Need input on Portable DVD Players for vehicle!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My cousin had one like that....

I'm just not a fan of the DVD in the car -- even though I have it (built in) & it has been useful during long trips, I just don't like it :eek:

ADS

skaterbabs

I KWYM! Thus far we've done without, but it would certainly help us to reduce the number of unrestrained projectiles on a long trip. As it is, we have to have books, toys, crayons, ect available. a half-dozen DVDs would certainly take up less space, and be easier to secure!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, that was my main "pro" on the list -- I have 8 movies in a binder sized sheet holder for CDs that I took out of the case from the house.... Fits perfect in the front seatback pocket :)

skaterbabs

Yep, and our Suburban has TONS of space in the center console for storage. The glove box isn't tiny either.

lovinwaves

Ok maybe this is a silly question, but in the photos on the walmart site it doesn't show any wires? Does the wire between the two unit just go across the seats? Also if I had these strapped onto the second row headrests facing towards the front of the vehicle where could I plug in the adaptor? ('05 Odyssey EX-L)

Thanks Darren for that link to Woot. Also could you please answer my above question. TIA!

southpawboston

Good question. I've used it that way, but I do have a tethered RF seat. There's a greater risk of it breaking off in a frontal crash, though his monitor is just a screen since the player is in the other unit. So, it's pretty light. I doubt there would be enough force to break both straps, but it's possible.

is there data on projectiles in frontal collisions and how they travel??? the reason i ask is because i happened to be a passenger during a frontal collision, way back in 1990. back then, it was common to have removable stereos that slid out of a frame (this was before removeable faceplate units appeared in the mid 90's). anyway, after the crash, we found it on the back seat. that was a 2 lb metal brick that had travelled from the dashboard back into the back seat, during a straight frontal crash. we never understood how it got there!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have never looked for such data. I've seen a number of case studies at conferences. One of the most horrifying was a heavy tool box that punched through from the trunk to the rear seat and struck a child who was restrained in a child seat. Unfortunately, the child seat was not installed and had been placed on the floor of the rear seat:-(

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
We use portable DVDs on long trips ( more than 3 hours or so). One is a battery powered off brand unit that came with headrest attachment straps for about $100 or so. The other is a 2-screen Car DC powered unit that came with headrest attachment straps and a game unit ( http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4100513 ). They all have inputs and outputs so you can share programs or plug in a game unit.

Unlike the 9" and bigger built-in screens that drop from the roof, these don't obstruct the driver's visibility at all since they are on the back of a head rest. They also aren't visible much, if at all, to other drivers. Since they are mounted behind headrests, it's hard to see how they would pose a significant risk in a frontal crash. I suppose the attachment straps could break in a severe side or rear crash. It's also something a child's head could hit if they are thrown that far forward. I don't consider those to be anything but very unlikely risks, but others might be concerned.

I see off-brand models with 7" and smaller screens for $50 sometimes. The more reputable brands like Sony and Toshiba usually cost a little more. Not all of them come with straps to mount them in a vehicle, though. Granted, they're so small, they can be used hand held. Probably no more dangerous on a child's lap than a large book or a Gameboy.

Darren, my dh "surprised" us all with this exact same one as a gift from "Santa" this past Christmas. He was a bit less than thrilled that my first comment was...how does this attach to the car? He was expecting a bit more excitement about the actual gift itself!

It sounds like you like this make/model? I've been tossing around the idea of returning it since it says it doesn't come w/ a battery (although we haven't flown recently, our 5.5yo has been on 6 round trips already). Dh said that the sketchy directions reference a battery but no info about ordering any... do you have one?

Wineaux

I'm much less worried about a lightweight LCD screen strapped tightly to a headrest than I am the CD's that so many people stick above their sun visors that will turn into so many Ninja throwing stars in the event of a collision.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Since we only use ours on long trips and have a separate battery powered one for our oldest, it works very well for us. I could see where the lack of a battery would be a problem for others, though. I can't really comment much otherwise, it's only been installed maybe a half-dozen times for trips, but we haven't had any problems so far.

southpawboston

I'm much less worried about a lightweight LCD screen strapped tightly to a headrest than I am the CD's that so many people stick above their sun visors that will turn into so many Ninja throwing stars in the event of a collision.

agreed! that's why i have my ipod integrated with the stereo, and secured inside the glovebox. before that i used to keep CDs in a soft organizer, but the collection grew too big to keep in the glovebox!

Wineaux

agreed! that's why i have my ipod integrated with the stereo, and secured inside the glovebox. before that i used to keep CDs in a soft organizer, but the collection grew too big to keep in the glovebox!

I don't listen to many CD's in the car since I got XM. Satellite radio is da' bomb!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Same setup I have with the iPod, works very nicely. I'm more concerned about the junk that collects daily in the car before I get a chance to clean it than with our strapped DVD monitors that are only rarely in the car when we take long road trips.

Of course, there are those who think you shouldn't use a child restraint at all, but instead use the money to buy a DVD player to keep your child from squirming out of their seatbelt, i.e. Freakonomics....

skaterbabs

Cam has this neat dohickey that he attaches to his MP3 player called a FM modulator. Basically it braodcasts whatever is playing on your MP3 directly to your FM radio on one of a couple of different frequencies without wires. So you can put your MP3 pplayer in the glove box and have it play through your speakers without needing to physically hook anything up. It's really cool, I've been playing with it lately. LOL

southpawboston

the problem with RF transmitters is that there can be a lot of station interference, depending on where you live. plus the sound quality of the music is no better than FM. as an audiophile (and former car audio installer) i had to have a dedicated aux-input for my ipod. but for people whose cars don't have the option for aux input, RF transmitters are the only way to go, and it's a lot less expensive than having ipod integration installed.

skaterbabs

DH used to do audio but moved into home years ago. I like the FM modulator because I can switch from car to car, and honestly with the kids in the car it's not about quality of sound :rolleyes: it's about not having to listen to local radio. LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC