Need car seat rec. for 2005 Honda Odyssey - Canada

Hemlock

My son is only 4 months old, but I am starting to research which car seat I should buy once he outgrows his infant seat (or when he gets too heavy for me to carry in the infant seat). He currently weighs 18 pounds and I am already struggling with the weight of the seat :)

I've been reading reviews but am feeling overwhelmed with the choices. I drive a 2005 Honda Odyssey and his seat will likely be installed in the second row captain on the driver side. I live in a remote Canadian (Ontario) community so I cannot try out any seats prior to purchase. Hoping to buy something that will last until he is ready for a high back booster.

Any recommendations?

ADS

bubbaray

I have put a classic MA RFg,(& FFg) in and 05 Ody. Also a FFg RN (original style, huge incompatibility). Also a FR and a GN. By far the easiest seat to install in that vehicle was the MA

Hemlock

I have put an Evenflo Triumph in my parents' '05 Odyssey. It worked pretty well. They just recently changed to 40 lbs rear-facing, so you need to check carefully to make sure you order the right one. http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=12960369

Thanks for the recommendation. I had never even considered an Evenflo seat before. I will definitely look into this one some more. I also appreciate the link to the right seat, they all sound so similar to me.

I have put a classic MA RFg,(& FFg) in and 05 Ody. Also a FFg RN (original style, huge incompatibility). Also a FR and a GN. By far the easiest seat to install in that vehicle was the MA

Thank you for the recommendation. I had looked at the Britax seats, but they also all seem very similar to me. Is the right MA http://http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=13173854

featherhead

Thanks for the recommendation. I had never even considered an Evenflo seat before. I will definitely look into this one some more. I also appreciate the link to the right seat, they all sound so similar to me.

Thank you for the recommendation. I had looked at the Britax seats, but they also all seem very similar to me. Is the right MA http://http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=13173854

The Marathon she is talking about isn't sold in Canada anymore, but I assume the new one would fit fine as well. It isn't quite as tall as the Evenflo Triumph that I linked to, so it won't last quite as long rear-facing, but it is still a great choice.

Hemlock

I really like the look and price of the Evenflo Triumph, but I don't want price to be a factor in my decision - within reason, of course. There seems to be so much love around here for the Britax seats. Do the Britax seats have features that the Evenflo seat doesn't?

featherhead

The Britax seats are more padded, have dual LATCH straps (each side is tightened independently), and a "crumple zone" in the base to reduce head excursion for forward-facing. They can also be tethered rear-facing.

The Evenflo seat has a no-rethread harness, like most of the Britax seats. It has more leg room for rear-facing. The harness tightness is adjusted with a knob instead of a regular pull-strap.

I think there is just as much love for the Triumph here as the Britax seats.

featherhead

Thanks for your help. I think I will go with the Triumph! In fact, I see you are a CPS Tech and use one for your own child, which makes me feel even better about my decision. :)

Yes, I have one, and I like it. I used it for my middle child on and off from the time she was 3 months till around 2 years. For my 3rd I used it from about 4 months. She is now 10 months and I just switched to the Radian. The Radian is probably my favourite convertible, though there are several others that are high on my list, including the Triumph. I like to try a variety of seats as well, so I am familiar with them when doing seat checks. I didn't recommend the Radian for you though, because it doesn't always work well in Odysseys.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC