Major announcement on CBS Early Show on 3/21

Harmony96

I just got an email from Joel's Journey that there's going to be a major announcement tomorrow morning on the Early Show. Anyone know anything about that?

ADS

Evolily

We are sure this is an official guideline change, not another article, right? I can't find anything on it outside of the trib.

*crosses fingers*

christineka

I know the Today Show was asking for parents who had strong opinions on car seats and available to talk to reporters Friday and Saturday. They didn't contact me (I submitted my info), but I'm guessing they'll be reporting the new change as well.

tjham

I wish the article didn't flip flop between Rear facing info and booster use. It was kind of confusing to me and I knew what they were talking about!

turtlemama

My instructors in the course this past week mentioned something about NHTSA doing something to get this info out to the public better, Maybe this is it?
I really hope it is.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
The AAP has some of the new info up at their HealthyChildren.org web page.

Here's the new 2011 info, with the 2 year rear-facing recommendation explicitly stated (here's the 2010 version).

(I think it's great that they changed the age to 2 years and I honestly think that focusing on getting people to RF until 2 is more important than pushing an older age like 3 or 4 for the general public, but I still wish that they had just updated the age from 1 to 2 and otherwise kept the wording from the 2010 version. I know the 2010 version has the 1 year and 20 pound minimum, but the rest of the info is actually much more pro-ERF than the new version. :duck:)

ETA: Heh, they already took down the 2010 version after I just linked it a few minutes ago and the link now goes to the 2011 product info. In case anyone's interested in seeing a cached version of the 2010 info, here's a link to the Google Cache version. It's awesome that they've removed the old info so quickly, so that parents will just get the new 2 year old RF recommendation when going to the site!

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
(I think it's great that they changed the age to 2 years and I honestly think that focusing on getting people to RF until 2 is more important than pushing an older age like 3 or 4 for the general public, but I still wish that they had just updated the age from 1 to 2 and otherwise kept the wording from the 2010 version.

Unless they will discuss new data with the article that is being published in Pediatrics, there really is no data in North America to support a policy to keep kids rear-facing beyond 2 years. Theoretically, we know passengers of all ages would be safer rear-facing with appropriate seating, but statistically, it is impossible to say if the difference is significant as kids get older. Plus, even the one study we have from 4 years ago that supports the 2 year minimum had some flaws regarding sample sizes and such.

I hope this recommendation is based on good statistics! Even that won't silence the all the critics, but it will silence those that understand high quality research in peer-reviewed scientific/medical journals!

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Unless they will discuss new data with the article that is being published in Pediatrics, there really is no data in North America to support a policy to keep kids rear-facing beyond 2 years. Theoretically, we know passengers of all ages would be safer rear-facing with appropriate seating, but statistically, it is impossible to say if the difference is significant as kids get older. Plus, even the one study we have from 4 years ago that supports the 2 year minimum had some flaws regarding sample sizes and such.

I hope this recommendation is based on good statistics! Even that won't silence the all the critics, but it will silence those that understand high quality research in peer-reviewed scientific/medical journals!

I just personally preferred the old wording in the 2010 version. :shrug-shoulders: The new wording actually says that 2 year old+ children "should" be forward-facing, whereas the older wording focused more about rear-facing until the weight or height limits of their seats; I just kinda wish they had used the old version, while swapping out 2 years for 1 year, that's all I meant.

ETA: I didn't want to double post right in a row, so I just decide to add to this post that NHTSA has their new recommendations up. Their recommendation is to keep kids 1-3 years old rear-facing as long as possible! Pretty neat, IMO. They also recommend keeping kids 4-7 harnessed as long as possible, which I think is even more interesting than the RF stuff, because I haven't seen an official recommendation from anywhere before to harness as long as that.

Last edited:

Jennifer mom to my 7

I liked that the person on the today show said at LEAST 2, and not just age 2. THat was the person that was a spokesperson for the AAP and from baby center.

Is it wrong that I was wooting the TV?

Harmony96

Gah! They said that infants up to to 2 should be RF, but then turned right around w/ the next of their five recommendations and said that 2+ "should FF."

jess71903

Ambassador
Overall, I thought it was AWESOME!! That's as close as we've gotten to REALLY pushing ERF EVER! Joel's grandpa was amazing. I just wish they had zoomed out a little on Joel in his MT so you could see where he feet go.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC