Need new seat recommendation.

Kellz625

Seat recommendations? Just bought a 2004 Honda Odyssey and need a new seat for my 14 month old. He weighs about 23 lbs and is RF. He was in a Scenera Next, but that seat will be staying in my husband's car. Not looking to spend more that $130-$140 if possible. I'm looking at the Graco My Ride 65, Graco Contender or the Evenflo ProComfort LX. And am open to other suggestions.

I should also add, I don't want a seat that is super high off of the car seat or one that has super high sides, I'm only 5'4" and don't want it to be hard to put him into the seat.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Contender is the longest lasting rear- and forward- facing of those seats. It is also lower profile than the other 2.

However if you want truly low profile you might look at the Safety 1st Guide 65 instead.

(At 14 months my kids were usually about ready to start climbing in when set near the seat. Any chance of that?)

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If you can find it on sale or stretch the budget, some versions of the Fit4Me have "Fuss Free" harness buckle pockets. It is basically the more full-featured version of the Contender.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Fit4Me-Convertible-Car-Seat-Drexel/44812802

ETA: Another one to check out might be the Grow and Go. It has harness storage clips and it also seems lower profile than some of the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rin2809

I own or have owned 2 of the 3, and honestly think any of the 3 would be a good choice. Which seat would be best for you depends mostly on your RF goals, but I am thinking the Contender may be the best fit. But here would be my pros and cons as I see them on the seats:

ProComfort (I am assuming Evenflo Triumph because it fits the budget and Symphony doesn't)
Pros:
-Extremely comfortable seat for long trips
-Harness is always at the right hight
-Adjuster mechanism
-Easily my son's favorite seat for comfort and DH's favorite seat for ease of use
-FF Recline helps with head slump

Cons:
-One level line, so for really angled seats you may need a towel/noodle
-Bungee cup holders don't hold sippy cups well (minor complaint)
-RF height and weight not as high as some other seats
-In some cars, RF install can push the adjuster knob into the seats so it is hard to turn (I never encountered this issue in our Windstar)

Overall:
This is by far my favorite convertible seat that we have owned. If it fits into my Kia, we may be purchasing another once our youngest outgrows his infant seat. That being said, I am not a strict follower of the Extended RF rules. For our family, turning our kiddo forward earlier was a better fit, so the lower RF numbers aren't an issue.

MyRide65:
Pros:
-Great recline for both FF and RF (Kiddo was super comfy when sleeping on long drives when he was younger)
-Awesome cupholders (again a minor thing)
-Easy to use harness/buckle
-Very inexpensive right now (Have seen it for as low as $80)

Cons:
-HUGE! No kidding, this seat is really large and there isn't a way to adjust how much front to back space it takes up
-Very high up (I list as a con cause it was on your list, could be a pro for kiddo to see out the window and puzzling with other seats)
-Re-Thread harness
-No real upright angle (when kiddo is older and wants to be more upright there isn't an option for that
-Outgrown FF earlier than some seats

Overall:
This was a fantastic seat for when we had it (3 years ago) as our son grew out of his infant seat to sleeping toddler stage. I only recommend the other seats over this one because there are newer features.

Contender: (Have to preface this with the fact that this is the one I don't own. This is just from reading features and hearing others experience)
Pros:
-No re-thread harness (move the headrest and the harness moves to the right height)
-Adjustable headrest can be shorter when RF a little one to give you more space
-Higher weight and height regulations for extended RF
-Will likely get your kiddo to Booster stage

Cons:
-Adjuster foot only gives you one recline position both FF and RF

Overall:
A lot of people recommend these seats, and with the added features over the MyRide, I think this is a better fit if you are looking for extended RF over the Triumph ProComfort. If you keep an eye out for sales, you may even be able to do the Graco Size4Me, which is basically the Contender with multiple recline adjustments for a little added comfort and ease of install (Normally about $150ish)

That was a lot of info, but hopefully it's a little helpful for you! As with any seat, I would recommend going somewhere like Babies R Us to check the fit of the seat in the vehicle before purchasing. Or test it out before removing the tags, etc. so you can return it.

Kellz625

Thanks! I do really like the knobs on the evenflo, we had one for my oldest when he was a baby, so I'm going to see how they compare price wise.

1mommy

Oh also, there is an aftermarket device called lulu clips that act as magnetic buckle holders. Aftermarket car seat devices are generally frowned upon, but because this does not go in between the child and harness or seat and car it is ok. But with these clips you can turn any seat into one with buckle holders.

BTW Nedra, you're awesome for listing that more seats has buckle pockets, I had no idea some Graco's had them!

rin2809

The evenflo Triumph procomfort has buckle storage. Its not velcro, its more like a pocket they feed into. Honestly i have never taken the time to figure out how they work since i have never had a seat with holders before, so i am used to just pulling the straps from under them.

But the holer is there.

Kellz625

I went with the evenflo, but I have to try it in my van tomorrow, it was pouring tonight. If the knobs don't work right, I'll return it. Thank you for the suggestions everyone! :jive:

rin2809

Thanks! I do really like the knobs on the evenflo, we had one for my oldest when he was a baby, so I'm going to see how they compare price wise.

Was going to also mention: my sister has the knobs with my niece 7 years ago, and the knobs are the same, but to loosen the harnes there is a button in the center like most seats instead of the weird tab on the knob like the old ones. Hopefully that makes sense.

Kellz625

Oh good to know, yeah there used to be a lever type thing.

Do you all think this seat would get him to at least 2YO or 3YO rear facing?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Unless he's unusually tall or long torsoed he'll likely get to 3.

My personal goal is 4 but if yours isn't that long you may not mind that as much.

Try before you buy. You may find it is too tall for your liking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC