Need a Car Seat Recommendation Please :)

Babsiegirl9

Hello,

We are looking to switch our 9 month (20lbs, 28inches) from his Graco Snugride 30 to a convertible car seat. I would love your help picking out a car seat please!

Pertinent information:
  • He hates his car seat (one of the reasons we're looking for a new one)
  • We want to rear face at least 40lb
  • We drive a Toyota Yaris 2009 4 door - it's practically impossible to get a secure installation in the middle seat, so car seat needs to go on the side, but our car doesn't allow bracing due to advanced air bags. This means car seat needs to not be huge!
  • We tried a Diono, and it fit only with an angle adjuster and the front seat moved waaay forward....which made me car sick as a passenger, and I'm only 5'3""
  • As mentioned, center installation doesn't work...can't borrow latches and for some reason you just can't get a tight installation with the seat belt (I had an expert car seat person try...would anyone else know how to fix this?)

We have a high price range so any recommendations are valid.

Thank you for your help!!

ADS

rosey2007

You might try the Evenflo Triumph Advance 65. I drive a small car and it fits well in there. If you have a babys r us near you they will let you try the seat out in your car before buying it. Good luck to you

Phineasmama

BabiesRus and BuyBuyBaby will let you try seats in your car.

A convertible seat in general will take up less room than your infant seat- except for maybe the Radian which is pretty tall :)

If you are low on front to back space, you might want to try out an Evenflo convertible like the Triumph or Momentum, the Britax convertibles, the Peg Perego convertible.

Babsiegirl9

I'll definitely look into the Evenflos. Regarding the Britax, that's one of our top choices, but I heard that kids can outgrow the height in those quicker and DS is 75% for height. Still worth considering?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I bet kiddo is happier in the convertible. I have found that to happen a lot. I don't own a new Britax, since they don't last as long.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
If you have a tall child, the Britax may not get you to your rear facing goals. The True Fit fits in a Yaris and is great for tall kids. It only rear faces to 35 lbs but it is ideal for tall, skinny kids. I have never seen a 40 lb child that was even close to fitting rear facing in a Britax convertible by height.

LifeAtHome

:yeahthatlove: Agree on the TrueFit. I love that seat. My dd is about average size in height and weight and she fit Rf in it till she turned 4. She still had/has 3 or 4 inches of height room left but she weighs 35lbs now. At 39" tall she has already outgrown most 40lb rf seats by height. Your DS would probably outgrow it sooner than her but I bet you would make it to 3 anyway. If you think you will need the higher weight limit you could look at the Graco size4me, And see if that will fit, I believe it's taller than most. Since you're not worried about budget the Clek Foonf is very tall, has a 50lb(!) Rf limit, and looks like it isn't too big front to back. (Although it might actually be too tall to fit a Yaris? Wonder if anyone knows yet.)

Last edited:

Babsiegirl9

Weight is something I'm concerned about since at 9 months he's 20 lbs. I checked out the Foonf...beautiful and appealing, but oh my word is it expensive. I retract my "high budget" if that's on the table :)

I looked at the Graco Size4me and it seemed a little too bulky...my son hates being confined in general so I don't thing the Graco would work. That's actually one of the reasons we're getting a convertible...hoping that it will be a little freeing for him (which is why I was so bummed the Diono didn't work since it was so non-confining).

I really do appreciate all of the recommendations!:D

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Most kids slow down dramatically with weight gain when they start walking. My kiddo sure did.

I think the Foonf is a fabulous seat but it has a hard 43" rear facing height limit.

LifeAtHome

Peg Perego Primo Viaggio? Looks a bit shorter than the Radian or Truefit, but it has a 45# weight limit. FWIW I looked at the growth chart and a 75th percentile boy would be about 34# & 38" at 3 years old. Do you have an age goal for rear facing?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC