My MA review

Jordynsmama

So...I am not too happy with the crotch strap. I swear when I tried Madisyn(my biggest twin) in it in the stores it seemed fine and long enough. Maybe b/c it wasnt installed IDK. I do not get why they make them so short. Whats the reason? Then the buckles are so wide and they force her to have to sit with her legs wide open. For this reason-dont hate me-I seriously wish I had kept the MR. I didnt like the fabric, or the cover coming off, or the istall actually or the latch connectors but the crotch strap fit her so much better and it looked for comfy for her.
The Flex Loc strap fit her better (in the long position) which I didnt know existed till about 2 months ago. It made the buckle come up past her thighs so nothing rested on them. She could close her legs. With the MA its like its right between thm and then once you buckle in the straps the black things dig in. And the belly pad helps with the comfort but it still forces her legs to spread apart. I can not imagine when she is older unless she gets really skinny. I mean I remember Jordyns CS fitting her great in the crotch and she was so chunky.
Then in the RA 50, yeah there are 3 positions but its shorter!! So it makes no diff. And he also has his legs wide open. And the third position u cannot use rf'ing either.
And Kingston slouches a lot in the seat too. IDK.
Too late now I am keeping them but honestly I wish I woulda got 2 MR's.
I would say unless you have super thin kids with tiny thighs, and if it bothers you to have a tight fitting crotch strap dont get these seats. They are gorgeous and well made seats with the best install ever but that part just really messes it up.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Flex Loc strap fit her better (in the long position) which I didnt know existed till about 2 months ago. It made the buckle come up past her thighs so nothing rested on them.

Britax crotch straps are short so that the lap belts stay on the thighs and not up on the tummies. Belts SHOULD rest on thighs!

Jordynsmama

Britax crotch straps are short so that the lap belts stay on the thighs and not up on the tummies. Belts SHOULD rest on thighs!

Okay so its a safety issue then I guess its fine but they could be just a tad longer and the stupid black things could be more narrow so they dont dig in-thats really the issue.

Maedze

I remember feeling similarly odd when I moved Bean the First from his Graco Snugride to his Wizard many moons ago. Convertibles just fit differently, and it takes a while to get used to the look.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Conversely, I brought my third home in a convertible. When I put her in the SnugRide in Grandma's car at a few weeks old (it was our backup for her) I freaked out at how it fit! I kept thinking, "That buckle all the way up her belly can NOT be safe..."

J-max

CPST Instructor
Is the LATCH strap or seat belt on the correct side of the buckle? I know it is really easy to put it on the wrong side and it shortens the buckle considerable. The belt or LATCH webbing should not be between the buckle webbing and the carseat, it should be between the buckle webbing and the back of the vehicle seat (clear as mud, LOL). The buckle does sit lower than a bucket, but should not be down between their thighs.

Jordynsmama

Is the LATCH strap or seat belt on the correct side of the buckle? I know it is really easy to put it on the wrong side and it shortens the buckle considerable. The belt or LATCH webbing should not be between the buckle webbing and the carseat, it should be between the buckle webbing and the back of the vehicle seat (clear as mud, LOL). The buckle does sit lower than a bucket, but should not be down between their thighs.
Well in the pic to the right of your siggy-I think they are in N's? Anyway see how the buckle is up on your dd, well its not like that at all with miy kids. If it was like that it would be so much more comfortable and easier to buckle. I have to pull the buckle from under Madisyn and if I have to do that now how will it ne in 6 mos?
Then these twins that go to the preschool I work at are 2.5 and very big-tall and chubby and they are still in RA'S??? How?
I will check the latch straps to make sure they arent shortening the strap.

simplychels

Im just posting to show you the buckle on my MA (in sig), because I dont find it short at all. I always ensure DD scoots her butt right to the back of her seat and have plenty of room to spare in terms of buckle space.

edit, oh crap her hand blocks it, i'll see if I can find another picture that shows it more clearly
GetAttachment.aspx

Jordynsmama

I guess I dont like the way the buckle sits right between their thighs. I would prefer it to come up like the MR and Nautilis buckles do-look at siggys and you'll see. When my older dd had a comfortsport it came up higher. Guess its a graco thing huh?
But I was messing with my seats earlier and looking at them closer and they arent that horrible-I mean I can buckle them and it isnt skin tight-its just shorter than I like it. I just dont think they will make it very far in them.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Can you post a pic of them in the seats?

Hope was in a MA right up to 65# and it wasn't until just before I moved her out of it that we started having issues with the crotch strap being too low.

U

Unregistered

I understand what you are talking about completely! I have a 13 month old with the chunky thighs as well and have the same issue with the hand-me-down RoundAbout my SIL gave me. I hate this seat with a passion and I've only been using it about a week now! (Just moved DD out of her SS1) I am just glad mine expires in March 2010 - it gives me enough time to save for a new seat! Best of luck to you!

Maedze

I guess I dont like the way the buckle sits right between their thighs. I would prefer it to come up like the MR and Nautilis buckles do-look at siggys and you'll see. When my older dd had a comfortsport it came up higher. Guess its a graco thing huh?
But I was messing with my seats earlier and looking at them closer and they arent that horrible-I mean I can buckle them and it isnt skin tight-its just shorter than I like it. I just dont think they will make it very far in them.

As their proportions change, the fit will change. They are not going to be chunky babies forever. When they start crawling, they slim out a bit, and by the time they are two you won't ever remember having complained.

While it may be a cosmetic issue to you, I really doubt it's a comfort issue to them. Also, from a technical perspective, I think the short crotch straps actually offer a safer harness fit.

jujumum

I'd love to see a pic, too. It sounds like the crotch strap is caught on the latch belt or not pulled all the way up. I have had BVs, MAs, RAs, and a DC and have never had an issue with the crotch strap being too short.

I just measured a spare MA crotch strap, and the distance from the metal bottom piece and the tounges (when buckled) is 4.25". The foam & cover might reduce the length when installed about 1", so that should leave about 3.25" of space for your dd's thighs before the touch the tounges. Is this how your's is, or is it shorter?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree with checking to see if the LATCH belt is interfering.

If you really don't like the seats, return them (if they haven't been used) or sell them (if they have been used) and get Gracos if you prefer the fit. Different brands of seats will fit differently. A low crotch strap/lap belt is not a safety issue at all, but again, if you don't like the way MAs fit, and you do like the way MRs fit, then get MRs.

You worry about your children not getting "very far" in the seats? Most kids outgrow the MAs (and probably the MRs as well) by height around 41"-45". Very few kids will make it to 65# in either seat. If you want convertibles that will last longer FFing, look at Radians and TrueFits.

Jordynsmama

I agree with checking to see if the LATCH belt is interfering.

If you really don't like the seats, return them (if they haven't been used) or sell them (if they have been used) and get Gracos if you prefer the fit. Different brands of seats will fit differently. A low crotch strap/lap belt is not a safety issue at all, but again, if you don't like the way MAs fit, and you do like the way MRs fit, then get MRs.

You worry about your children not getting "very far" in the seats? Most kids outgrow the MAs (and probably the MRs as well) by height around 41"-45". Very few kids will make it to 65# in either seat. If you want convertibles that will last longer FFing, look at Radians and TrueFits.
I dont really "worry" so to speak. They probably wont go to 4-5 like some kids. But thats fine b/c at 3 or so Ill just buy new ff'ing only seats that they'll use till 80 or so lbs. To be honest I was thinking they wouldnt make it to 2 yrs! But I am probably wrong.
I cant return them nor would I want to deal with it. Like I said its not like they dont fit-I just prefer them longer instead of sitting between their thighs. Also on the RA 50, the first position is really unusable. It leaves like 2 inches of but room. The middle position is less deep than the position of the MA. It comes out from under K. And like I said the 3rd you can only use ff'ing.
But anyhoo-I will deal with it, aside form that I love them and your right-probably they are not as uncomfortable as I am making it out to be and their thighs will thin out so thats that.:)
I have pics of her on comm chat-from a few days a go. I can get better ones. I had to work all day so havent had a chance to see if the latch is messing up the length. Ill check tomorrow.
Thanks everyone!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
FYI, the LATCH straps on the MA do not go through the seat at all, so there is no way that they could be interfering with the crotch buckle/strap. (This could be a possibility with the RA50, of course.) :twocents:

wyomommyx3

I know everybody is different, and different seats fit different kids, but....

Going from a 3 in 1 and a Graco, I HATED the MA the first week that I had it... now I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world. In fact, at the moment, I have a MA, RA 50, DC and a FN in my car :p

My DS will be 6 in a couple weeks, and he still (barely) fits in the MA. I wouldn't put him in it, and much prefer how he fits in the FN, but he could use it in an emergency. Very comfortably, I have a 20-lb 9 month old, a 17-lb 7 month old, a 24-lb 8 month old, two 3 1/2 year olds and a 2 year old that all use the seats off and on. I haven't had a problem with thighs or tummies at all.

Give them a bit of time, and then if you still have issues with them head over to swap :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC