Question Most Comfy Combo seats?

TheFamVanGurp

Calling all mamas of kids in combo (harness to booster) seats!
I need recommendations on which brands/models are the plushest, most comfortable seats on the market. We travel on long (2000+) miles road trips and can be in the car 9+ hours at a time. Comfort is very important!
Any idea on how to make my kiddos safe AND comfy on our trips?

DD is 7.5, 46" and 48 lbs. (I'm not sure if we are ready to commit to a full time booster)
DS is 4.5, 42" and 44 lbs.
I was wanting a combo seat so that we have the option to harness DD on longer trips, and possibly booster her on shorter trips. We have a Graco Nauti for DD now, and were looking for something a little more padded for those long trips.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Couple of Frontiers would be divine :). Very deep seats (some kids can criss cross applesauce in there), nice recline, good headwings, lots of harness height, several crotch strap positions for comfort, and good cupholders. :)
Now your biggest decision is to go with the standard old FR85's or wait for the improved (way easier install, like, a shockingly easy new way to install seats, just clamp the seatbelt in under the seat, voila) 90 to come out...

Welcome to the board, by the way! :)

nannykates

Frontier. You want a frontier, its wide enough to cross legs, its deep for leg support, it has a very tall harness, good headwings for sleeping, 2 sturdy cup holders. Really it sounds like the only quea tion for your situation is do you want the fr85 now or to wait for the fr90!

Ok really there are other choices but I think the frontier is really nice for things like your situation.

Eta-cross posted!

TheFamVanGurp

I was leaning towards the Frontier as well. When does the 90 come out? We probably can wait a bit. I just washed the cover of her Nauti, so it doesn't appear to be as bad as I previously thought. However, it still needs to be replaced.

My hubby is partial (that's putting it lightly) to the Recargo. I am trying to figure out ways to show him that it isn't necessarily the seat for us. I have been looking at the measurements and it has really low harness and booster belt guides.

Can you guys give me some other feedback to give him to sway him from the Recaro??

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh yeah, so many hubbies like the Recaros... (And they are lovely, I've had four of their boosters and been thrilled with the quality)... but I don't think the ProSport is really right for you guys, maybe for the 4 yo, but it just doesn't have the room or staying power you need, in terms of top slots and booster height. Hmmm... lemme see if I can find it in the measurements section and post back.

edit, ok, found it...wow, the top booster guide is an inch shorter than the harness guide on the FR... http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=151106
(And I'm a love-boosters-for-long-trips mama, http://carseatblog.com/5671/too-old-for-a-booster-says-who/ There's my son in his Frontier, the first time we went somewhere without it, he was SO uncomfortable with nowhere to rest his head!)

TheFamVanGurp

Yeah ~ The Recaro shows top harness height at 18 and booster belt guide at 19
whereas the Frontier shows top harness height at 19.5 and booster belt guide at 23.5.
DD is at the second to top slot on her Nauti for harnessing, and the head rest has one more slot as well. I just think the Recaro would be grown out of for her so quickly. And DS isn't that much smaller than her.

nannykates

Well the britax is really a longer lasting seat than the recaro. height is how most kids outgrow these two seats in particular. The secure gaurd accessory can be helpful for some booster kids too.

You probably could do a recaro for ds but then he has to learn about two seats...and what if ds likes dd seat better?

1" or harness height is about 1 year for most kids.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Frontier also has deeper leg support than the ProSport. Leg support is a big factor in comfort especially as kids get bigger!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC