Need a new seat

Amanda&3boys

Hi I am a long time reader and first time poster. I bought a Radian65 for my 3 your old after lots of research here. I am in the market for a new convertible for my 14 months son. He is currantly RF in a RA but he is about to outgrow it by height. I want a seat that will keep him RF for as long as possible. Cost isn't much of an issue when it comes to their safety. Now for his stats, he is about 24lbs, 30.25inches and 12 inch torso. I drive a 2007 Toyota Camry.What seats would be recommended?
I have another question regarding my older DS, his harness is at the top slot of his Radian. There is about 2.5 inches of room for him to grow. His torso is 14.50 inches and he weighs about 34lbs. How much time do you think that he has left in his Radian? (Sorry for any spelling errors, my computer keeps blocking the spell check)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For your younger child:
$40 Cosco Scenera (Target/Walmart)
35 pounds RFing, 40 pounds FFing, 14.5" top slots
Outgrown quickly FFing, but seat is fabulous RFing and the price is not so high as to be prohibitive even for just RFing.
Seat weighs nine pounds and is narrow, good for travel or spare seat as well as daily seat.

$90 Safety 1st Uptown (Walmart, but call to see if they have it in stock)
35 pounds RFing, 40 pounds FFing, 15.5" top slots (or thereabout)
Similar to the Scenera with more padding

$130-$150 Evenflo Triumph Advance (Babies R Us/Target)
35 pounds RFing, 50 pounds FFing, 17" top slots

$130-$180 Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe (online only)
33 pounds RFing, 55 pounds FFing, 17" top slots, made by Britax and based on the Marathon shell

$180/$280 Sunshine Kids Radian 65/80 (online only)
33 pounds RFing, 65/80 pounds FFing, 18" top slots, Sunshine Kids allows the shoulders to go one inch over the top slots
Seat folds for easy travel, requires the use of a removable RFing foot for RFing installations.

$220-$300 Britax Marathon/Decathalon/Boulevard
33 pounds RFing, 65 pounds FFing, 17" top slots.
Marathon is the base model
Decathalon has infant padding, a different LATCH system, a push button harness release, and a toddler pillow
Boulevard has infant padding, an adjustable headrest with movable harness and headwings

$250/$290 Recaro Como/Signo
35 pounds RFing, 70 pounds FFing, 19" top slots
Como is base model
Signo has adjustable headrest with movable harness, to be released late Oct. 2007

$400 Britax Advocate
35 pounds RFing, 65 pounds FFing, 17" top slots.
A Boulevard with Seat Logix technology to show if the seat is correctly installed. Brand new seat, is not very common yet.

As for your older son, 2.5" of torso growth is probably 5"-8" overall, so you can take a glance out on his growth curve to see where that will likely take you. However, proportions can change. Piper was very long torsoed for the longest time, but now her legs are taking over the growing. So she's lasting longer in her seat than I anticipated.

Wendy

Amanda&3boys

I think my oldest Ds torso is catching up with his legs, he used to be all legs. So I will hope for the best, that he can stay in his Radian until at least 5 or 6. I might buy a Cosco Scenera until the Recaro Signo comes out. I am just leery about the head wings. Does anyone have a Radian installed RF in a Camry? I would like to buy another one but I am concerned if it will fit RF. I guess that I will try it out with DS1 seat. Thank you for you help

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC