Need opinions on best seat for 4 year old...

ZacsMom

Our son is 42 lbs. and we have a britax regent in our vehicle for him which we love.
However, he needs a new car seat for grandma's car. He is currently in the graco safeseat step 2 which only holds up to 40lbs. We are looking around for another car seat for him to have in grandma's car that can keep him in the 5 pt. harness. I REALLY do not want to go booster seat, they seem so flimsy. I see a lot of seats out there that go up to some 100lbs but they have to be used with the seat belt, not harness.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. We cannot spend another $250 +++ for a spare car seat.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Nautilus would be great. And I'm sure you know this, but he cannot ride in the SafeSeat2 any more, not even once, not even for a mile.

ZacsMom

Thanks for the suggestions. No, I k now he cannot ride in the safeseat any longer even if he's a couple pounds over which is why i'm trying to find another option. Problem is my parents are going to buy whatever it is he needs and are looking more towards the $60 range. Maybe i can talk my husband into forking out the difference. Thing is he already comments about how much we spent ont he regent for our car. :cool:

BW1426

You could look at the Safety First Apex, but you must have head rests or seat support up to the top of his ears. Once there isn't support, the seat cannot be used anymore. The Nautilus doesn't have that restriction. The Apex is also really wide.

There aren't any harnessed options cheaper than the safety 1st Apex which is about $100.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Unfortunately there are no seats that harness past 40 pounds and would still fit your child in the $60 range. You can find the Apex 65 cheap on Albeebaby but it's still around $100. The next cheapest would be the Nautilus.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Check your Big Lots for the Apex (marketed as the Alpha Elite Apex 65.) If they have it it is only $85 there (and no shipping.)

For occasional use in Grandma's car, you can also use a Ride Safer Travel Vest. It too requires vehicle support behind the head, however it will last somewhat longer than the Apex since the child sits directly on the seat in it. It will run about $100. It can be used with a lap/shoulder belt or with a lap belt and tether.

If she does NOT have headrests or very tall seatbacks, you're looking at a high backed booster in that price range. If she has a lap-only belt in the center (or in all 3 positions-- you don't say what kind or year of car she has) you can get an E-Z-ON 86Y harness, which can be used if there is a top tether (one is included if she doesn't have them) and can be used with a high-backed booster for head support. (The booster is actually required for smaller children your son's size to improve lap belt fit as well.) That will run you around $70, plus the cost of the booster.

The good news is, high backed boosters are mostly not that flimsy. :) There are some very good ones on the market. If you go that route, there are some good deals on the Recaro Vivo right now, which from what I hear is quite sturdy.

It is definitely safer to have him harnessed at his age and weight; however if the Apex won't work and you aren't able to afford the Nautilus, the only options left are really a vest or a booster. (The vests actually test like a harness, so they contain a child much better than a booster.)

My suggestion is to see what YOU can afford to chip in ($40? $70?) and pool your money with them to buy either a Ride Safer Travel Vest (assuming they have lap/shoulder belts), Apex (assuming vehicle head support), or Nautilus (probably most long-lasting option.) That way you can be sure he will be safe in their car. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC