Newest gripper recommendations?

Karen

I've heard shelf liner, no shelf liner, thin towel and no thin towel. What is the newest recommendation?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Gripper melts, not a good idea. Thin towel if a parent insists on one to protect the seat. Not to be used if you can't get a good install without it to make a bad install appear good, of course.

Karen

Is there anything posted/listed with the current info about it? When I told them that I'd heard that gripper wasn't a great idea, they asked for more info about it. I really don't know any more than what I've read here. I told them that it can melt into leather and that it can give a false sense of security, but that I didn't have any actual legitimate sources for my claim. So I'd like to do more than link them to here, IYKWIM. Thanks!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmm, I don't have my hard-copy manual with me, and it's kind of hard to search the one online. I know we discussed it in class, though.

Karen

May of this year...
Well you must understand that you are in CA and I am in KY. And KY is 20 years behind everyone else. I wish I had something I could tell SK. I will study my manual, but I know that it wasn't taught in my class, so I doubt it is there.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmm. When my husband gets home with the car I'll see if I can find where I wrote notes about it and what our instructors referred to. :)

Also, you might ask/check archives on CPSPlist. If you're not a member I'm happy to search the archives for you.

Karen

Hmm. When my husband gets home with the car I'll see if I can find where I wrote notes about it and what our instructors referred to. :)

Also, you might ask/check archives on CPSPlist. If you're not a member I'm happy to search the archives for you.
I'm not. I am a member of the local KY one, but not the national one. I don't in fact know how to get on it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Here's the page. You have to ask to join. I think it was a day or so before I was approved. :)

When you join just search "non-stick liner" for a very interesting discussion. :)

Karen

Understood. I suppose I can just wait to read more in depth, but the SK office is awaiting a message from me RE:eek:fficial recommendations. I guess all I can tell her is that some techs in CA are recommending against it, and that it is taught in the class there but is nowhere in writing.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I believe it is in the Fact or Fiction of the CPS Express Dec 2007 or 2008 if I recall correctly.

It states shelf liner was never intended to be used when installing a carseat to keep it from moving.

ETA: CPS Epress Dec 2007

FACT OR FICTION: Using slip guard with a child safety seat will assist in obtaining a tight installation.

FICTION - Slip guard was discussed in the previous curriculum and is listed on page 426 in the Appendix of the revised curriculum as a tool to have available at a CPS Inspection Station.

The use of slip guard was never intended for use to assist in providing a tight installation. Slip guard only assists with protecting a vehicle seat (leather). If you feel you need an aide to assist in providing a secure installation, there is a problem with the installation.

Using your weight as leverage may provide the force you need to get the tight installation necessary for a child safety seat. Another seating location may also be an option. By informing the parent/caregiver that the slip guard is an aide to assist with tight installation you are giving the parent/caregiver the illusion that their installation is correct when just the opposite is true.

Submitted by Sharon Y. Bilbrey, Arkansas Children's Hospital (Little Rock, AR)

sholoulou

I use a seat protector for my dd carseat (Britax Marathon). It is super tight and will not move. I actually put my knee in the seat to buckle it.

Maedze

I use a seat protector for my dd carseat (Britax Marathon). It is super tight and will not move. I actually put my knee in the seat to buckle it.

Even so, those seat protectors often give the impression of a tight installation when in fact they are very loose.

Try this. Install the seat, and mark on the seatbelt how far you have it tightened. Then remove the car seat pad, and tighten again. You will probably gain 1-3" of slack that you weren't able to tighten before.

There are absolutely no safety reasons in favor of using a pad and there are MANY safety reasons not to use one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC