Need help with special needs 3 year old

U

Unregistered

My son is 3 and has a chromosomal defect which causes behavioral problems/speech delay/mentally a 18month old.We have been battling for 6 months now him unbuckling himself from his carseat while im driving.I've explained to him how unsafe it is and so has a few police officers.I've tried time out/spanking/yelling/velco on the chest clip nothing has worked.Its scarey going 75 on the interstate with a lot of traffic and your child get out his seat and walk up to you.He rides in a Sunshine kids XTSL if that helps any.I just dont know what to do to keep him in his seat.

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
You tried the Velcro trick. . .

Next "common" suggestion is to use a button front shirt over him AND the harness (put the shirt on him, buckle the harness and then button the shirt over top). After that, I might try a lightweight jacket with a zipper. Put a safety pin across the zipper so he can't pull it down.

Do you have other passengers that can help monitor him and/or interact with him?

It also might be helpful to give him toys or fidgets reserved for the car. Maybe if his hands are busy with something else. . .
http://www.suite101.com/content/fidgets-for-adhd-kids-a119715

http://www.squidoo.com/fidget-toys

Will he watch a video? This would be one time I would "promote" using a DVD player.

HTH

nmb

Is he RF or FF?

If he's mentally a 1 yr old, most 'typical' recommendations for punishment/discipline are not going to work. He's just not ready for that sort of cause/effect to take hold yet. He'll relate the spanking to Mom hurting him (obviously less than he'd be hurt unrestrained in a wreck) and being scary, but he won't realize that it is a response to his 'misbehavior'.
Add in a speech delay, and he almost certainly doesn't understand the safety explanations either.

I agree w/ the PP's suggestions to try distracting him, with toys or a movie, to keep him content in the seat, as a first step. And then a light jacket or shirt buttoned over the harness.

Does he have any siblings, or is he by himself back there?

Could also try a vest: http://www.ezonpro.com/products/familyVehicle/adjustableVest/103z.shtml

Rated for 2 yrs, 20 lbs and up.

Maybe a SN-certified tech can comment on whether that is safe for such a young kid?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC