Need help with seats!!

Asimplegirl

My daughter is a year old, and 20.2 lbs. she is 31 inches tall.

She currently uses a britax boulevard 70.

I drive a 1999 honda accord, and my usband drives a 1997 chevrolet z71 extended cab.

We are expecting baby #2 in june, and will likely try again pretty soon after this one is born for #3.

Now that you have the facts, heres the issue. I need another seat. Id like to have one to last from birth until around the time i can use a booster. Id want to rf until at least 35 lbs. i want to use a five point harness until at least 65 lbs. should i get another britax boulevard and a newborn insert, or get two new seats all together?

So far, i like the true fit premier c670.

Since, eventually, we will be three across we needd something thatll at least leave room for a radian in the middle for the oldest child.

What should i do? I wont keep the boulevard and get a different seat, as i believe the steel reinforced fram of the boulevard to be awesome and will not be put into a position of which child by the door gets stuck in a better seat than another... So, whats better and likely to be used longer- two boulevard 70s, or two other seats?

And what would fit good into both vehicles?

Help!!!
Also, i cannot afford a foonf, as awesome as they are... Im not paying 300+$ for a carseat. I cannot afford it.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Most other seats will last longer than the Boulevard. It's one of the shorter higher weight seats out there. I'd probably go for a Radian now, since you're planning a third later.

No seats are better than the other. We are not privy to the data they have during testing, only that they pass testing. And there are no standards for side impact yet, even if we did have numbers. Steel is not better or worse than a pure plastic seat.

You could also look at the Graco Size4Me, True Fit, Graco My Ride, Maxi Cosi Pria.

Wendy

Stelvis

Why not just get the infant insert for the Boulevard 70 ($15) and use that for the newborn? Then get a taller convertible for the 1 year old. The Boulevard fits newborns GREAT.

MommyShannon

Why not just get the infant insert for the Boulevard 70 ($15) and use that for the newborn? Then get a taller convertible for the 1 year old. The Boulevard fits newborns GREAT.

Definitely this. We debated similar when our 4th was born 6 months ago. I love our Britax convertibles while they are younger, but they are outgrown a lot sooner. I passed ours to our nb and got a True Fit for our 2 year old. We have a van though so no 3 across. In your case I'd get the 1 year old a Radian and pass down the BV. Our 2.5 yo does still fit the Britax seats (we have Marathon 70 and Roundabout 55) but her TF has tons more growing room. It's a wide seat though.

Asimplegirl

If i have to eventually replace it, itd be better to do mow, as i have someone who will buy it from me if sold soon.

Also, as i said, i will not get one britax, one less than great brand based on reputation. I refuseto decide which child to put in a steel reinforced seat, which in one onsidered not as strong.

So, shoud i get another britax and aninsert or two other seats, like the true fit premier?

Asimplegirl

Definitely this. We debated similar when our 4th was born 6 months ago. I love our Britax convertibles while they are younger, but they are outgrown a lot sooner. I passed ours to our nb and got a True Fit for our 2 year old. We have a van though so no 3 across. In your case I'd get the 1 year old a Radian and pass down the BV. Our 2.5 yo does still fit the Britax seats (we have Marathon 70 and Roundabout 55) but her TF has tons more growing room. It's a wide seat though.

Why do you suggest the radian over the true fit?

rachelandtyke

Why do you suggest the radian over the true fit?

The Radian is narrow and the True Fit is wide. If you're going to want to get 3 back there, then it might be hard with one or two True Fits, but should be much easier with at least one Radian.

I have a True Fit and really do like it, but it can limit your options in a 3 across.

Asimplegirl

The Radian is narrow and the True Fit is wide. If you're going to want to get 3 back there, then it might be hard with one or two True Fits, but should be much easier with at least one Radian.

I have a True Fit and really do like it, but it can limit your options in a 3 across.

Do you think that twotfp and a radian, or even one boulevard, one tfp and one radian would work?
Whenevr we have another, im not opposed to passing down a seat and getting a radian at that point.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Generally, anything, anything and TFP is a no. It's just a beast. I've had a TFP in a three across. It required a Radian, blood sweat and tears from TWO techs (and this was in my own car so I knew it well), and then the adult sitting in the third position was still not cozy. That was in a 2001 Nissan Xterra. It was for one day, though it probably could have worked full time if we had another Radian in that third position. I don't know that either of your backseats is wider than my Xterra's, so I'd be remarkably wary to recommend a TFP. You can try it, but be prepared to return it or have to sell it later.

Wendy

rachelandtyke

A Blvd, TFP, and Radian might puzzle OK, but I've never played with all 3 together to have any kind of sense of how they might do next to each other. I think that would potentially work better than having 2 TFP though. It's all car dependent as well.

I was able to to get a ffing True Fit (not Premier), high back turbobooster, and baseless Chicco Keyfit in my parents' 2005 Camry and also a ffing TF, backless turbobooster, and rfing TF in there. I could not put the 2 TF next to each other even with one ffing and one rfing.

Dmcj13

If i have to eventually replace it, itd be better to do mow, as i have someone who will buy it from me if sold soon.

Also, as i said, i will not get one britax, one less than great brand based on reputation. I refuseto decide which child to put in a steel reinforced seat, which in one onsidered not as strong.

So, shoud i get another britax and aninsert or two other seats, like the true fit premier?

There is no reason both kids really need to be in the same seat, as there is absolutely no proof or real reason to believe that the Britax is better, safer or in any way superior to any other brand of car seat, they all pass the same testing. That being said the Radian has a steel frame as well, if it is that important to you, and puzzles very nicely with a Britax going the same direction. If it were me, I would put the nb in the Boulevard and the toddler in a Radian, it is so much easier to load a toddler into a Radian, and it will be one less seat you need to worry about when planning a three across later.

Jessica61624

There is no reason both kids really need to be in the same seat, as there is absolutely no proof or real reason to believe that the Britax is better, safer or in any way superior to any other brand of car seat, they all pass the same testing. That being said the Radian has a steel frame as well, if it is that important to you, and puzzles very nicely with a Britax going the same direction. If it were me, I would put the nb in the Boulevard and the toddler in a Radian, it is so much easier to load a toddler into a Radian, and it will be one less seat you need to worry about when planning a three across later.

This. I have a radian out board for my 3 yr old. Britax Blvd 70 middle for my 6 months old. It's not hard to load him into the center and buckle him. They fit really well next to each other.

Stelvis

But you could use the Boulevard with infant insert again for baby #3. So really, if you already have it, don't sell it. It's a great seat for infants and young toddlers and will work in many 3 across configurations.

MommyShannon

I would keep the blvd. I love Britax for babies. I would use it for the youngest baby each time. The radian is a very substantial seat yet narrow for getting 3 across. Depending on when you have #3, your oldest might be ready to ff then (3 or 4 years old). You would buy a combo seat or another radian then, pass radian to #2, and pass blvd to baby.

Asimplegirl

Are you guys sure a radian would fit rearfacing in our two vehicles?
Id hate to spend that kind of money and find that it doesnt. Also, do i also have to buy an angle adjuster, or does that come with the seat?

Btw, my husband is 5'10 and i am 5'7. I usually drive the accord, but sometimes, he does. I dont think he moves the seat back any further than me.

Asimplegirl

Anywhere i could find the radian rxt any cheaper than $219?
I can find the truefit premier for $131 and free shipping...

I also dont have latch in either vehicle. I know the truefit has the seatbelt locks to make it more secure. What would i do with a radian?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Here's a Radian I installed in a pre-change Subaru. I think a 2007 Outback? You can see the angle adjuster under it and you can see how little space the carseat takes up. In your cars you can brace the Radian against the front seats, so you'd be allowed to push this front seat back even a little further.

Both of your cars have locking seatbelts. Lockoffs or locking clips are not needed. But the Radian would come with a locking clip. All carseats have a way to lock the belt with them. Either lockoff or a locking clip.

It sounds like you really want the True Fit Premier. That's an astonishing price (I paid $216 new for mine just over three years ago). Go for it! It may take up more front to back space than the Radian with angle adjuster, but it's a great seat.

Wendy

Asimplegirl

Here's a Radian I installed in a pre-change Subaru. I think a 2007 Outback? You can see the angle adjuster under it and you can see how little space the carseat takes up. In your cars you can brace the Radian against the front seats, so you'd be allowed to push this front seat back even a little further.

Both of your cars have locking seatbelts. Lockoffs or locking clips are not needed. But the Radian would come with a locking clip. All carseats have a way to lock the belt with them. Either lockoff or a locking clip.

It sounds like you really want the True Fit Premier. That's an astonishing price (I paid $216 new for mine just over three years ago). Go for it! It may take up more front to back space than the Radian with angle adjuster, but it's a great seat.

Wendy

Between that and the radian, what would you honestly suggest?

I was told about that seat by techs on cafemom forum, and they kimd of soldme on it.. Then here you guys all talk of the radian.

I just dont know what to do. Lol

Oh, and i dont see a pic..

Asimplegirl

Also, for my husbands truck, are there two seats you guys would suggest to someone on a very tight budget, just in case he doesnt want to remove seats from my car?
I do have an infant graco bucket i could use in his truck if i need to until baby fits in bigger seat.
Any suggestions? Otherwise, he will just go with the cheapest possible thing

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm on my phone, so this will be short. I'll repost the pictures from home. Oops! iI own a TFP. it's what Laine rides in. It's my all time personal favorite. However, the 35 pound rear facing limit isn't enough for some. iI used to own a Radian as well and liked it a lot. iI had two at one point.

wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC