Question New Convertible for Baby or Combination for Pre-schooler?

E-bex

Morning!
It is almost time for my giant 7 month old to move to a RF convertible seat - he's currently in a Peg Perego SIP 30/30, and between his 22lbs and the car seat he's getting hard to carry.
That being said, we have a Britax Advocate CS in one car and a Britax Boulevard 65 CS in the other for my 3 year old. She is about 40" tall and just over 35 lbs. I'm trying to decide if I should move the baby into her seats, and move her into a combination harness booster seat (looking at the Britax Frontier CT). The other option I'm considering is leaving her as is, and looking into a Diono Radian for baby, but I hVent heard great things about the Radian straps...
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ADS

featherhead

I would probably go for a combination seat for your 3 year old. It would make the most sense in the long run. What had you heard about the Radian straps? I have owned three Sunshine Kids Radians, and they have all been great.

Alison's Mom

Hi there, and welcome.

One thing I thought I'd mention, which may or may not be applicable here, is that if your 7 month old hasn't actually outgrown the Peg 30/30, and the issue is that the seat with him in it is too heavy to carry, you could just leave it in the car, and treat it like it's a RFing convertible. Just load and unload him at the car.

Chila88

Hi!

I Would probably go the combination seat route also. It usually makes the most economical sense!

I bought my DD a Frontier almost 5 years ago when I passed down her convertible to her sister and she still rides harnessed in it today. ( I will likely convert it to a booster this spring because in grade 2 she's definitely aware she is in the minority by riding harnessed) but my point is we have gotten tons of use out of that seat and still will for several more years!

Plus your DD will probably love the 'big kid' vibe combination seats give off being much more low profile, easier to get in and out of, not to mention the cup holders :)

E-bex

Thanks - I think we'll go with the frontier :)
Especially since I found last year's model on sale at BRU for $100 off!

E-bex

Hi there, and welcome.

One thing I thought I'd mention, which may or may not be applicable here, is that if your 7 month old hasn't actually outgrown the Peg 30/30, and the issue is that the seat with him in it is too heavy to carry, you could just leave it in the car, and treat it like it's a RFing convertible. Just load and unload him at the car.

He's a big guy in length as well, and is fast approaching the 30" mark. We call him the jumbotron ;)

E-bex

I would probably go for a combination seat for your 3 year old. It would make the most sense in the long run. What had you heard about the Radian straps? I have owned three Sunshine Kids Radians, and they have all been great.

I have heard from a few other moms I know that they have a tough time getting the straps tightened when it is used FF....

featherhead

I have heard from a few other moms I know that they have a tough time getting the straps tightened when it is used FF....

It can be a little difficult to tighten the straps, but there are often tricks to help. For me, I very rarely loosen and tighten the straps. I set them once, and only let them out as my kids grow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC