New Health Canada guidelines for carseat usage

ADS

mommycat

Wow, I *really* like that chart! Not only does it say it is safest to stay in each stage as long as possible, it plots out the stages well:
Rearfacing: birth to 20kg (44lbs)
FF harness: 10kg-30kg (22lbs-65lbs)
Booster: 20kg-36kg (45lbs-80lbs) and the bar also continues into the "above 80lbs" range
Seatbelt: >36kg (>80lbs)

mommycat

It does appear that they would like kids to be solidly over 40lbs before switching to a booster, which I do usually recommend when advising parents.

Of course by that chart, DS1 would still have to be harnessed at 6yo and 42lbs - and he isn't even at the bottom of the percentiles, so a lot of kids would have to wait even longer.

mam521

This may have come at a perfect time - we have friends with a little guy the same age as my son who's about to outgrow his infant seat. I don't think Mom and Dad have a clue about proper carseat use...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
HC would like to see children in a 5 point harness to 45lbs if possible?

I'm betting that it was a weight conversion thing. But it is important that kids are staying over 40lbs before moving to a booster. The kid who waffles between 39 and 41 lbs depending on the day should ideally still be in a harness until their light day is 40lbs. Of course for parents who have a seat with a 40lb limit that kind of makes things hard, but thankfully more and more seats have higher weight limits than that and most parents won't face that decision.

canadiangie

I'm betting that it was a weight conversion thing. But it is important that kids are staying over 40lbs before moving to a booster. The kid who waffles between 39 and 41 lbs depending on the day should ideally still be in a harness until their light day is 40lbs. Of course for parents who have a seat with a 40lb limit that kind of makes things hard, but thankfully more and more seats have higher weight limits than that and most parents won't face that decision.

You think that when they converted kgs to lbs something got mixed up?

45lbs is a huge jump.. like that could be 2-3 more years in a harness for some kids.

hmmmm.

snowbird25ca

You think that when they converted kgs to lbs something got mixed up?

45lbs is a huge jump.. like that could be 2-3 more years in a harness for some kids.

hmmmm.

Yes, I think they just messed something up. There's technically 2.2lbs in a kilo - but it's easy to just do the math as 2lbs... then if you're sticking the kg in to a kg to lb conversion to get a precise #, you end up with 45lbs. Though who really knows...

I do know that all booster seats still have a 40lb minimum, and while it may be prudent to encourage 45lbs for the younger kids, I wouldn't encourage 45lbs with a 6yr old - as far as I'm concerned when those 6yr old kids hit 40lbs they're fine in a booster provided there's no special circumstances involved. And given the regular communication I have with TC, I'm sure I'd have been told if there was a change in recommendations on that point.

I'll send an email off and ask about it though. I'm always willing to entertain the possibility of change - but I know this isn't related to the changes in standards at any rate.

tam_shops

Is this the new HC recommendation or law?

It's the first print info I've seen w/ the 22#FF information on it.

Only math slight I see is that 20kg is 44.1#, right? Or did I miss more?

tam

snowbird25ca

Is this the new HC recommendation or law?

It's the first print info I've seen w/ the 22#FF information on it.

Only math slight I see is that 20kg is 44.1#, right? Or did I miss more?

tam

HC is trying to break down the different stages to make it easier for people to reference what type of seat they should be selecting for their child..

There is an error with the ff'ing to booster line. I've emailed somebody about it so just a matter of waiting to see what I hear back about it.

The 22# ff'ing reflects the new CMVSS 213 standards. :)

tam_shops

Thanks Trudy, I like 45# for booster use, what a great idea, lets hope it's not an error! OR is the point that some long torso skinny kids, will outgrow even a Frontier before 45#? Though, I guess, even that would only be a problem if it were a law vs suggested best practice...

tam

snowbird25ca

I don't know how long it will take but it's going through the "channels" - I've heard back and the chart is an error and should read 18kg/40lbs.

40lbs is an appropriate weight to have in my opinion - I know my dd didn't hit 40 lbs until around her 5th birthday and my ds will be the same way. To be honest, I wouldn't raise the recommendation to 45lbs across the board even if I could - for the parents with heavier kids, that 5lbs isn't much difference, and for the parents with light or average kids, it could be another year or even 2 harnessed where they don't need to be harnessed... Just my honest 2 cents.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC