New RideSafer Vest

tl01

I've never really considered one of these as an option but am thinking it might be an interesting choice as a back up for when we have to go in other people's cars. DS is almost 4 years old and is 40 lbs. Can one use it with a booster? How would your rate is safety-wise compared to a traditional 5 pt harness?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, it's a standalone restraint.

They release their crash test results and the numbers are very good. We can't compare it to anything besides a Radian, since SK releases their data and no one else. The numbers are very good, and you can say with confidence that it's a wearable five point harness.

Wendy

tl01

Hmm... bummer. I would have liked a booster so it could provide more side impact protection. Would it be appropriate for a 4 year old if in the center seat with a lap shoulder belt.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sure. Kids are pretty locked into this, so it's got more SIP, I believe, than a booster. But there is no shell. So it'd be like an EZ-On harness or Safeguard Go. All harness, no shell.

Piper just rode in hers for a week while we were in NY. With the exception of about 40 minutes when I had to sit between her and Laine she sat in the middle of the rental car with a lap and shoulder belt, tethered, and she couldn't move anywhere.

22372_1291223995263_1070139791_910113_3087666_n.jpg

She fell asleep and that's as far as she could slump. She wasn't going anywhere.

Wendy

munchkin

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does the slope of the vehicle seat affect the belt positioning or safety of the vest?

I am considering one for my sister's Mustang, but the vehicle seats slope so much that I am afraid that the vest/seat slope combination wouldn't position the belt correctly.

Also I tried searching, but what are the differences in the new and old?

Evolily

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does the slope of the vehicle seat affect the belt positioning or safety of the vest?

Do you mean the sort of slope that allows you to install the radian at greater than a 45 degree angle? Where it puts your knees up higher than your butt? That slope is designed to help prevent people from submarining under the seat belt, so it shouldn't make it less safe :thumbsup: . If anything, I'd think it would make it more safe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC