Oobr Update from Vegas

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
OK - the Oobr will be available late January, early February with a price point of $250 ($265 for the Paul Frank patterns). All the fabrics will be available in Canada (the pink is sort of a raspberry). Goes from 40-100 and 57". The expiry is 7 years.

I think that covers it!

ADS

shauburg

OMG - that's expensive! Many people I know think I was crazy for spending $250+ for a seat that does not even convert to a booster (of course it's a Radian, so it will probably last my child longer than their kids are even boostered :rolleyes:). I wonder what they'd think of a booster that cost that much and could not even be used as a harnessed seat first?!? :D

bubbaray

See, this is my problem with the Oobr. So, its around $250Cdn and only has a 7 year expiry. I can get a Frontier, with a NINE year expiry, AND a harness for $270. Why would I buy the Oobr?????

I think Clek is not going to do well against the Frontier or the Nautilus with this pricing. I can't imagine how much their rumoured harnessed seat will cost!

JMHO.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
See, this is my problem with the Oobr. So, its around $250Cdn and only has a 7 year expiry. I can get a Frontier, with a NINE year expiry, AND a harness for $270. Why would I buy the Oobr?????

I think Clek is not going to do well against the Frontier or the Nautilus with this pricing. I can't imagine how much their rumoured harnessed seat will cost!

JMHO.

Neither have rigid LATCH though, or have an adjustment to recline it while installed. Or that nifty frame that is so strong yet lightweight. With the material the frame is made from, it will have superior side impact protection just from the rigid shell standpoint.

I think I'd pay $250 for the Oobr. It's pricey, but really not that expensive when you consider what you're getting. :thumbsup:

QuassEE

If I can spend $1000 on a stroller (uhh..twice, actually) I can't complain about $250 for a carseat. ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
But moreover, the people who buy luxury cars may not think it costs too much, if it doesn't look like some big ugly plasticy polyestery thing in their back seat :cool:

Neatfreak

Hasn't everyone spied a fugly overhead shield seat in the back of sparkly new Hummer or similar? Can't be just me!

Anyway, what I really wanted to know was how on earth do I pronounce Oobr? Like "Oh-bur"?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It's pronounced like the word "uber" as it's intended to be the uber nifty booster. :)

Jacks

Hasn't everyone spied a fugly overhead shield seat in the back of sparkly new Hummer or similar? Can't be just me.

Nope not just you. Saw the oldest ugliest OHS in a brand new BMW in a parking lot. Did a complete double-take.

DS has almost outgrown his SG and DH does not want another Regent (which is what is in my car) for his vehicle because we are constantly moving the SG in and out of vehicles while traveling or riding with friends. I think this will likely be our booster.

Anyone know what material the Jane Indy Plus is made out of??

hipmaman

Despite the prices, these will have some die-hard fan bases. Just like all things, there are different products with different features and associated price points to satisfy many different people/families. Imo, it really is down to what you want or what you can afford. It is not to take anything away from those less expensive seats, as they all do have to pass safety standards.

I am reserving my opinions on all these seats until I can get my hands on them and try them out with my older kids.

Nisha

Ouch! But that monkey print is so darn cute that I just might have to go for it when DD is ready for a booster!!!

bubbaray

I guess I just don't understand the features well enough to see why it would be a huge seller. I mean, I have a Honda, so the rigid LATCH means nothing to me -- Honda has a 40lb limit for LATCH and I can't use a booster legally until 40lbs, so remind me why I'm excited about rigid LATCH on a booster? I definitely would love it for a convertible, but for a booster that I can't use until the weight limit for LATCH is exceeded in my vehicle d/n really rock my world. Having a booster that LATCHes is a convenience feature -- so I don't have to remember to buckle it when not in use -- not a safety feature, so rigid vs flexible LATCH isn't a huge deal.

I don't have plan on having my kids ride in a dedicated booster when a recline is an issue, so the recline isn't a huge sell for me either.

For that price, it would be great if it had a harness and competed with the Frontier and the Nautilus. But, without a harness and convert to booster option, I'm not sure I see the appeal to the average buyer.

Well, other than the cute covers.... LOL.

I am curious, though.

hipmaman

Quick reply...

Latching a booster is different than latching a carseat. The booster still depends on the vehicle seatbelt to be the restrain/safety device, so latching is like to keep it firmly in place and as part of the vehicle seat, so the anchors in this case is not load-bearing and can be used above the 40 lbs (in say, a Honda). While UAS anchors when used for a carseat is load-bearing, therefore must not exceed the 40 lbs.

For me, I haul the boosters from car to car often, so it has to feel solid but light weight is great. I also like the side-impact protection (I do believe the Oobr has it), easy to use seatbelt guide, wide/deep seating area w/o making the whole seat too wide to fit side by side w/ another seat or passenger, etc.

But like I said, not everything will satisfy or meet everyone's need. If the Oobr does not do it for you, then you can save yourself some loonies :lol:

bubbaray

But like I said, not everything will satisfy or meet everyone's need. If the Oobr does not do it for you, then you can save yourself some loonies :lol:

LOL. For strollers -- that I need like a hole in the head....

Yeah, I know the LATCH issue is different with boosters, but I still don't get why rigid LATCH is such a great thing in boosters -- really, its only holding the booster in place, so it shouldn't matter if its rigid or flexible/belt LATCH. Maybe the appeal is that its relatively unique in North America to have a seat with rigid LATCH?

I was also disappointed with the 7 yr expiry, given the 9yr expiry on the Frontier and the "kinda" 9 yr expiry on the Nautilus. It seems that 9 years is the new standard, KWIM?

I also want to confirm that the covers don't have Teflon or similar stain repellant on them....

But, yeah, I'm totally curious....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC