no backless boosters?

hillary116

My friend was going to get a booster for her not quite 3 yo daughter, because she wanted to give her marathon to the little brother now that he is one and can turn around ff. I gavethe family lots of info about keeping her daughter in a 5 pt, and keeping the baby rear facing. She said she wanted to do "what is legal, not what is safer" :shrug-shoulders: but would look into it.

Well it worked- she bought the little girl a Frontier (and is using the harness), and the baby is still rear facing in the Marathon. But she said the people at the baby store told her that backless boosters are being fazed out, and by the time her little girl is ready for backless, they will be illegal. I had not heard that before. They used it as an argument against the Nautilus.

Has anybody heard that before? We live in Maryland.

ADS

mommaon112903

I have not heard of anything like this, and would be surprised if a LBB were "illegal". What are we supposed to do with our children who are too tall for a HBB yet do not pass the 5-step test? LBBs are needed for those children....I would be shocked if any child could go straight out of the HBB into a regular seat belt alone.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Uh, no. Store people will make up some pretty crazy stories, and this is definitely one of them :p

Highbacks are definitely safER (in side impacts) as long as kids fit in them, but backless seats are safe and there's nothing in the works to outlaw them.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
They used it as an argument against the Nautilus
Even if what they are saying is true, it's a VERY poor argument against the Nautilus because the Nautilus can be used as a HIGH back booster. It's not like you go from the harness to a low back in the Nautilus. Low back is just an additional feature that may or may not be needed.

Momof4Girls

Even if what they are saying is true, it's a VERY poor argument against the Nautilus because the Nautilus can be used as a HIGH back booster. It's not like you go from the harness to a low back in the Nautilus. Low back is just an additional feature that may or may not be needed.

Unless you turned around and shared that the Frontier is the highest HBB on the market....

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Unless you turned around and shared that the Frontier is the highest HBB on the market....
I am not talking about whether the Nautilus is the best high back booster out there. I am saying that an argument saying that "it is a bad seat to buy because it converts to a low back and those are going to be illegal eventually" is poor, because it doesn't have to be used only as a low back.

keri1292

I am not talking about whether the Nautilus is the best high back booster out there. I am saying that an argument saying that "it is a bad seat to buy because it converts to a low back and those are going to be illegal eventually" is poor, because it doesn't have to be used only as a low back.

I think she was referring to the $$$ potential, the FN is twice as much as the Nautilus. I think they just want to steer people away from those $30 boosters. :rolleyes: Although, the sad fact is that most of the people buying backless boosters have kids that have no business being in one, so perhaps this is a good sales tactic. :whistle:

Also, perhaps someone got a little confuzzled on shield boosters vs. backless boosters.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I have not heard of anything like this, and would be surprised if a LBB were "illegal". What are we supposed to do with our children who are too tall for a HBB yet do not pass the 5-step test? LBBs are needed for those children....I would be shocked if any child could go straight out of the HBB into a regular seat belt alone.

I think the majority of kids will pass the 5 step test in the majority of vehicles after outgrowing tall HBB. For example, my dd still has a couple inches to grow in her Monterey, but passes the 5 step test in my 3rd row of my van, and almost passes in my H's Mercury Sable (which is similar to many passenger cars). If ALL HBB's were as tall as the Frontier's booster, then I would see very few reasons for backless boosters.

Shaunam

Also, perhaps someone got a little confuzzled on shield boosters vs. backless boosters.

This was my first thought. That or they wanted to sell her the more expensive seat. Nothing wrong with that, but to make stuff up to make a sale? :thumbsdown:

Even if there were no NEED for backless boosters, a lot of people find them quite convenient for carpooling and stuff. And taxis. And for those tiny 12 year olds who are embarrassed to still be in a booster...it's lower profile. I would have a fit if they ever made them illegal. Which thankfully, is likely to never happen.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC