), the top 'slot' on the back can only be used for children using the seat in booster mode, with the harness completely removed.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Summit is like this also. The top bar adjustment setting is for booster use only. No sticker was attached. The warning was in raised lettering on the back of the shell and pretty difficult to see unless you are looking for it. I'm pretty sure the standard issue Alpha Omega is the same, but not 100% positive.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
DreamingofSpeed-O.K., your SIL's AO is completely different than any I've seen, assuming it's b/c it's older. I would check to see when the DOM was, but Cosco seats can be used for 7yrs according to the manufacturer. I have no idea about the rules of the seat she's in since it doesn't have the bar, the rules we're discussing specifically apply to the bar. How you described it makes me think your SIL is fine and actually, that long ago, the top slots were generally the ONLY reinforced slots for ffing. It's great that things change, but man can it be confusing!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
thepeach80 said:
DreamingofSpeed-O.K., your SIL's AO is completely different than any I've seen, assuming it's b/c it's older. I would check to see when the DOM was, but Cosco seats can be used for 7yrs according to the manufacturer. I have no idea about the rules of the seat she's in since it doesn't have the bar, the rules we're discussing specifically apply to the bar. How you described it makes me think your SIL is fine and actually, that long ago, the top slots were generally the ONLY reinforced slots for ffing. It's great that things change, but man can it be confusing!

I'm thinking that must be the situation. Unfortunately the stickers have been rubbed/faded and pulled off so i cannot find the DOM or model numbers. (i'm planning on trying to pull of the remaining blank stickers and using a bright light to see if i can find anything.) It's not older than 7 yrs (she's only 4 and i know they bought it when she was turned FF. But that was before she was a year old :rolleyes: ) I've contacted cosco about it but so far they've been little help (i think it would be easier if i had the exact DOM and model # but unfortunately its MIA) I've been sent 2 different sets of instructions (one for the current AO and one for the OHS AO which i dont get why they sent me that one!)

I just hope that nothing happens to her before we get to adopt her and put her in a nice and easy britax. After all this i doubt i EVER buy a cosco product again. I'm thinking that i'm going to give the touriva away and buy a seat made by a better company. I know that seat is fairly easy and has no stupid rules but as i read more and more about their seats i'd rather not risk it.

U

Unregistered

Why not just buy her the Britax now? Why does the adoption have to be finalized first?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Unregistered said:
Why not just buy her the Britax now? Why does the adoption have to be finalized first?

She doesn't live w/ them now, she still lives w/ her mom I bellieve. When the adoption is final, she'll move in w/ them.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Unregistered said:

She live with her mother and my FIL, they see nothing wrong with this seat. In fact she tried to convince me it was the safest seat ever made and how people love it. She sees the the harness being twisted and folded as more of a comfort issue than a safety issue. She has no internet so showing her how many people hate it is impossible and she bought it for a sales person at BRU who said it was the best. (that's the lady that i'm replacing when i can get time. BRU said the job was mine i just need to juggle everything else and start it!)

Also i don't want appear too pushy or try to make her feel like i'm out doing her as a mother before i ever become her mother. She's being removed from her home b/c of false sexual abuse claims made by a an ex-employee that were sort of half true. (The person who called CPS said they included her in sexual activities. They didnt but they co-sleep and have sex with her in the bed. The court decided that was enough for her to need to be moved.) I know she knows what a britax costs and if i show up with one and just give it to her for the next few weeks i know she'll feel like i'm trying to out do her. (Her sister has 2 of them and she talks about them like they wasted money just to be able to say they have them.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC