Question Need advice! MIL was in a car accident today

cath_b

I was looking for a thread about car seats in car accidents and what to do with them but was unsuccessful in finding an answer to my questions. Moderators please feel free to redirect this post if it does not belong here.

Is it necessary to replace car seats in any type of car accidents? i.e. fender bender vs. pretty big accident but car not considered totaled (2003 Odyssey).

If replacement is a must, what should we do with the old car seats? Are these recyclable? If I must replace the car seats I don't want the old ones taking up space in my house and I couldn't give them away either.

TIA for your advice.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Hi Cath! Welcome to the board!

There is a difference in type of accident. NHTSA has established replacement guidelines. Some seats follow these guidelines (namely Britax, Combi with at least its Coccoro, and Sunshine Kids with its Monterey -- but not Radian,) but many seats are required to be replaced after "any" accident (Graco, Evenflo, Cosco/Dorel.)

The first thing to establish is what type of accident it was. The NHTSA guidelines are here and are as follows:

Minor crashes are those that meet ALL of the following criteria:
*The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
*The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;
*There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
*The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
*There is no visible damage to the safety seat

If any one of those criteria is not met, it is a major crash and ALL seats in the vehicle must be replaced.

If all of those criteria are met, next you move on to what seats you have. You should look in your manual and find the section that talks about replacement after a crash.

If you need help determining the severity of the crash or whether your particular seats need replaced, please post more details (description of crash, seats that were installed) and we'll be happy to help you determine it.

If you determine that your seats need replaced, insurance should pay for a replacement. Depending on your company and your adjuster, you may have a fight on your hands, or it may go smooth as butter. Personally, I got eight seats with an aggregate value of over 1k replaced without a fight, despite the lack of visible damage to the seats, but my crash was fairly severe and I was pretty no-nonsense in talking to the adjuster, ie, "I had eight seats in the vehicle, how do we go about replacing those?" and then providing the company the information they needed.

Sometimes insurance companies will require the old seats -- mine wanted the shells left with the (totaled) vehicle, but was fine if I took the covers and any other reusable parts. If your MIL's insurance co doesn't want the seats, then they should be destroyed. Straps cut, covers removed, shells mashed up with a hanger or at minimum, having "CRASHED! DO NOT USE!" written all over the shell in black marker. The parts should be put out in dark trash bags over several weeks to dissuade dumpster divers from retrieving and attempting to reuse your unsafe seats. (This is the same protocol to use when disposing of an expired seat, BTW.)

Some areas do have seat recycling programs, but I don't know which ones. (Mine does not.)

Let us know if you'd like suggestions for replacement seats -- it's most helpful to have the children's ages, weights and heights, as well as the vehicle that the seats will be going into.

Hope that helps!

Pixels

There is an article on getting insurance to replace seats in the Articles forum, if they give you a hard time.

cath_b

Thank you both for the responses and specially the advice and links. They have all been so very helpful. Luckily, the insurance company is very good about replacing the car seat. They went ahead and searched the value of a new car seat in today's market and called my MIL back to tell her about it. Now if only I could get my MIL to understand why eventhough the car seat does not look damaged, it is still unsafe.

I love her to pieces but stuck on her ways sometimes, just sometimes. I guess car seat guidelines back in the 70s are not as strict as they are today. Did they even have car seats then?

I will have to ask DH to whack the heck out of the old car seat. *Sigh* another landfill contribution. No good! Oh well, I guess better that than endangering a child.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Some areas do have recycling programs. I have one near me. Oh, and car seats have been around since the 1920's or so. I own one from the 1950's!

cath_b

Hi again Judi, maybe you can tell California to start a recycling program :D Just saw your blog. That is awesome! More power to you. Sadly, we don't have one in California.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Where in CA are you? My local Recycle Center accepts them in the scrap plastic and metal bin, if all fabric and foam parts are stripped off. :)

Pixels

There were carseats Way Back When, but many of them were just a convenient place to stick the baby so it didn't roll under the seat or something, or basically boosters so the kid could see out the window better. Car seats were first crash-tested to a federal standard in 1981.

northernmommy

Thank you both for the responses and specially the advice and links. They have all been so very helpful. Luckily, the insurance company is very good about replacing the car seat. They went ahead and searched the value of a new car seat in today's market and called my MIL back to tell her about it.

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but just in case...make sure they are giving her the replacement value for the same seats. Replacement value for a Scenera won't exactly help you buy a new MA if that's what was in the car!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
would the seats need replacement if they were in a minor accident and not occupied?

That depends on the policy of the car seat manufacturer. You should always consult the individual seat's manual on this matter, and follow the recommendations therein. :)

cath_b

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but just in case...make sure they are giving her the replacement value for the same seats. Replacement value for a Scenera won't exactly help you buy a new MA if that's what was in the car!

Thank you for the reminder.:) They actually asked us for the model number of the car seat. So they are giving us the price for the same exact car seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm in the SF bay area. Really? There is a recycling center in California? Tell me more...website? Address?

There are many recycling centers in CA-- what they accept varies by city. Mine is Burbank, so that won't do a lot for you way up there. ;) But we have some really knowledgeable members from your area, and if you start a thread one of them might know of the nearest place to recycle car seats. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC