Question Need help soon!!!!!! 97 Explorer - 3 across and new seats

my2boys

Need help soon!!!!!! 97 Explorer - 3 across and new seats **Updated w/ New ?s 5/6**

**Update 5/17 Post 28 with another question**

Have a 1997 Explorer. Expecting #3 in Oct. So will have 3 in the back seat. We're hoping to get a bigger vehicle like a Yukon or Tahoe but only time will tell if we can afford it.

New baby will be in an older (about 4 years old - borrowed from a friend) Graco seat.

DS1 in Turbobooster. He's 7 and about 46#.

DS2 outgrowing FPSVD fast. I think he's even with the top slots. He's just turned 4yo. About 43#. Not sure of height or seated height.

DS1 wants a more comfortable seat. He said the TB seat starts to hurt after a long ride.

DS2 - I don't know what to do. I prefer to keep him harnessed not only for safety but my sanity with the new baby coming. We can't really afford the Frontier. The Nauti was snug in the crotch and he didn't like it. DH suggests going to booster. But in the Explorer, 3 seats will be tight and it will be a struggle to buckle the belt because it would be so tight.
We've ridden him around the neighborhood in DS1's booster and he did good but not sure *I'm* ready for full time.
Haven't seen a Maestro. What b&m stores carry it?
I did consider the Parkway SG but in DH's truck, it couldn't go up far without hitting the inside of the truck. We didn't have the Explorer then to try it.

So what are my options for both boys?

Can I add padding to the TB for DS1 just for comfort? Is there another booster that is narrow, inexpensive and comfortable?

What for DS2? I'm lost here.

I'm sorry if this is a jumbled mess. We've been through so much lately that I have a hard time getting things out. :)

Fast help would be appreciated as I don't know how much longer DS2 will fit in the seat.

Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

cookie123

A just turned 4 kiddo is likely to be unable to sit in position 100% of the time in a belt positioning booster seat. I would try hard to get him into a harnessed combination seat. The Frontier 85 is the most roomy and has the highest top harness slots. The Graco Nautilus and the Evenflo Maestro have about equal top harness slots. The Evenflo is more likely to fit in a 3 across, but has only a 50 lb weight limit. This may or may not get your kiddo to an age where he could safely ride in a booster. I'd probably risk it in your situation, since you have a little one you can pass down to. The Recaro ProSport is another option, having about the same slots as the Nautilus and the Maestro, but more of a Frontier price tag.

mommycat

You cannot add padding to the TB, but you may be able to find another TB model with better padding. You could also try the PWSG, or the SK Monterey - which is narrow in the seat but isn't narrow in the shoulders, which might be fine sitting next to a RF seat. Maybe look at the Vivo? I think that's supposed to be narrow too, and works for smaller kids but not sure how big it fits after that.

Is the borrowed Graco seat a 22lb seat or one of the HW buckets? I hope it's a 30+lb seat, because then this would be easier to envision...
I might actually skip the FR/Nauti/Maestro and get a Radian. I think DS2 should still have room to grow by height and it has a 65lb limit, so you aren't pushing that. It's nice and narrow. When the baby outgrows the bucket, DS2 will hopefully have matured enough to sit well in the booster (TB), and if not, you could get a Scenera to tide you over until he is and you can pass the Radian down.

Double check that the Radian will install well both FF and RF, though! If it doesn't maybe you could try the Complete Air.

emntheboys

Hi there!! I have a '99 Explorer and will be going 3 across within a couple of weeks! Our kids are also similar sizes/weights so that helps too.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of the most recommended combination seats (Nautilus, Frontier, Maestro) are going to work for your DS2. I've only been able to get combinations with a max width of 16-17" per seat to work.

The TB & Recaro Vivo both work well. The TB works a little better because it is easier to buckle. Maybe see if you can find a version with more padding? With both seats, I have to slide the seat out a little, buckle, then slide back in.

My suggestion for your DS2 is a Radian. Even though he won't need the rearfacing component, you can have him ride in it for now and then pass it down to the baby in the future. At that time DS2 will be of a more booster-ready age. The Radian and Explorer were MADE for each other. Really easy install RF & FF in all positions.

For infant seats, the Keyfit puzzles amazingly well with the aforementioned seats.

Here's my configuration right now... DS1 outboard passenger in Vivo, DS2 center FF Radian 65, DD (coming soon) outboard drivers.

emntheboys

I forgot to add- neither the Safeseat/Snugride 35 or Onboard worked 3 across for me. Even with the narrow TB/Radian combo, they are just too wide. I didn't get a chance to try the Snugride 30, so maybe that is an option?

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We had a late 90s explorer before kid #4.

We did turbo, snugride, turbo. We had to kind of move the turbos out to reach and buckle but it worked.

I would also look at the radian or complete air for the 4y. You can then hand down to baby when he/she outgrows the infant seat.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

my2boys

How much higher are the slots on the Radian compared to the FPSVD? I didn't think it would give enough room to grow but I've never seen one either.

I will have to look at the infant seat. I'm going to guess it's one of the 22# ones but I'm not certain.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
How much higher are the slots on the Radian compared to the FPSVD? I didn't think it would give enough room to grow but I've never seen one either.

I will have to look at the infant seat. I'm going to guess it's one of the 22# ones but I'm not certain.

They both have 17" top slots, BUT the Radian is so much more upright, you tend to get more room out of the harness.

emntheboys

They both have 17" top slots, BUT the Radian is so much more upright, you tend to get more room out of the harness.

And Sushine Kids allows the shoulders to go 1" over the top slots. Some parents are comfortable with this, some are not- it would need to be your decision.

henrietta

If you can do a Radian, I would do that. It would be worth it, since you can hand it down for the baby to rearface in.

FWIW, you may also have to consider top tether positions. It's possible that only 2 can be retrofitted to your Explorer--both outboard--that's been the case w/my Dad's Mercury Mountaineer and brother's Ford Explorer from the same years. Top ta's are FREE at Ford dealerships.

If your ds2 can't sit in an outboard position w/a top tether OR you can't lift the infant seat into the center, the Radian at least tested very well w/o using a top tether forward facing.

GL!

henrietta

my2boys

But, a couple of you have suggested the Complete Air. What are the top slots on it?

What about a Safety 1st Go Hybrid Booster with harness? Any opinion on that?

ETA: Infant seat is Graco 22# rfing.

DS2 seated height is 15 1/2" sitting criss cross on the floor measuring up to shoulder. Shouldn't he have more room in the FPSVD then? I'm going to have DH try getting his seat as upright as possible and see if we gain any room.

Last edited:

henrietta

But, a couple of you have suggested the Complete Air. What are the top slots on it?

What about a Safety 1st Go Hybrid Booster with harness? Any opinion on that?

ETA: Infant seat is Graco 22# rfing.

DS2 seated height is 15 1/2" sitting criss cross on the floor measuring up to shoulder. Shouldn't he have more room in the FPSVD then? I'm going to have DH try getting his seat as upright as possible and see if we gain any room.

Well, seated torso height does NOT always add up to the exact same in the seat...it's just a really general guide. It doesn't surprise me at all that at 15.5", he's even w/the top slots of the FPSVD. I think my 5.5 yr old is a smidge bigger than that, and he's out of the FPSVD.

As for the Go...I would totally skip it. You're basically paying quite a bit for a backless booster w/an added harness and you MUST have a top tether anchor to use the harness. It doesn't give a lot of side protection or sides for sleeping.

The Complete Air Vs. Radian is basically same difference either way--just a matter of preference for different features and prices. Radian benefits are that it allows for the child's shoulders to go over that top harness slot, provided the tops of their ears are still under the top of the seat, AND that it tested really well sans top ta.

hths

henrietta

Last edited:

my2boys

Slight update with more info -

Looked at Complete Air at Target tonight. Did not take it out to the car. With it sitting on the floor, DS2 had a couple inches between his shoulder and the top slot. DH doesn't like it at all.

When we got home, DH took the infant seat (Snugride 22#) out to the Explorer to try it out fully installed. It will *not* work with the TB for DS1 and the FPSVD (what we still have for now). The infant seat won't go into the base because it hits the FPSVD and then the FPSVD hits the door.
We had the seats - TB behind driver, infant in center, FPSVD behind passenger.

DH is really pushing to just get a TB for DS2 but I am so hesitant. But I don't know what else to do.

There is no store within an hour that has a radian to try. (Long shot - any techs with one around Dayton, Ohio??)

We're really trying to make the Explorer work so we don't have to finance a new car with money we don't have to spend.

Help please! This hormonal, emotional, pregnant mama is done. :(

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
What didn't dh like about the complete air? Might help us give you different suggestions. The complete air 65 sits more on a base which will probably help when you hand it down to baby.

Not only would I try to fit Turbo, snugride, ?newseat? (Complete air, Radian, etc.)

But also try Turbo, ?newseat? (Complete air, Radian, RF for baby when snugride is outgrown), Turbo.

By October #2 will be at least 4.5y and probably close to 46#, so I wouldn't go with the maestro even if it did fit.

Buckling the turbos next to the snugride is not the easiest, but do able. Our explorer was dhs vehicle, then was becoming mine until we found out #4 was on her way. Dd1 was 6y and ds2 was 5y. They could both buckle themselves after I worked on teaching them. They were both over 50# and had outgrown our Nania Airways. (To bad they are not still made anymore. Very narrow combo seat.)

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Also, I have never used a Go seat, but I would skip it because you will have to install with the seatbelt which makes you loss harness height.

mommycat

Another "why did DH dislike the CA" here - I suspect it might be the price? and that he just wants the booster so he doesn't have an open mind about it?

Have you tried doing TB/FPSVD/SR22? You may be able to have the FPSVD overlap the booster a bit which might save a little room for the bucket. Although this is really a moot point if DS2 is really outgrowing that seat. Try getting it more upright to see if you gain any room but you will likely need to do something really soon anyway. But maybe it could gain you at least a little more time in the harness.

If DH insists on the booster, I would do some trial booster rides in DS1's TB before you decide and buy another booster. See if he is at all ready to sit well. At least if he is not ready you can tell DH exactly why and say that you tried, but it just isn't safe yet. And if he surprises you then you won't feel as stressed about him ending up in a booster sooner than you would have liked.

mommycat

(Long shot - any techs with one around Dayton, Ohio??)
Check the Public Listing for techs listed who are located near you. I see Ahrzyn is listed with a location of Dayton, OH. Not sure what seats she has and her DDs seem to be older but she might be able to help you out somehow. I would PM her or someone else of the list if anyone else is near you.

my2boys

Where do I find the public listing for techs? I've looked but obviously missed it.

Will be back to answer the other questions.

Thanks all.

krystin_21a

I'm not of the difference between the 97 and 2006 (which I have), but just in case there isn't much of one here is how my three across come Oct/Nov will be:
Big Kid (4 years)- Frontier, driver outboard, LATCH install
Middle Kid( will be 21 months) - rf Marathon(07 DOM), seatbelt, rf tether
Baby- Keyfit 30- outboard passenger, LATCH install

It's tight but works and everyone has plenty of room in the front.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC