Need suggestions for grandparent's car

nhlbluesgirl

I'm looking to get seats for my 2 girls for my FIL's car. He has a 2005 Altima. My girls are 2yr and 5yr. The 2yr old is currently RF in her Marathon in my car. She is about 29 pounds and about 50% for height. The 5yr old is in a Regent in my car. She is about 45 pounds and is about 90% for height, but she is mostly legs. My FIL is not used to car seats at all. The last time he's used them is when DH (now 38yr) was young. So, they need to be as user friendly and as easy to install as possible. They won't be a permanent fixture in the car, and will only be installed when needed.

I was wondering if it would be easiest to use a hb booster for the 5yr old, since it's easier to not have to mess with a harness and makes sure it's tight enough, etc? For DD2, I was thinking a Triumph, since that harness seems easier to adjust (imo). Thoughts?

It's been quite a while since I've been on here. I know things change all the time, so I thought I'd post. Thanks! :)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A booster might be easier for the 5 year old, and at her age and weight is safe if she can sit properly in it. You should teach your daughter how the belt goes to make sure it will be done right, and make sure she sits properly in it (train her at home first before she rides with someone else.)

As for the 2 year old, how about an Evenflo Triumph Advance? His car is new enough to have LATCH and you should be able to show him how to install it tightly relatively easily if he doesn't have to worry about locking belts, etc, just connecting it and pulling it tight (have the straps threaded through already, show him where the anchors are and how they are marked, and how to get the strap tight. Make him show you that he can do it a few times.) I suggest the Triumph Advance (not Triumph-- different seat) because of the harness adjustment system-- you can just instruct him to always make sure the tabs are AT her shoulders, and the knobs are often easier for grandparents and inexperienced users to properly tighten with. I think it would be very easy for him to learn to use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC