Need Help! 5 seats in Dodge caravan + new van questions

yellowcampcat

I need to fit 8,6,3,3 and nb in an old (non latch) dodge caravan. I need 3 across on the back bench. The older two are currently in highback boosters, so I need a narrow convertible for one of the 3 year olds to go back there. Is a radian my only option?

Also looking for recommendations for a new van. I'd love to be able to remove the 2nd row passenger seat to ease loading/unloading and still have 5 boosters/carseats.

Thanks for any help!!

ADS

henrietta

I need to fit 8,6,3,3 and nb in an old (non latch) dodge caravan. I need 3 across on the back bench. The older two are currently in highback boosters, so I need a narrow convertible for one of the 3 year olds to go back there. Is a radian my only option?

Also looking for recommendations for a new van. I'd love to be able to remove the 2nd row passenger seat to ease loading/unloading and still have 5 boosters/carseats.

Thanks for any help!!

So, in other words, you're actually looking for an 8 passenger van? I believe that leaves you with the Honda Oddysey and maybe the Toyota Sienna.

The 8 passenger Oddy is really nice, but the middle seat in the second row is very, very tiny (narrow). It doesn't give you many seat options. It's best used w/a rear-facing seat or a booster seat, b/c it doesn't have a top tether anchor and can't be retrofitted for one. It's possible the latest models have fixed that. It also means trying to puzzle two seats together very carefully.

OR a regular 7 passenger van w/captains chairs in the back in which you can move the passenger side captains chair to the center, creating an isle on the passenger side to the back. I think most of Honda Oddys allow that (and have for a very long time) and the Sienna's. As for other vans, I'm not sure. The Chrysler Town and Country may allow that. The Ford Windstars allow you to shift their second row bench seat to one side or the other, making an aisle on the side of your choice.

As for your current van, it's all about puzzling in the third row. That's a tight third row. If you have a shoulder belt in the center of the third row, which I doubt since you said "older van", you could try the 2 three year olds on either side of one kid in a booster. The Radian probably would make things much easier. It's often very tough to get a booster seat buckled next to other seats. Different booster seats will puzzle with different harnessed seats. Asking about different combos here, esp in your particular van, can help a lot, b/c someone here has probably found a successful combination! ;)

And fwiw, if you don't have them already or don't know, Chrysler/Dodge retrofits top tether anchors for free. It should be possible to put 5 top tether anchors in your Caravan.

Does that help a bit?

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
What year is your current minivan? What seats do you have? I did many 3 across in our 1997 (2) and 2003 dodge minivan.

yellowcampcat

So, in other words, you're actually looking for an 8 passenger van? I believe that leaves you with the Honda Oddysey and maybe the Toyota Sienna.

The 8 passenger Oddy is really nice, but the middle seat in the second row is very, very tiny (narrow). It doesn't give you many seat options. It's best used w/a rear-facing seat or a booster seat, b/c it doesn't have a top tether anchor and can't be retrofitted for one. It's possible the latest models have fixed that. It also means trying to puzzle two seats together very carefully.

OR a regular 7 passenger van w/captains chairs in the back in which you can move the passenger side captains chair to the center, creating an isle on the passenger side to the back. I think most of Honda Oddys allow that (and have for a very long time) and the Sienna's. As for other vans, I'm not sure. The Chrysler Town and Country may allow that. The Ford Windstars allow you to shift their second row bench seat to one side or the other, making an aisle on the side of your choice.

As for your current van, it's all about puzzling in the third row. That's a tight third row. If you have a shoulder belt in the center of the third row, which I doubt since you said "older van", you could try the 2 three year olds on either side of one kid in a booster. The Radian probably would make things much easier. It's often very tough to get a booster seat buckled next to other seats. Different booster seats will puzzle with different harnessed seats. Asking about different combos here, esp in your particular van, can help a lot, b/c someone here has probably found a successful combination! ;)

And fwiw, if you don't have them already or don't know, Chrysler/Dodge retrofits top tether anchors for free. It should be possible to put 5 top tether anchors in your Caravan.

Does that help a bit?

Thank you, it helps a lot. I did not know that they would retrofit the anchors, but we really don't plan to have the van too much longer.

What year is your current minivan? What seats do you have? I did many 3 across in our 1997 (2) and 2003 dodge minivan.
It's a 1997
I currently have at my disposal: first years truefit, 2 graco highback turboboosters, apex 65 and an infant seat. Open to buying a radian, too.

bnsnyde

We have the Odyssey and have 5 carseats installed with access for everyone. 2011 model year and up is really easy for carseats. I could even do 6 carseats but then access would be tricky but doable. I'd have to use Radians in back for 3 across.

henrietta

It's a 1997
I currently have at my disposal: first years truefit, 2 graco highback turboboosters, apex 65 and an infant seat. Open to buying a radian, too.

I have a dead '97 Town and Country sitting in my driveway right now. :) The Apex and True Fits are WIDE seats. Maybe you could fit a Radian in the center of the third row w/the Turbo's...but I'm doubting it. I'm trying to remember if I've ever actually managed to get 3 across back there. There's no shoulder belt in the center, so that leaves you putting a harnessed seat only there. The buckle stalks on my old Chrysler are so long that even twisted 3 times, they still weren't short enough for some seats. If I remember correctly, the Radian allows you to have the buckle in the belt path, which would be very useful in the buckle stalks are long. Ideally, you'd get the top ta's installed, but the Radian and the Graco Nautilus pass with flying colors without them.

If one Radian in the center of the third row won't work w/the Turbos, you could try 2 Radians side by side (one center, one outboard) and one Turbo. OR try swapping one Turbo for a no back booster w/a different shape like a Harmony literider or Cosco Top Sider for the 8 yr old. Another option is to put the new baby outboard aisle spot of the third row, setting his/her seat in after the other kids have climbed in back, if it will fit front to back.

The Evenflo Maestro is also a narrower combo seat and it may work. Maybe the Dodge is actually wider in the third row than the Chrysler.

Where do you have the kids all sitting right now? Do you have a second row bench or captain's chairs? If it's a bench, what fits on it?

yellowcampcat

I have a dead '97 Town and Country sitting in my driveway right now. :) The Apex and True Fits are WIDE seats. Maybe you could fit a Radian in the center of the third row w/the Turbo's...but I'm doubting it. I'm trying to remember if I've ever actually managed to get 3 across back there. There's no shoulder belt in the center, so that leaves you putting a harnessed seat only there. The buckle stalks on my old Chrysler are so long that even twisted 3 times, they still weren't short enough for some seats. If I remember correctly, the Radian allows you to have the buckle in the belt path, which would be very useful in the buckle stalks are long. Ideally, you'd get the top ta's installed, but the Radian and the Graco Nautilus pass with flying colors without them.

If one Radian in the center of the third row won't work w/the Turbos, you could try 2 Radians side by side (one center, one outboard) and one Turbo. OR try swapping one Turbo for a no back booster w/a different shape like a Harmony literider or Cosco Top Sider for the 8 yr old. Another option is to put the new baby outboard aisle spot of the third row, setting his/her seat in after the other kids have climbed in back, if it will fit front to back.

The Evenflo Maestro is also a narrower combo seat and it may work. Maybe the Dodge is actually wider in the third row than the Chrysler.

Where do you have the kids all sitting right now? Do you have a second row bench or captain's chairs? If it's a bench, what fits on it?

We've been wrestling with it for a couple hours now, and not much is working. :/ Right now we have the apex and true fit on the back bench and two older evenflo triumphs in the captains chairs. We just tried both turboboosters and the RF truefit across the bench and the booster kids could'nt buckle their belts. We could try a FF evenflo, booster and the infant seat across the back, then the truefit and another booster in the captains chairs. We'd put the booster in front of the infant seat, so it could push foward to get the baby out. We'd like to keep the twins (triumphs) RF - they are 3.5, but I'm not sure if that's possible with this vehicle and the need for 5 seats.

Phineasmama

Try a Graco MyRide on the back bench. The seat itself seems wide, but the base of it is tiny, only 11" across. If you have boosters on either side it could be a good option for you.

henrietta

Try a Graco MyRide on the back bench. The seat itself seems wide, but the base of it is tiny, only 11" across. If you have boosters on either side it could be a good option for you.

This is a great suggestion, b/c sometimes this will work. The My Ride does have a narrow base, so rearfacing esp, you may be able to get a booster next to it. You may need to try a different booster though, like a narrower Harmony Literider or Cosco Top Sider. The BubbleBum booster would definitely increase your options and would likely work well for your 8 yr old. http://www.target.com/p/bubblebum-booster-car-seat/-/A-14221838

I'm here to tell you that it is highly unlikely that you'll be able to use the Apex, Triumphs, or True Fit in nearly ANY 3 across on that back seat. Maybe in combo w/a Radian and *one* of those, but not two. I believe there's only about 12 inches or so available for the middle seat.

I'll mess around tomorrow in the T & C tomorrow and see if I can figure anything out for you. Until recently, we had a Triumph...and I used to have an Apex. I know how wide those are. ;)

I'd prefer to see your kiddos rearfacing as long as possible, esp since you currently don't have top tethers, but at 3.5 they are very safe forward facing in a properly used seat.

henrietta

You said "older Evenflo Triumphs"...just a reminder...the expiration on those is 6 years from date of manufacture. Are they the ones that go to 40 lbs, 50 lbs, or 65 lbs? The same goes for the Apex-6 yrs from dom. They may be expired.

Even if they aren't expired, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to put the Triumph or the True fit in the center forward facing and get a booster kid next to it easily in that back seat--the back on those seats is so side, it will rub against your booster kids. With a narrower seat, like the Radian or an Evenflo Maestro, you will probably have more luck.
If you'll share your kid's sizes, what they *normally* ride in and how they fit in it, and which seats you have that are definitely not expired...as well as a budget, maybe we can figure out something a bit easier and better for you. ;)

yellowcampcat

dd (8) is about 52" 52 lbs. normally in apex or turbo
dd (6) is about 47" 45 lbs. normally in truefit or turbo
dd(3) is about 37" 32 lbs normally in triumph
ds (3) is about 36" 28 lbs. normally in triumph
Our budget is about $160 or so. If I had known this baby would be making an appearance, I would have thought ahead and purchased narrower seats for the older kids initially. Theirs still have a couple years left before expiration. ah well. ;)

henrietta

dd (8) is about 52" 52 lbs. normally in apex or turbo
dd (6) is about 47" 45 lbs. normally in truefit or turbo
dd(3) is about 37" 32 lbs normally in triumph
ds (3) is about 36" 28 lbs. normally in triumph
Our budget is about $160 or so. If I had known this baby would be making an appearance, I would have thought ahead and purchased narrower seats for the older kids initially. Theirs still have a couple years left before expiration. ah well. ;)

I know what you mean! :) Babies happen though, and they are certainly a wonderful surprise! So, your Triumphs are Triumph Advances that go to 50 lbs?

I'm sorry I didn't get to my van yet today...I'll try again tomorrow.

yellowcampcat

I know what you mean! :) Babies happen though, and they are certainly a wonderful surprise! So, your Triumphs are Triumph Advances that go to 50 lbs?

I'm sorry I didn't get to my van yet today...I'll try again tomorrow.

yes, I believe so. I need to get the manuals and make sure. I was thinking maybe one backless booster (maybe the topsider?), the FF truefit and the infant seat (graco snugride) might fit across the back? I will try to pick up the topsider tomorrow. At 35w preggo, wrestling with seats in 20 degree weather is not my cup of tea, but it's part of my nesting! With that arrangement I could flip the 2nd row captains chair forward to get the baby out, and it would be easy for my two olders to get out of the van for school drop off.

I also found a used radian on CL that's about a half hour from me. Do you think it's safe to buy a used (nonexpired) seat on CL? I haven't before, but this is a significant savings.

Phineasmama

I also found a used radian on CL that's about a half hour from me. Do you think it's safe to buy a used (nonexpired) seat on CL? I haven't before, but this is a significant savings.

Definitely not :( You just never know, there are a lot of people who just suck, and they don't care if they sell an unsafe car seat. You can't tell by looking at it if it's been in an accident, so never buy a used car seat unless you trust that person with your child's life!

Keeanh

I put 2 literiders on either side of a rear-facing Scenera in the back of a '96 Caravan. It would probably work with a forward-facing Scenera too.

Do you have headrests in your van? If you don't, you can get them from a scrapyard because you do have the holes for mounting them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC