New Britax seats for Canada

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I wonder if they'll make the Britax pre-order mistake again? The stores here in Vancouver had pre-orders on the Marathon, and then there were 6-9m of delays and utter anticipation before it arrived. I think a lot of people were really irritated with the stores.

-Nicole.

ADS

nurse4kidsrjn

This is exciting....
My son is almost 11 mos and still small for the MA (even on the lowest height setting) as he was premature. We were going to buy him a new carseat for his 1st Birthday in May ... A Big Boy Seat... (Plus mommy will be returning to work and we'll have a little extra income)But right now he'd fit better into a RA. I think I might wait to check out the newest seats unless he outgrows (height-wise) his bucket seat before they arrive in Canada. I'm looking for a gently used Britax seat, but they are almost impossible to find. (Just until we can afford a brand new one.)

Last edited by a moderator:

snowbird25ca

This is exciting....
My son is almost 11 mos and still small for the MA (even on the lowest height setting) as he was premature. We were going to buy him a new carseat for his 1st Birthday in May ... A Big Boy Seat... (Plus mommy will be returning to work and we'll have a little extra income)But right now he'd fit better into a RA. I think I might wait to check out the newest seats unless he outgrows (height-wise) his bucket seat before they arrive in Canada. I'm looking for a gently used Britax seat, but they are almost impossible to find. (Just until we can afford a brand new one.)

How much does your ds weigh right now? The bottom slots on the MA are the same as the RA, so there isn't likely to be any difference in how he fits. There's such a small difference in price, that I'd recommend going with the MA even though your ds is small, just because you'll be able to get much more use out of it height wise even if you don't need the extra weight.

I'm not sure from your post if by big boy seat you just mean a convertible seat that you can use rf'ing , or if you're referring to the Frontier, so I just wanted to give you some info that you may not have come across before...

1yr AND 20lbs is the minimum for turning a child ff'ing. It is however, not what is safeST, and not what is recommended even by Transport Canada. Transport Canada says this in their 1-2-3-4 Car Time brochure:

Don’t be in a hurry to start using a forward-facing child seat. The longer you use a rear-facing infant-only seat, infant /child seat, or infant/child/booster seat that fits correctly, even past your baby’s first birthday, the safer your baby will be in a crash. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use and check the label for the weight and height that are allowed.

Here's a link to a youtube video that talks about the importance of rf'ing and why it's safer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8

For a rear facing seat the straps need to be at or below his shoulders, if he's still tiny enough that the lowest slots on the MA are above his shoulders, then he's definitely too small to be ff'ing any time soon. ;)

Please feel free to start a new thread asking any questions you may have and we'll be happy to answer them. There's a tech on this board who is from the Calgary area and may be able to help you if you need assistance. Her user name is Aidensmom02 if you'd like to PM her. :thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

Last update in this thread was from March 22 and at that time it looked like all 3 seats (BLVD, diplomat, and frontier,) were on track to start shipping in June. I haven't seen any updates since then, but it's only been a couple weeks. :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

I pre-ordered a frontier and boulveard from Safety Superstore in Mississauga and they are in today. Tomorrow we are off to pick them up.

U

Unregistered

Where can i purchase a britax boulevard car seat. I need one immediately for my 7 month old daughter.

QuassEE

Most retailers should have them now, so the britaxusa.com website list of retailers would also be a good resource.

-Nicole.

snowbird25ca

Most retailers should have them now, so the britaxusa.com website list of retailers would also be a good resource.

-Nicole.

Yep, although if you're planning to go to a brick & mortar store, it's a good idea to call ahead of time - our blvd's were basically sold before the stock came in because people had been put on a hold list. We've had only the display model left since they arrived as the others were put on hold and bought the next day.

jacks1

anyone one know if we will be getting the companion anytime soon? I saw one in Target this weekend and they look like they are another good option for an infant seat.

hipmaman

No, they haven't passed CMVSS.

I was told that it passed CMVSS. The angle of rotation was w/in the acceptable range, but it was more reclined than Britax liked so they decided not to redesign/modify the seat to sell in Canada :(

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

So do you think it will ever be available then? I hope so :)

I doubt it. Without a redesign it's not going to change how it fares in testing. I'd also heard that it barely met CMVSS standards and that Britax wasn't happy enough with that to sell it in Canada.

What puzzles me, is that it's good enough for the US, but barely passes CMVSS standards. Just the difference in the crash test bench assembly or something else? I'm rather curious... and I will say it gives me 2 mindsets - one of a bit more confidence that they're not comfortable with barely meeting standards, but one of a bit less confidence that they're selling it in the US when they don't feel it's good enough to sell in Canada...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC