Question Need help picking car seats

musaafirah

Hello all-

I have a 2.5 year old (don't know exact measurements as of now because he has grown since last I measured), average height, very tiny on the weight (about 23 pounds). I am also expecting my 2nd in June.

When my first was born, I had been on bedrest for my whole pregnancy and he came early so I was not prepared and did not have any car seat for him; since I needed one to take him home, my father went to the store to buy baby things and he ended up buying the Evenflo Aura Elite Travel System (in greenville). This was in 2009. I didn't have any issues with it, especially since my son was always on the smaller side and didn't outgrow till 1, our car at that time was a Cadillac Catera. However, I've just been reading the site and realize that I may not have even had it properly installed then because I often put the handle back against the seat and apparently it is not allowed to touch? It is the z-handle too, I've seen some topics here mentioning non-compliance but I can't find any more details about that.

At this point, I decided it was time to find him a convertible seat and unfortunately, made a huge mistake with my pick. I was pretty unfamiliar with carseat safety (although I DID know I wanted to rearface till at least 2, preferably longer). I should've come to a website like this to research but instead I relied on store reviews (like on the Walmart and BRU websites). Because of the nice price tag (less than 100 dollars) and glowing reviews, and because I thought Evenflo had served me so well with my first seat, I bought the Evenflo Titan Elite. Words cannot describe how much I HATE this seat. I don't know if its just me or just my car but I feel like it is a deathtrap, especially if used by the large portion of parents who are not super informed in car seat safety or proper carseat installation. To give an example, the first time it was installed perfectly according to its directions, lock clip on the seat belt and everything...my husband took a turn and the whole seat fell over to the side, my son was horizontal in the back seat. So we went over it, went online, did a lot of research and finally I was able to get a good install RF'ing.

However, after I had to move it to use in my father's car, I could NOT get it safely installed rearfacing. It would seem very tight and well-installed, everything would seem perfect and then one day it would just let go (and this happened in 2 different cars as we had since upgraded to a Toyota Sequoia). Anyway, it has been an issue to the point that I realized I would have to buy a new seat for sure, but in the mean time until I could figure out a new choice, I have had to turn my son front-facing (in the middle seat). I really don't like this AT ALL, to be clear, but I felt it was the best option until I could get a better convertible seat to RF him in because I can get a perfect, safe install FF'ing with the seat and I know he is not safe because I cannot properly install the seat RF'ing and have had multiple people try. So its basically RF'ing (which is safer) but with poor install (which is much more dangerous) till I get a new seat vs FF'ing with proper installation.

Anyway, so after looking over this website and a few others, I did like the Radian RXT but I think that is prob just too out of our price range. I have been heavily leaning toward getting the Graco MyRide 65 (can't decide whether the one with the surrounding foam is better or the regular?). I figured I would put my son in the MyRide rear facing (I am sure he'll fuss now that he likes to front face and will whine about not being able to see us but I'll put a mirror and he'll just have to deal because that is why I am the mum and he is the 2.5 year old ;) ) Then, when the baby is born I figured I'd put him in the infant seat (the evenflo embrace from my son, it hasn't expired yet), once he outgrows it (at 1, if he is anything like my 1st), then I would get a Graco Nautilus to FF DS1 in (by that time he will be almost 4 years old) and move DS2 (the baby) in to the Myride RF'ing. Seemed like a good plan to me because I would just have to buy the MyRide now and then have some time before I have to invest in the Nautilus (and can watch deals).

I prefer the infant car seat because even though I babywear, babies often fall asleep in the car and I don't want to have to wake him up and put him in the stroller separately or on me if the baby is sleeping in his seat, the infant car seat allows me to keep him in there and click him into the stroller so he can stay sleeping while I am doing whatever. So, that WAS my plan. However, now I've been seeing a lot of bad things about the Evenflo Aura travel system, especially the car seat (honestly, the stroller thing doesn't bother me because 1) I have the stroller and its still working fine, not really a safety issue, 2) I am probably going to get a double stroller (looking at the Kolcraft Contours or the Jeep Tandem) that will fit the infant carseat for when I have both children out and just reserve the Aura for when I only have one or if my son is going to sit in the Aura and I am going to wear the baby. However, I am worried about the carseat. In your opinions, do you think it is unsafe and do you think I should buy another carseat to use for the baby in its stead?

I am open to advice (even if it is for different seats) but I really need recommendations for my situation because I feel lost and need to make a decision soon. Definitely need a new seat to RF in for my skinny toddler and then a seat that will work for the newborn. BTW, I WILL be taking these to the police/fire station to get proper installs this time around and learn how.

Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome.

Working my way backwards, the Embrace (the seat that comes with the Aura) is safe provided you use it properly and it fits properly in your car. Because of the handle down AND 1.5" of clearance required it doesn't fit in many cars. Also, if the seat is a rear adjust seat it's notoriously difficult to use properly, so in that regard it is unsafe.

But, if you can make the seat work, it's perfectly safe.

It sounds like you're not locking the seatbelt when you're installing seats. You don't need the locking clip for cars made after 1997. They have locking belts. For most cars you pull the seatbelt all the way out and let it retract, then it'll be locked. Others (mostly American, so maybe your Caddy) lock at the buckle. To know if that's the case, compare the buckle to the driver's. If it looks different, it locks at the buckle. You can also pull it out all the way at the shoulder and it won't do anything.

The My Ride would be fine for him. I have a small 2.5 year old as well and she fits wonderfully in it and finds it quite comfortable. If he has a long torso you may want something else, but if he's got a short torso, he'll last a long time in the My Ride.

HTH

Wendy

musaafirah

Thank you. That is very helpful and I will check out ahead of time to see if our car is compatible with the Embrace or not. If not, I am looking into some alternatives, specifically the Chicco Keyfit30 or the Safety 1st onboard 35. The onboard 35 is cheaper but I think I may prefer the keyfit. Any recommendations between the two are welcome.

Oh, no, I am definitely locking the seatbelts (just put the locking clip on the Titan Elite because it was part of the instructions to do so although it wasn't really necessary). The weird thing is I've had a few separate issues with the Elite, basically, every time I think I've fixed one, I end up having a different one. The time I mentioned, where it went sideways, there was not belt to move on, I don't even understand how it happened myself because the belt was locked (but the seat that it was in in my car has a weirder seatbelt mechanism so I chalked it up to that, as its more nontraditional) but the seat was, in place, tipped over to the side. I also had a big issue with even when it was locked in place and there wasn't any significant movement in the belt pathway, it would be at an angle to the side. I switched it to a different seat with the normal seatbelt and then had different issues with it tipping and leaning too far backwards when a stop was made (it would REALLY go back).

I DID manage to get it installed beautifully using the LATCH system on a rental car (I think it was a hyundai) when we were traveling out of state. That was pretty much the only time I could stand the seat :). So maybe its just a harder install on the 2 cars that I have had or maybe it is better installed with LATCH, but I have trouble finding the latch areas on our SUV (its an older model) so I have been only using the seatbelt. Also, the shape of the bottom seemed to make it difficult to get a good grip on the leather seats (although I realize you can get something to put underneath there). Adding to that the fact that my tiny DS looks as though he might be outgrowing it already heightwise, the cupholders and accessories cannot stay on properly and if you use them (and even if not) often times the seat cover will come undone mid-drive...ugh, I think it is just a bad fit for us. I can't really blame the seat, I realize for some people it may work wonderfully, I have seen a few people mention similar issues to my own so I don't think I am alone in my frustration either, but its probably not the safest bet for us and our circumstances especially since we can't seem to get it safely installed RF. FF installation is very easy on it though but not what we are looking for right now. So it is good to hear the myride may be a better fit.

musaafirah

I happened to be at Target today and popped over to the car seat aisle to see if they had any seats for me to look at. They had a pretty limited selection (I will have to go to BRU for a good test) but they did have the myride65. I really liked it however I did remember seeing mention that it could be outgrown quickly with a child that is long in the torso. I'm not entirely sure if my son is longer in the torso (he just seems long in general, especially for his weight) but I guess his torso may be a bit longer than the average. Anyway, you can't really try the seat out but I just sat him in it for a minute to see how he sat in it and how far up his head was on the seat. He didn't have a huge space above but probably a good couple of inches, his head was slightly below the headrest if that means anything in giving you perspective of his height/torso length. So, given this, is it reasonable to expect him, while growing, to be able to fit in the seat 1 1/4-1.5 years until about 4 years old? I want to buy the seat, have him ride in it till he is ready to turn FF'ing, and then give the seat to the baby at that point. I know, if not, the TFP is a good option and have been considering it a lot as well, but I want to know if the TFP would even really be necessary for his height/torso length. I noticed today he is really up there on the Titan Elite and is very close to outgrowing it height wise.

Also, in terms of ease of installation and user-friendliness, does one seem superior to the other (Graco MR vs Truefit Premier)? Our primary car right now is a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. As I mentioned, the Evenflo Titan Elite was NOT a good match for our car and was almost impossible to get a proper install in. I will take it to a CPST the first time to get the installation checked and I don't switch cars a lot but sometimes I do have to take the seat and install it in my father's or SIL's car and in that case, I need to be able to figure it out myself without too much hassle or worry.

Lastly, (sorry for all these probably pedestrian questions ;) ) from those who have experimented with both the Chicco Keyfit and the Safety 1st Onboard (not the Onboard Air), which would you recommend for an infant seat (or is there another you'd recommend more? I looked at the snugride but it seems the majority of the front adjust snugrides seem to be getting up there in price close to the chicco) and what do you think the pros and cons are of each?

Oh ok, ONE more, sorry, I was thinking up these today I guess. In terms of where to install, what would be the best seating for my kids in the Sequoia? Until the baby comes, my son will be in the middle RF'ing but once he comes, should i keep my son in the middle and the baby outboard or move my son outboard and the baby to the middle? I will probably sit in the back (outboard) a lot, especially on longer trips.

Thank you!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I really liked it however I did remember seeing mention that it could be outgrown quickly with a child that is long in the torso. I'm not entirely sure if my son is longer in the torso (he just seems long in general, especially for his weight) but I guess his torso may be a bit longer than the average. Anyway, you can't really try the seat out but I just sat him in it for a minute to see how he sat in it and how far up his head was on the seat. He didn't have a huge space above but probably a good couple of inches, his head was slightly below the headrest if that means anything in giving you perspective of his height/torso length. So, given this, is it reasonable to expect him, while growing, to be able to fit in the seat 1 1/4-1.5 years until about 4 years old?

Does he wear longer shirts or longer pants?

If he has 1.5" to 2" above his head to the 1" mark, and he's 1.5 years old now, he'll probably outgrow the seat rear facing around three years old. Forward facing he would make it to four and likely beyond.

I know, if not, the TFP is a good option and have been considering it a lot as well, but I want to know if the TFP would even really be necessary for his height/torso length. I noticed today he is really up there on the Titan Elite and is very close to outgrowing it height wise.

The True Fit is much taller than the My Ride or Titan Elite, so it will last a very very long time by height (Piper hit the 1" mark at seven years old, though she was over the weight limit). The 35 pounds rear facing is what is mainly a turn off for this seat, if you have an average to heavier child. For long, light kids, I love the True Fit.

Also, in terms of ease of installation and user-friendliness, does one seem superior to the other (Graco MR vs Truefit Premier)? Our primary car right now is a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. As I mentioned, the Evenflo Titan Elite was NOT a good match for our car and was almost impossible to get a proper install in. I will take it to a CPST the first time to get the installation checked and I don't switch cars a lot but sometimes I do have to take the seat and install it in my father's or SIL's car and in that case, I need to be able to figure it out myself without too much hassle or worry.

Both are about the same. The True Fit's lockoffs are a pain for the first few times, but then they're easy.

Lastly, (sorry for all these probably pedestrian questions ;) ) from those who have experimented with both the Chicco Keyfit and the Safety 1st Onboard (not the Onboard Air), which would you recommend for an infant seat (or is there another you'd recommend more? I looked at the snugride but it seems the majority of the front adjust snugrides seem to be getting up there in price close to the chicco) and what do you think the pros and cons are of each?

Chicco versus regular onBoard? I'd go Chicco, big time.

Oh ok, ONE more, sorry, I was thinking up these today I guess. In terms of where to install, what would be the best seating for my kids in the Sequoia? Until the baby comes, my son will be in the middle RF'ing but once he comes, should i keep my son in the middle and the baby outboard or move my son outboard and the baby to the middle? I will probably sit in the back (outboard) a lot, especially on longer trips.

Thank you!

The ideal is baby in the middle and older rear facing child outboard. When the older child goes forward facing, put them in the middle and the baby rear facing outboard. You want the least protected child in the most protected position. So two rear facers, the younger is more at risk. One forward facing, they're more at risk.

Wendy

rosey2007

I know that you dislike the Titan but have you taken a look at the Evenflo Triumph Advance? I just got one for my youngest son and love this seat. It was easy to install and I love the easy to adjust straps too. I also have an Evenflo Tribute which I like but is not were easy to use as the Triumph.

musaafirah

Does he wear longer shirts or longer pants?

Longer shirts :). Thanks, I guess that answers my question on that matter.

If he has 1.5" to 2" above his head to the 1" mark, and he's 1.5 years old now, he'll probably outgrow the seat rear facing around three years old. Forward facing he would make it to four and likely beyond.

I actually looked back and realized I typed this in a very strange way. I said 1.5 years but what I meant was *years more*, he is actually 2.5 years old right now, so looking at it that way, it DOES seem based on what you said he would make it to 4 RF'ing in it?

The True Fit is much taller than the My Ride or Titan Elite, so it will last a very very long time by height (Piper hit the 1" mark at seven years old, though she was over the weight limit). The 35 pounds rear facing is what is mainly a turn off for this seat, if you have an average to heavier child. For long, light kids, I love the True Fit.

Both are about the same. The True Fit's lockoffs are a pain for the first few times, but then they're easy.

Chicco versus regular onBoard? I'd go Chicco, big time.

The ideal is baby in the middle and older rear facing child outboard. When the older child goes forward facing, put them in the middle and the baby rear facing outboard. You want the least protected child in the most protected position. So two rear facers, the younger is more at risk. One forward facing, they're more at risk.

Wendy

Thank you so much, this definitely cleared up a lot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC