Need advice from anti immunization mommies!!

solmama

My sister and I both had chicken pox and measels, back to back, when we were little (3 and 4). My sister developed pneumonia and wound up in the hospital in an oxygen tent. In no way were we poor, or did we delay treatment. My mom is a nurse and an excellent one at that-you just never know what's going to happen.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I just wanted to add to my previous post cause I thought of something else when I read another post. The reason that I looked into delaying and eventually stopping vaxing was when the chicken pox vaccine came out. We went to the health dept to get shots because we don't have insurance so I was talking to the nurse there and she was going on about how they had to have it because apparently chicken pox is now life threatening. I told her that when I was younger everyone had chicken pox and that was the way it was and people didn't die then so what's the big deal. She said the reason they implemented the chicken pox vaccine as mandatory was because of low income people getting it and letting it get so bad and not seeking medical treatment and it was just easier to give a shot now instead of waiting and then having to treat in the hospital. Now, I'm sorry if this comes off mean or offends anyone, but I'm not going to put my kids at risk because of ignorant people who don't know enough to know when their kid is sick and to take them to the dr. This is along the same lines as the people that starved their baby, if you don't know any better then you shouldn't be breeding. And no that was not a bash at poor people, it was putting down stupid people.:rolleyes:

I heard it was just so working mothers wouldn't have to take a couple weeks off of work.... anything that gets everyone in the entire country to work a full 50 weeks a year with no paid time off, eh?

To Jordyn's Mom... it wasn't a big deal when we lived in CA... I think the kids only needed one shot before kindergarten...MMR booster? They maybe needed a TB skin test, too (huge Asian immigrant population where we lived makes it mandatory).

mominabigtruck

My sister and I both had chicken pox and measels, back to back, when we were little (3 and 4). My sister developed pneumonia and wound up in the hospital in an oxygen tent. In no way were we poor, or did we delay treatment. My mom is a nurse and an excellent one at that-you just never know what's going to happen.

I didn't mean to imply that everyone who has complications is poor or ignorant. It just makes it mad when they treat us like we're in a third world country where they go in and vax everyone just because they don't know any better and figure some people dying is better then everyone dying.

Jimaie(mom2boys)

My youngest had some vaxs, and never more than one at a time. If I have another, I probably will not vax at all for the first 2 years, then I'll do one shot at a time of any we feel are necessary.

It is a difficult choice that each of us has to make and we should research both sides before making the decision.

I'm curious, what are the benefits/reasons for delaying vaccinations until after the first 2 yrs?

Our youngest had a rather severe reaction to his last set of shots (NON stop screaming, fever of 105, febrile seizure) and is due to receive his 12mos vaccinations next month. I'm VERY nervoius about bringing him in and am not sure which route to take at this point b/c of the wealth of information supporting BOTH sides of the arguement, it gets to be a bit much to take in :confused: I'm leaning much more to the non vaxing side but would love to have more info to back up my questions and wonderings... This is a topic i began to reaseach after my 4yr old was born in 2003 but gave in to pressure from multiple MD's

Is there a single Rubella vaccination that is available? There ARE a couple of vaccines that i see as beneficial but am not sure as to how to go about researching which ones to get and/or avoid...
can anyone provide more information or resources? I would appreciate it greatly!
I have come across this site but am curious as to which ones you have seen
http://thinktwice.com/

Thank you so much!

skaterbabs

... isn't using that argument to say vaccines aren't necessary kind of the same as saying that seatbelts and car seats aren't necessary because in the past people didn't use them and for most of them it was no big deal and they survived?

Not even close. Because the odds of adverse reactions from the vast majority of childhood illnesses like chicken pox is so extremely low.

For some vaccines the statistical risk of serious adverse reactions from the vaccine is as high or higher than the risk of serious problems related to the illness, especially since most of the time those problems are related to secondary infections that can be treated pretty effectively now.

The risk of dying in a car crash is significantly higher. How many people die in car crashes every year? 42443 deaths in USA 2001 How many people die from chicken pox? around 50, mostly immune compromised children (AIDS, Cancer, ect) and adults who didn't have CP as kids.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
In some states (like Iowa), even homeschooling doesn't get you out of vaccinating. Every state has some form of exemption, however: medical, religious, &/or philosophical.

Suzibeck

I'm curious, what are the benefits/reasons for delaying vaccinations until after the first 2 yrs?

Delaying the first two years just gives your baby's own immune system a chance to get strong on its own before bombarding it with vax. Being that I'm torn on the whole issue, I may choose to do some, but not with an infant, I just really hate the idea of infant vax now.

It has been an evolving process for me. Given that I'm 40 and not ttc, but not trying that hard not to either, who know's if we will have another. If it happens, I'll research again and decide what to do then.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I too, found great irony in the fact many anti vax people who are also staunch ERF - EH people.

I don't think the risk of death/serious injury by motor vehicles would be much different than the risk of negative side effects of vaccinations - if number of fatalities vs. total miles driven per year could be accurately measured.

Working in special education, I have met families of children who "survived" serious illness/infection, complications from "minor" surgery, injuries, and near drownings. Almost all have a story of how things could have turned out differently "if only."

I agree the decision is an individual one and should not be made lightly.

:twocents: Personally, I would hate to have a child injured or disabled because I chose NOT to do something that would have prevented it.

For me, the risk of significant side effects is less than the risk of complications from the disease (with the exception of the Chicken Pox).

The same concept encourages me to buckle up and help insure others are safely restrained in order to PREVENT possible injury. Because the "odds" are, nothing bad will happen. (Consider how many people are alive and well after having ridden thousands of miles unrestrained.) But, just because many people survived doesn't mean we can't do a better job of protection and prevention now. [Smoke detectors, weather radar - weather warnings also come to mind.]

UlrikeDG

So with any of the things like rubella, measals, hep...are they curable once you contract them??? Sorry if I sound totally clueless.

Many of us are totally clueless about this (and other parenting topics!) until or unless we make a deliberate effort to do the research. Many diseases for which we vaccinate are only really an issue for certain "at risk" groups. For example, rubella is milder than the common cold unless your a fetus (fever under 100F, mild runny nose, and rash that doesn't itch or anything), and mumps are painful, but pubescent boys are at the biggest risk for serious complications (specifically, infertility), and chicken pox tend to get nastier the older you get.

If you don't have a religious of philosophical objection to the very idea of vaccines, it's best to research each vaccine and disease individually. If your child is in an at-risk group, you may make a different decision from a parent whose child is not. Some parents have religious objections only to certain vaccines which are made using human fetal cells that were obtained via abortion. Other parents don't mind if their young child gets chicken pox, rubella, mumps, etc, but as the child approaches puberty, the risk shifts.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just wanted to add to my previous post cause I thought of something else when I read another post. The reason that I looked into delaying and eventually stopping vaxing was when the chicken pox vaccine came out. We went to the health dept to get shots because we don't have insurance so I was talking to the nurse there and she was going on about how they had to have it because apparently chicken pox is now life threatening. I told her that when I was younger everyone had chicken pox and that was the way it was and people didn't die then so what's the big deal. She said the reason they implemented the chicken pox vaccine as mandatory was because of low income people getting it and letting it get so bad and not seeking medical treatment and it was just easier to give a shot now instead of waiting and then having to treat in the hospital. Now, I'm sorry if this comes off mean or offends anyone, but I'm not going to put my kids at risk because of ignorant people who don't know enough to know when their kid is sick and to take them to the dr. This is along the same lines as the people that starved their baby, if you don't know any better then you shouldn't be breeding. And no that was not a bash at poor people, it was putting down stupid people.:rolleyes:

The chicken pox vaccine is kind of a funny story - at least the reason why it was added to the childhood schedule... The vaccine was originally made to be used in settings with immuno-compromised kids - I believe it was leukemia patients if I remember correctly. Anyways, the manufacturer basically told the powers that be that it wasn't possible for them to recover their costs with such a small demand for the vaccine, and that if they wanted to continue to have the vaccine available, it would have to have an increased demand. Enter stage left the ACIP adding the c-pox vaccine to the routine childhood schedule.

On an additional note - the clinical trials regarding efficacy and long term immunogenity won't be completed until the year 2010. Which explains why all the sudden a booster dose has been added to the schedule - it's still a new vaccine, they've realized that kids are getting the pox despite being vaccinated, so now you have to have a booster.

A few people have mentioned that in the past people got these diseases and it wasn't that big of a deal for most people, and now they're fine. That's true obviously, but isn't using that argument to say vaccines aren't necessary kind of the same as saying that seatbelts and car seats aren't necessary because in the past people didn't use them and for most of them it was no big deal and they survived? To me, the situation seems pretty much the same, in both cases, most people didn't die from the risk they endured in the past, but some people did, they're just not around to tell you about it. I'd like to hear what people think of that.

Well, this one is a pretty easy one actually. ;) Back in the 50's car travel wasn't what it is today - people didn't travel as often and as great of a distance. Cars are better now and so people drive faster. Also not as many people owned cars back then. In addition, we have a much better road infrastructure now, so with the increased number of drivers/passengers, increased distance and higher speeds, there is a difference in passenger safety between then and now. And truth be told, I'm sure dying in a car accident prior to seatbelts and things was just seen as unavoidable. People would've been seriously injured and died, but what could you do about it?

Vaccine preventable diseases on the other hand are now less life threatening in the sense that medical technology has improved and more people have ready access to medical treatment. The diseases themselves haven't changed for the most part. But medicine has changed - so in the event that you got measles for example, and happened to have a complication, you'd be less likely to suffer permanent consequences.

Also, about the HepB vaccine, I agree that most kids don't need it so young, but I understand the reason they do it like that. Many women may not know they have HepB or may not test positive yet, and they could transmit it to their baby without knowing they have it.

Hep B is part of the routine prenatal testing. Just for the sake of what-if mom didn't get prenatal testing and is in a high risk group, Hep B is rarely a fatal disease. Most people who get hep B clear it from their systems and develop immunity to it. Hep B is also a vaccine known to have safety issues. The vaccine itself can cause liver failure. I know a mom on another board who had her newborn daughter die 24hrs after coming home from the hospital due to liver failure. The VICP has ruled in her favor that the vaccine caused her death, so this isn't a coincidental occurence. It's not easy to get the panel to admit that a vaccine was the direct cause of someone's death. Hep B vaccination in young people has been linked to numerous autoimmune disorders. There's currently a case where a nurse developed MS as a result of the Hep B vax she received. Not sure what kind of settlement she received as I don't remember if it was settled or still in the settlement process when I read the story..

Also, in many cases, infancy and toddlerhood is when children have the best access to medical care. If they are not given the vaccine then, they may not ever get it in the future. I think most parents who take the time to research the risks/benefits of vaccines would make sure their children have healthcare later in life, but it is for those who don't that they put the shots on the schedule early. A big reason why the CDC puts so many shots on their schedule is not if they're not on the schedule, insurance won't pay for them, and kids who need them may not be able to get them.

This is true that babies and young children have the best access to medical care. And if not given it then, they may not get it in the future. So they vaccinate babies because they're a captive audience. And there's always the question about babies not being able to talk and say something hurts.. and parents are bound to notice more of a reaction in an older child who they've gotten to know better.

The ACIP is the board the makes recommendations for what vaccines should be on the childhood schedule. It's individual states themselves which have to mandate a vaccine in order for the vaccines for children fund to cover them. Private insurance typically covers a vaccine whether it's on the mandatory schedule or not.

Also, I really hate the argument that IV drug users, prostitutes, etc are the main risk for things like HepB and HPV. Yes, they do have higher risk, but the risk is still there for people who don't do these things. It only takes one time!

Well, you're right. It only takes one time. However - HPV and Hep B are in and of themselves not life threatening illnesses in the majority of people. And HPV infection has absolutely nothing to do with lifestyle or risk status. If you've been sexually intimate with someone, you may have it. The fact is, that most people who get HPV clear it from their system without any problems. Cervical cancer has decreased exponentially since the 70's mainly because of routine pap smears. The majority of women who die from cervical cancer have not had routine pap smears so that their cancer was not caught at a stage when it was early enough to treat.

Also, does anyone have a reliable source that shows where doctors get kickbacks for giving immunizations? From my understanding, vaxes are pretty low on the profit scale, and compaines aren't that fond of making them. That is why the gov't offers them the VAERS system instead of letting individual compaines get sued. I know the pharm companies give lots of stuff to drs, but direct kickbacks for vaxes, I am not aware of.

Some dr.'s groups and insurance companies give dr.'s bonuses based on if a certain percentage of their patients are up to date on their vaccines. As for the profit factor - the HPV vaccine is worth millions of dollars in revenue to Merck annually. Honestly, as altruistic as the vaccine manufacturers try to sound, if they didn't make money doing it, they wouldn't. And vaccine research is really a very large field with even a number of smaller labs working on developing new vaccines.

Our youngest had a rather severe reaction to his last set of shots (NON stop screaming, fever of 105, febrile seizure) and is due to receive his 12mos vaccinations next month. I'm VERY nervoius about bringing him in and am not sure which route to take at this point b/c of the wealth of information supporting BOTH sides of the arguement, it gets to be a bit much to take in :confused: I'm leaning much more to the non vaxing side but would love to have more info to back up my questions and wonderings... This is a topic i began to reaseach after my 4yr old was born in 2003 but gave in to pressure from multiple MD's

Is there a single Rubella vaccination that is available? There ARE a couple of vaccines that i see as beneficial but am not sure as to how to go about researching which ones to get and/or avoid...
can anyone provide more information or resources? I would appreciate it greatly!
I have come across this site but am curious as to which ones you have seen
http://thinktwice.com/

Thank you so much!

The main reason for waiting until at least 2yrs old is because the blood/brain barrier is less permeable as a child gets older. 2 yrs old was thought to be when it closed at one time, now they're not sure if it's more like 5 or 6 or if it ever totally closes. However, a 2yr old's body is better able to process toxins and is able to communicate side effects to a certain extent.

Yes, there is a single rubella vaccination available. Maybe someone else can find the link? There are also single measles and single mumps vaccines available - although many dr.'s will tell you there aren't. If you wanted to go that route, you'd likely have to order the dose and bring it in to the office yourself.

As for your ds's reaction, I can only beg you to not give him another DTaP at the very least. The non-stop screaming is because of brain inflammation. Typically each reaction to a DTaP vaccine is worse the more doses given. This is the vaccine my daugter reacted strongly too, and what caused us to change from delaying/selectively vaxing to not vaccinating at all. Your ds's reaction to that shot is a contraindication to receiving anymore of that series and he should be able to get a medical exemption.

Did his dr. report his reaction the VAERS? If not, and if the dr. office isn't willing to report it, then you can report it yourself. Just get the lot # and where it was administered from the dr. and you can file it yourself. Dr.'s are legally required to report even suspected reactions, however it's more common for dr.'s to not report.

~~~~~~

Gotta run and pay attention to my kiddos. This is the kind of topic I get easily sucked into because I've been on both sides of the fence and because I've been through a severe reaction with my dd.

The biggest piece of advice I have for everyone reading this thread, is to follow your mommy or daddy instincts. If a voice inside your head is telling you not to vaccinate, listen and research and don't vaccinate until that little voice tells you it's ok.

I've come to the decision that if I had to choose, I'd rather my kids die from a vaccine preventable disease than die or be permanently disabled from a vaccine that I chose to put in their bodies. I'd feel guilty with either outcome, but I'd feel less guilty knowing that I didn't consent to what caused their death. :twocents:

twokidstwodogs

II told her that when I was younger everyone had chicken pox and that was the way it was and people didn't die then so what's the big deal.

It's not a big deal for normal, healthy children, but of course, not everyone is a normal, healthy child. And people *do* die from chicken pox, though certainly not very often. People who are immunocompromised are at much higher risk from these diseases. Take a look at this eMedicine article on mortality and morbidity from varicella. Note the death rates from varicella in immunocompromised children - 7-28%!

Mortality/Morbidity: In immunocompromised children, such as those with leukemia, mortality rates from varicella have ranged from 7-28%. The case fatality rate in the general population is 6.7/100,000.

* Morbidity is due to overwhelming viremia, encephalitis, bacterial superinfection, pneumonia, and Reye syndrome (which is associated with aspirin use). Common complications include secondary staphylococcal or streptococcal infections of the skin and upper respiratory tract, including otitis media. Central nervous system complications include aseptic meningitis and Guillain-Barré syndrome. Other complications include thrombocytopenia, arthritis, hepatitis, and glomerulonephritis.

* In pregnant women, varicella during the first 20 weeks of gestation can lead to multiple congenital anomalies including limb atrophy, neurologic and ocular abnormalities, as well as growth retardation.

* Infants born to women who have varicella 5 days or fewer before delivery or 2 days postpartum may develop disseminated varicella neonatorum. Hemorrhagic lesions of the liver and lungs characterize this potentially fatal disease.

UlrikeDG

I heard it was just so working mothers wouldn't have to take a couple weeks off of work.... anything that gets everyone in the entire country to work a full 50 weeks a year with no paid time off, eh?

This is certainly how it was marketed at first. It wasn't until parents expressed their outrage at this ad campaign that the commercials depicting CP as "life threatening" came out.

twokidstwodogs

Right now I'm in a fight with the state. I recently adopted a dog and it has become apparent that she is allergic to her shots. Luckily nothing fatal, just week long bouts of vomiting and diarrhea so far. But each time the reaction gets worse (she's had two rounds so far). All evidence out there points to her reactions getting worse each time until finally the shots are fatal to her. And she's required to get shots at least once a year! That's a death sentence! The state says she has to get double annual check-ups with a vet and if she shows signs of any disease then she has to be put down immediately. Umm, why, because she'll be a threat to every other dog in town? Oh WAIT, aren't all of those dogs vaccinated INCLUDING my own other dog, so shouldn't they be safe? I'm not talking rabies, I'm talking any little case of dog flu and they want her killed. Needless to say, we're still in discussions.

That's weird. What state is that, if I can ask? My dogs do get rabies vaccinations per state law, and I vaccinated them against other diseases when they were younger, but now that they are senior citizens, I just get titers done on them for distemper and parvo. Thus far, they have always proved immune. The vet has to send the titers away to a central national lab, but it works well enough, and even our kennel accepts those as proof of immunity. Does your state not accept titers?

UlrikeDG

Delaying the first two years just gives your baby's own immune system a chance to get strong on its own before bombarding it with vax.

About 10 years ago, my mom caught a news report about a study from Japan(?) which showed that the risk of SIDS went down to virtually nil when vaccines were delayed 'til age 2. Unfortunately, my Google-fu has failed to turn up the abstract, so I can't give you any more than 3rd person hearsay on it. :eek:

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i asked my doctor about the chicken pox vacc and he said that 80 children die every year from the disease...

quite frankly i would rather take that chance than the chance that the vacc wear off, and she not get a booster and end up with CP when shes an adult (much higher fatality rate) or even worse, when shes pregnant.

i have decided not to let her have the CP vaccine, however, she is on a regular schedule for all the others

mominabigtruck

This is certainly how it was marketed at first. It wasn't until parents expressed their outrage at this ad campaign that the commercials depicting CP as "life threatening" came out.

I can't imagine why people would be upset that the govt was saying that it was completely alright to take a little risk with their kids lives as long as they didn't miss work:rolleyes:

musicmaj

I was talking with a friend the other day, and we both found it odd ( and WAY too coincidental) that both of our children's severe food allergies were diagnosed within a couple weeks of receiving the MMR vaccine.

Out of ALL the vaccines...that one makes me the most nervous!.....
It is supposed to help build your immune system, yet somehow it weakens it!

My youngest has had no vaccines and he has some pretty bad food allergies. I was hoping he would have less allergies than my other two simply because he wasn't immunized. Either way, I am glad he is not immunized as it could have made him worse.

My second child has autism. He had some symptoms of autism from birth - mainly poor eye contact, but he was saying some words before 12 months old. After twelve months he lost all his speech, gestures, and started to have some very strange behavior that we now know was the autism. He got an mmr vaccine at 12 months. I don't think it is just a coincidence. I think he was already "prone" to autism and that the vaccines made it worse.

My oldest is fully vaccinated right now.

lynsgirl

I too, found great irony in the fact many anti vax people who are also staunch ERF - EH people.

I'm curious why this would be ironic to you. :confused:

I didn't (unfortunately) start out as an ERF/EH, but as I learned more and researched more, that's what happened. The same thing happened for our family with regard to the vaccination issue. The more I researched and read - on both sides of the issue - the more information I had to base my decision on. For us, based on medical issues, family history and certain religious objections, we've decided against vaccinating from now on.

FTR, most people who choose to not vaccinate do not do so lightly. Every person I know IRL (and I would say most that I know online) who has made this choice has done so after much research, internal and sometimes verbal debate, etc. Most are very informed about the pros/cons, risks/benefits on both sides of the fence and have chosen their path. I'm not saying all parents who choose to vaccinate are doing so ignorantly or lightly. Not at all. However, there are definitely those who do not research the issue at all and just go with the flow. I was one of them with my first two children!

Ironic? Not to me and not to most other anti-vax parents. :twocents:

UlrikeDG

I think that one's own experiences have a great deal to do with how one perceives the disease. My parents have vivid recollections of the fear associated with the polio epidemics of their childhood. One of my dad's school friends died of polio. Because I've heard those stories, and because one of my own childhood friend's mothers had a polio-related limp, the fear of polio resonates with me.

This is normal human psychology. Personal experiences resonate with us, because for so very long they were critical to our survival (my neighbor got sick when she ate that berry, better avoid that berry!). One of my childhood friends' mothers had a polio-related limp, but she caught polio from the vaccine. Same "situation", different conclusion. ;)

That's why, for me, it's so important to have good scientific data, and why it's so incredibly frustrating when I have reason to believe that some of the data being "fed" to me is less than accurate.

Morganthe

Statistics show that these diseases were already on the "out" when the vaccines were introduced.

One of the previous posters (Splash?) commented to stop fearing the vaccine, and to research the disease itself, and this is exactly the route I'd take. Your dd is scheduled for 5 injections for *10* diseases.

MMR: Measles, Mumps & Rubella. In our parents & g-parents day, people threw parties to encourage their kids to get these. In healthy people, they are along the lines of Chicken Pox.
Varicella booster: Chicken Pox. We adults should all remember having this... while I remember my course as being fun (Mom home for a week, TV, ice cream), others don't. But regardless, in a healthy person, it is not life threatening.
IPV: Inactivated Polio Vaccine. The cute little handouts that my kids pediatrician gives out on vaccines says "Since the 70's, there have been no known cases of polio in the US except those caused by OPV (oral polio vaccine.) Your child cannot contact polio through IPV. Well. If there haven't been any cases in the US for that many years, wtf are we worried about? I'm not knocking the people who have family who were effected by this, because I know there are people on this board who have lost family members to polio. But my g-pa had polio and is still alive and well. Paralytic polio is not very common.
DTaP. Diptheria, Tetanus & Pertussis. No known cases of diptheria in quite some time. Tetanus, yes, this one scares me. But majority of the time, a wound that will introduce tetanus into the body will also bleed, which will wash the tetanus spores away. Additionally, there are immuno-globins that could be had at the ER after injury, if truly necessary. Pertussis: whooping cough. Again, in a healthy person, not that big of a deal.

.... - you have plenty of time to research the vaccines - and even pick and choose.

Don't let your ped worry you, either. Stand your ground.

I agree with the idea to research research research. But PLEASE consider your sources and their intent to persuade & convince. There's already a lot of misinformation being spread by statistics that have only looked at a very short period of time.

For instance-- Polio. Sure, there was a downturn in the late 1960s. But HISTORICALLY -- Deadly Polio epidemics have appeared in worldwide accounts since the 1500s. Probably it appeared earlier, but the written description is too vague to pin it down. Polio has a reputation of showing up suddenly and then vanishing without a trace. In a way, it's similar to the Ebola virus in that manner. A really excellent, if oddly written book on the topic is:

Elegy for a disease: A personal and cultural history of Polio by Anne Finger. She likely 'caught' the disease from her sister & mother who had the milder stomach version of it when she was 3 years old. Her symptoms were the vicious killing strain and it's affected her life ever since. She discusses attitudes and history of the different accounts of Polio interspersed with recollections. I'm in the middle of reading it, but it is very fascinating to learn how far back Polio has been with us.
I have the utmost respect for its resiliancy and if we become complacent, like Tuberculosis, it will reappear with its full force someday when we are least expecting it. It won't affect the adults as much, but will attack our children and elderly.

Yes, I have been influenced by my parents and grandmother's accounts of the long drawn out months of Augusts & September of their younger days. So many diseases were lurking in those hot days. My grandmother's older sisters died of diptheria in mid-September within one day of one another. My mom remembers friends dying of measles, polio, and other diseases that are now vaccinated against. As a child, I personally knew other children who had completely lost their hearing due to mumps, or measles, or rubella because my elder brother is deaf and I was involved in that world for a long time. They're now 'only in their early 40s- early 50s, so it's not that very long ago relatively speaking.

The idea that members of the generations before ours had "sick parties" for Measles, Mumps, & Rubella is absolutely insane! These diseases were more feared than they are today. There would always be a child who would have a symptom that could kill or maim him forever. Would you want to take a chance that yours was the 1 in 1000? Perhaps there were parents who did, but they're probably the same type of parents who would refuse to put their kids in a proper safety seat today because 'nothing wrong will happen'. There have always been and will always be -- stupid people. Don't jump off that cliff because there are others just going along.

Sure, in a healthy person -- symptoms are mild. But the same goes for vaccination -- in a healthy child -- reactions are mild. There are so many exceptions to the rule of "Healthy person", that the risks from the vaccination AND the disease need to be considered. But having a party to deliberately expose your child to something with possible repercussions of sterility, deafness, or mental retardation is completely reprehensible!

As I and others on here have said -- research, research, research. Check out your sources to ensure that they're only there to inform, not to inflame or persuade you to agree with their platform. After all, the individuals who write scientific journals or anti-vaccination sites, would not be there to care if your sick child came down with a serious preventable illness or a vaccination reaction.

good luck. It's not easy being a parent :)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC