Mazda 3 vs. Mazda 5

Ali

I currently have a 2010 Mazda 3. DH just got a 2013 Mazda CX-5.

I hate, hate, hate the backseat of his CX5. The middle seat is essentially useless. Thankfully it's his car, so his problem :cool: I have DDs Nautilus outboard as a booster and we just make sure we only have one additional person with us if we drive his car.

I can do 3 boosters across the back of my Mazda 3, but it's a PITA. I was looking at getting a Mazda 5. The dealer is willing to give us a great deal based on loyalty.

I drove DHs CX5 the other day and it doesn't have the zoom, zoom, zoom my Mazda 3 has. It kind of just has zoom. Has anyone driven all 3 and how does the Mazda 5 compare?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've driven the 3 and I own a 2012 5 (with stick shift). The 3 and 5 are definitely zoomy, ad getting three seats in there is easy. I had three in there yesterday. I moved Laine forward, Piper grabbed the spare booster and sat behind her.

Wendy

marge234

Care to update OP? We're considering a Mazda--5 or cx5--but haven't tested it (or anything) yet. A recent NYT review of a 2013 cx 5 was glowing--especially re mileage-- but noted that it was at the expense of its pick up. I have such a hard time making decisions about big purchases, and people I know are either in minivans or smaller cars.

A couple quotes from NYT review, in case anyone else is looking for info re CX-5:

"The 4-cylinder engine, which uses direct fuel injection, is rated at 155 horsepower and 150 pound feet of torque, and it struggles to move the all-wheel-drive CX-5’s 3,426 pounds. The engine strained coming out of a rest area to merge onto busy Interstate 91. Just before that, it couldn’t handle a long, gradual hill at 65 m.p.h. without the automatic’s shifting down from sixth to fifth gear with only a driver aboard.

In a Motor Trend test comparing the CX-5 with four classmates, it posted the slowest zero-to-60 time, at 9.4 seconds. But perhaps it is unrealistic to expect blazing acceleration from a 155-horsepower engine, especially when all automakers have to meet higher fuel economy figures. Say goodbye to the free lunch.

Ali

I drove DHs CX-5 today. I still like my 3 better. It is much more zoomy. DH disagrees though.

If I liked the colors of the 5 with black interior better then I'd get one. The colors of the 2012 5s are kind of blah IMO.

Is there a 2013 Mazda 5?

Ali

Since I drove DHs CX-5 today, he drove my car.

He just walked in the door and said, "OK, your car has more zoom!"

Hee hee :)

2BunniesMommy

I don't mean to derail, but a 2010 is in my top 4 list of what to replace my quickly dying van with.

I am wondering what seats you have been able to get back there? I would be looking to have 2 Frontiers. Would they fit ok? Also, what is the space like between the back seat and front. Some leg room or do the kids end up right behind that front seats? They are the cutest of the cars on my list, so just trying to figure out if one would really be a good option here. We have 2 smalld dealerships in town, Ford and Toyota. Very hard to find any of my top 4 without a 90+ mile drive :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC