Opinions on seat for SIL

obnurse19

Okay, I am helping my SIL and brother get new seats for their 8 month old DD. She is about 18lbs and 29+ inches. She is currently in a Snugride, but she is over the height limit listed in the manual, and her head is getting close to the top of the shell (I didn't measure it though).

They need two good seats in each of their cars, as she is in both of their cars equally. MY mom also needs a backup seat as well.

I told her I would love to see her get two Marathon's but she almost fainted dead at the price. The sad part is money really ISN'T an issue, they could afford the seats if they wanted them. I tried to explain many of the Britax features that are worth their weight in gold, but she wasn't hearing any of it.

I told her number 2 pic was the ETA. I did a BIG long winded explanation of harness height, length of time in the seats, EPS foam, rear facing till the seat limits...etc. I also told them it had to be the advance not the trimph. I then told them to get my mom a Cosco Scenera. Money WILL be an object by the time it gets to buying my mom one LOL. An Uptown would be nice, but they aren't going to spend another $100.

She was talking about seeing some 'pretty' covers at BRU, and I told her that the Marathons had great girly covers. They are pretty clueless about seats, but I told her not to really look at anything else there besides these two (or the Boulevard, but they won't go their for sure) They could get sucked into a AOE in a second LOL!

Did I tell her the right things or should something else be on the list?

ADS

firemomof3

A suggestion for your mom is the Scenera ($44 at Walmart) This seat is RF to 35lbs. and FF to 40lbs.
Try REALLY hard to convince your brother to go with the Marathon, it will last them the longest...hands down...period.
If they flat out refuse, slap'em, no just kidding don't do that. Other choices for your brother would be:
The Uptown, which I personally have my 2y/o RF and its a nice seat but its definitely not a Britax but at $99 from Walmart (you have to order it) they could get 2 of them and only spend $200. Here is a picture of my daughter in her Uptown
carseats002.jpg

The EFTA, $130 from Walmart, a lot of mothers love this seat and its RF to 35lbs. and FF to 50lbs. So its another great choice, and BRU carries it so see if they can try it out in their car first.

If they buy an AOE it will not last, the child will outgrow it quickly so they'll end up spending even more money later, vs. they buy a seat now which will last for the next few years.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My personal opinion is that I'd rather see two EFTAs than a Marathon and a Scenera -- and the cost wouldn't be that different.

Many many children will get the same amount of harnessed time in an EFTA as a Marathon.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree, if they're going to balk at the price of two Marathons, whether or not they can afford them, I'd head straight to the EFTA. Then a Scenera in a girly print for Grandma's car.

Lightweight kids will last longer in the EFTA than the Marathon. The harness height is taller. Piper would probably last a year longer in the EFTA than she will in her Wizard.

Wendy

obnurse19

Thanks! You guys are thinking along the same lines I am. They wouldn't do a Scenera in either of their cars. THey sounded like they were interested in getting two EFTA's. I was hoping they would get at least 1 Marathon (just cause I love ours so much). I am sure Grandma is getting a Scenera..it makes sense. The baby will only be in the car maybe once a week at best and for a 10 min ride.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Sounds like a great plan. I will say that I have gone shopping with friends and they always buy on of my top choices, but if I just give them info they end up with crappy seats like the 3-in-1s. Because they don't understand that they will get so much more use out of a seat that goes above 40 pounds.
Stefanie

U

Unregistered

Yeah, can you go shopping with them to show them all the features? There are still good prices for marathons online with no tax and free shipping! What about the FPSVD? It is made by britax and harnessed to 55 pounds. No cute covers though and a DOM of 2007.

Sounds like you are steering them in the right direction.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC