New seat for almost-5-yr-old

kater-tot82

I am changing jobs in a few weeks and DD (5 in march, 43 in, 14.5in torso, 37ish lbs) is changing schools. Since September I have been taking her to school, my car ist he most reliable, and she has a Regent in there and LOVES IT. With my job change, DH will be taking her to a friend's who lives close to the school, and the friend will be driving DD to school. Currently DD is in an Evenflo Chase in DH's car which she hates, and the harness seems tight...even with just a thin shirt on. She used to only ride with him 1x/week so I had gotten a HB TB for her to use in his car after she turned 5. But now that she'll be riding with him 5x/week, 20 min trips each way, plus with another mom, I was thinking of giving the TB to the other mom and getting a new seat for DH's car...the Regent installs so well in my car with LATCH and I don't want to be moving it back and forth in the winter. So I need a new seat for DH's car. I was thinking about maybe a Nautilus if I could find one...or would you just get another TB for DH's car? I don't know how DD will do in a booster full-time. Also, I guess I should also add, that we probably will have to buy a new seat for DD"s bio mom (I am her stepmom, but DH and I have her all but 4 days a month)...she is in a Cosco high-back harnessed seat there that will be a crappy booster, and her mom won't buy her a new seat. So...here is my main quandry: should I get 2 new boosters, one for DH's car, one for bio mom's, use our TB to carpool, and Regent in my car...or spring for a nautilus for DH, and get a new TB for bio mom's? I'd ideally like what is cost-effective...or if anyone has other suggestions, I am open! Thank you SO MUCH...I am so confused right now.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd probably go for a Nautilus for DH's car. Then a TB for carpool and Bio mom's. If Bio mom has a Cosco high back booster then she's likely outgrown the harness by height as most of them have 14.5" top slots. Cosco is not known for harness longevity. If she hasn't outgrown it she probably will soon. Plus they all have 40 pound harness limits.

Compasses may work as well, B510s. They fold for storage so that way the friend and Bio mom can fold them to put them away, or keep in their truck, that sort of thing.

Wendy

kater-tot82

Thank you for your quick response, Wendy! DD is getting close to outgrowing that cosco seat, plus, her mom has horrible misuse--last weekend I discovered that the straps were so loose, DD could pull her arms out from them!:eek: I feel a booster would be better in that car...and harnesses for her main seats.

niccig

Can you teach her how to use her booster correctly, so she can make sure it's right. I mean like how to seat still, how to buckle it up - some boosters the seatbelt goes under/over armrest etc. I know that a lot of parents here have taught their kids how to buckle in safely. That way, she can either do it herself or tell the carpool mum and her bio mum how to do it. "Nooooo Mum, the seatbelt goes under the arm-rest!"

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Definitely: Teach her how to use the booster correctly. At almost 5 it will only take a couple of times since she isn't trying to buckle in a 3 across situation.

Also: Check to see how the seat belt fits DD in the Chase - I've seen it fit well and not so well w/ different vehicles and different sized kids.
* lap belt low and snug at hips/thighs
* shoulder belt lines up over collarbone w/o using the harness clip
If it is a good fit, then that could be the seat for bio mom or car pool.

TBs are not my favorite booster but they are readily available and reasonably priced. I'd consider Parkway (sale is coming) or Compass after the Nautilus for seat in DH's car.

myliljunebugs

I would think the Parkway would be easier to use correctly for a 5 year old. Especially since it sounds like you would have to rely on her to do her own seat, at least for bio mom's car. I have seen them on clearance pretty cheap, lemme see if I can find a link. This one is the cheapest on albee, but there are other patterns on sale too http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-parkway-booster-car-seat-express.html That isn't much more than a TB with less chance of misuse. For daddy's car definitely the Nautilus IMO

kater-tot82

Thank you all so much for the recommendations! Hmm, I might have to look into a Parkway during the sale...that probably would be better for her bio mom's car...you are all right, DD is pretty much on her own in terms of buckling! I will see if DH will spring for the GN in his car...if not...maybe another Parkway or Compass...hmmm...all good ideas!! Thanks again:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC