New seat for 3.5 year old

ElaynesMom

My dd who is 3 years 5 months is currently rf in a True Fit. she is currently 36" tall and last weighed in at 33 lbs wearing regular clothes (no hats, mitts, footwear). The True Fit is ok, but I don't really love it. When she outgrew the True Fit rf I was planning on getting another seat, so I was hoping to get opinions on which seat to get. The three I am considering are:

Graco Nautilus. I worry about how heavy this seat is because I have to transfer it semi regularily between vehicles (2 or 3 times per month) and I live in apartment building so I sometimes have to carry it up or down 2 flights of stairs (if I get dropped off while my dh is at work I have to bring it up to my apartment, and then back down to his car when he gets home). I'm also not crazy about the idea of her being forward facing yet even though she would be "safe", I really wanted her rearfacing till age 4. I like that she can be in this seat until booster age, and then can likely use it as a booster depending on belt fit.

Britax Frontier XT. I think I like this seat a bit more than the Nautilus, but I'm not sure about it's price tag, even though it's on sale right now. Besides that the only issue I have is, again, she would be forward facing. I like that this will likely be the last seat I need to get (with the exception of maybe a nbb).

Complete Air. I'd like to get this seat to keep my dd rf, but I'm unsure about going over the stated rf height limit as my dd is at the height limit right now. I'm also unsure about it having a 50 lb ff weight limit as I worry my dd could outgrow it before being booster ready and I'd have to buy another harnessed seat.

How do most people feel about using the CA past the stated rf height limit? are people comfortable using it to the US rf height limit? Higher than that? Head even with top of the headrest?

Right now I'm leaning towards the complete air, but wanted to see what other people thought. Money is a factor, but not a huge concern.

Thanks so much for any advice, it's greatly appreciated! :)

-Kassandra

ADS

mommycat

I am undecided on the RF height limit for the CA - I know, not much help. Pros: on sale for $150 at TRU and Walmart, allows you to RF longer (I could be convinced to "push" the height limit a tad to get through the winter); it's much ligther and easier to carry. At 3.5yo and 33lbs, it is so extremely unlikely that she will outgrow a 50-lb limit before she is booster ready or reaches the height limit.

The other two are both good. She is old enough that FF is an acceptable option. They would both last you a long time. I do believe that the Nauti is supposedly on sale for $130 at Walmart? And $179 at TRU? So half the price of the Frontier. Though the Frontier is on sale till the 15th and is also a very very nice seat. Am I helping at all? LOL

I am wondering though, what do you not like about the TF? I wasn't thrilled with my TF for RF but thought it was the cat's meow for FF. Main issue I had with it FF was that the straps felt a bit flimsier than on my other seats. She could fit in it RF for another several months to a year, if she is anything like my crazy-slow gain kids, and it would fit FF for a long time as well.

canadiangie

First you need to decide if she's staying rf or going ff.

But if she goes ff you should give the TF a chance. It's actually a really nice ff'ing seat. Tall top harness position, nice natural recline, 65lb upper limit, it's comfy, you can suddenly access the adjuster strap easily, you already know the seat and are used to installing it, and keeping it costs you nothing.

ElaynesMom

Buying the CA just to get throught the winter isn't really a good option for us financially. What's the sense in purchasing a seat for another 3 months rf only? I know a lot of people in the US forums state they go over the height limit, and to me it makes sense to do so. I mean other Dorel seats have 32" rf height limits in Canada, and people follow the one inch rule all the time (I did with my 3in1). It does worry me that there are quite a few techs who wouldn't go over the stated rf height limit, or who are also unsure about it though. I'd like a radian, but with the harness slippage issues lately, and the fact that I would be transfering between cars makes me shy away from it. She has very little rf growing room in the MR (maybe an inch or an inch and a half?). I wish there was a more definitive answer about this, or that it had a higher height limit like it does in the US.

I'd like to keep her rf rather than forward facing, but I don't want to spend money on a seat that I'll only rf her in for a few months.

As far as not liking the True Fit. Well, I hate the harness. I hate, hate, hate how the buckle tongues are too narrow and the straps fold over all the time. I don't like that the harness can't be removed, so if she ever spills something gross in it or is sick in it it will be terrible to clean (I think about this a lot, I just feel like it's a matter of time, and I'm always nervous about it). The epp foam on one side has started seperating from the plastic shell, which I find annoying. The top harness cut outs in the cover are sewn too narrow so the harness folds and bunches when in the top position (just playing around with it, it hasn't been used ff yet). I don't loathe the seat, but it really isn't love, and turning her ff won't fix what I dislike. In hindsight, I really miss my 3in1 :eek:

mam521

My :twocents:

Agreed - you have to decide if DD is going to be RF or FF'ing.

I have a Nauti and I have a Frontier and a Frontier XT. Both brands are heavier seats, I'd say more comparible in weight to a RNXT and definitely heavy compared to a CA. It kind of sux, but both boosters are kind of a PITA if you have to move them around a lot.

Both have cup holders, Nauti has the little storage compartments in the sides, Nauti converts to the LBB. Maybe not overly appealing but it kind of is for us if we decide to travel and are in a real pinch...we can take the seat apart and use the LBB portion once DD hits the 40lb mark, so its versatile. And, its on sale for a great deal at WalMart right now.

Frontier is a great seat. I love the no rethread harness, I love how easily it installs with LATCH. We'll see how a seatbelt install goes when we have to switch. The headwings are nice and the cup holders are always a kid pleaser.

Ultimately, it comes down to preference...its a tough call! If budget is kind of a deal breaker at this point, Nauti is the best bang for your buck if you can score one for cheap at WalMart.

April

If you do decide to turn her FF, what about an Evenflo Maestro? I realize that right now the GN is on sale for the same price, and is IMO a way nicer seat, but the Maestro is way lighter, has 18 inch top slots, and your DD should have no problem with the 47lb harness limit. Then when you need a booster you could buy a nice dedicated booster that would be even lighter, all for less than an on sale FRXT.

If it were me, I'd probably go Nautilus, but I'm not the one who has to carry it up and down the stairs. I wouldn't personally buy a new convertable to continue RF a 3.5 year old, but if you're willing to do that, more power to you!
Posted via Mobile Device

mommycat

I was just coming back to mention the Maestro for being lighter etc, you beat me to it, April. :)

At 3.5 I probably wouldn't buy the new conertiblke either, but OP, you seemed interested in continuing to RF and I didn't want to diss the idea. I think while carrying the seats around is a pain, it is only a few times a month as you said, so not the end of the world - it's not like you are switching out daily. If you really want a lighter seat then the Maestro might be the thing. If not, the Nauti may be more economical as long as you and your DD like it, and it has no issues installing in your vehicles. What vehicles does it need to go in? Typically not an issue unless it's a truck and the seat overhangs. I also seem to think I heard someone say the Frontier is not as nice a fit for smaller kiddoes? But I might be wrong on that point. I would probably either buy the Nauti at the great price now, or eke out the last bit of life out of the TF in RF mode and then pick up the Maestro when you need it.

Unless you decide you are ok with going to the US limit on the CA and continue to RF. I am honestly not sure why I seem to hesitate with regard to pushing that limit, other than it seems so arbitrary and weird that it makes me wonder if there is some actual reason for it. :shrug:

Have you tried the seats out in person? You may find you love or hate some of them based on a hands-on experience.

ElaynesMom

I haven't seen the Maestro in person, so I'm a bit hesitant to buy it, and we don't have a sears store in town for me to look at it, I'd have to drive about 40 minutes out of town. I'm not really impressed with it for the price, from what I've seen online.

I've tried my dd in both the Nautilus and Frontier when I was at BRU a couple of weeks ago. She obviously has more room in the Frontier, and it seemd like it was a little bigger than she would need. On the other hand, while she had harness height to grow in the Nautilus, it didn't seem like she had much room at all otherwise. It seemed like she just fit perfectly now, and 2 years down the line she might feel a touch more squished than in the Frontier. Her head seemed like it was pushed forward a bit in the Nautilus, but that was just her sitting in it on the floor, not installed in a vehicle. Also, the Walmart where I live doesn't have/is out of the Nautilus, so I'd be ordering from BRU or maybe getting it from CT if I go with the Nautilus, so the price difference isn't as large. I also like that you can get the SG clip for the frontier, though if I didn't like the booster mode for the Nautilus down the line, it is less expensive, so I could buy a seperate booster I like better.

I'm sorry if I seem so picky and indecisive. I know it makes more sense to buy a ff only seat at this point, but I just feel like she's still so little. I do appreciate the advice :)

Edited: Just wanted to add that the seats will mostly be going in a 2005 Ford Five Hundred (my dh's vehicle) and a 2003 or 2004 Ford Escape. I also sometimes go in my friends vehicle which I think is a 2005 Chevy Blazer.

mam521

I don't think you're picky or indecisive...you're being an educated parent who wants the best for an irreplacable asset...one that you love and cherish and who deserves the best mom can offer! :thumbsup:

Truthfully, we don't have a ton of variety in Canada for harnessed boosters, so it makes it that much harder I think.

ElaynesMom

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After going back and forth for so long I've decided not to purchase another seat right now after all. I know it makes the most sense for her to go ff when she outgrows the TF instead of getting another seat to rf in, especially since I'm not completely confident in going over the CA height limit. I wasn't able to decide between the Nautilus or Frontier, so when she needs to ff I've decided I will give the TF a try ff, and I'm sure there will be sales later in the year if I decide to get a Nautilus or Frontier in the future.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC