Looking for an easy install, small convertible

agatha

We don't own a car but often rent cars for weekend trips or while travelling to visit family. I'm looking for a convertible that is 1) relatively easy to install in many different cars (since we rarely have a choice of make/model when we rent, only size) and 2) that doesn't measure too much front to back (both parents have long legs). We just switched our 11 month old from the Snugride22 to a RF Radian, and that sucker takes up so much space -- I had to sit in the front seat pushed all the way forward, definitely not comfortable for me, let alone my husband. The LATCH install was incredibly frustrating, and dealing with the RF boot just about pushed my husband over the edge.

We've used a Marathon in the past and liked it fine. Any other suggestions? Cost is not an issue.

ADS

featherhead

How big is your baby? Is his head to the top of the SR22?

For compact and ease of use I'd say check out the Marathon65. The shell is a bit shorter than the original Marathon, so depending on how long you want to rear-face, you may need another seat for that yet.

If you had said that cost is an issue, I'd say go for a Scenera, though that one isn't always an easy install.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How big is your baby? Is his head to the top of the SR22?

For compact and ease of use I'd say check out the Marathon65. The shell is a bit shorter than the original Marathon, so depending on how long you want to rear-face, you may need another seat for that yet.

If you had said that cost is an issue, I'd say go for a Scenera, though that one isn't always an easy install.

Scenera is actually a super easy seat though you may need some noodles to help with the angle depending on how you press on the seat when installing it. However, with price not being an issue, I'd typically go for a seat that has energy absorbing material of some sort.

I think Sears still carries the Avenue?

The only thing about the Britax seats is that if you'll ever have to carry it around, they're not a lightweight seat.

I'd check out the Graco MyRide.

Only thing about the My Ride is it's going to be extremely hard to find one in stock now. Somebody recently linked to the Canadian walmart website, and I think that's possibly the only place they're still available unless someone happens to find a superstore with some left. The new ones aren't finished testing yet, so it'll be at least a month to 2 months before they might show up...

snowbird25ca

I noticed Sears.ca had some on their site yesterday too. So maybe it's mostly brick and mortar stores that are sold out? Or maybe Sears is really postponing clearancing seats until the 11th hour to try and sell more at full price?

Pixelated

There was at least one MyRide in the Kamloops Sears that I was in the other day. It was on sale for $40 off, still not a great deal though.

equilibrium

I think some of the more expensive dept stores might be doing exactly that waiting and selling close to full price. Perhaps they just never really do get marked down in those stores though.

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

I think some of the more expensive dept stores might be doing exactly that-selling close to full price. Perhaps they just never really do get marked down in those stores though.

Well... I'd have to think that selling for just above cost is better than trashing seats? Which is better? $0 or $100? Not rocket science IMO... (sorry to hijack the thread slightly.)

equilibrium

Well... I'd have to think that selling for just above cost is better than trashing seats? Which is better? $0 or $100? Not rocket science IMO... (sorry to hijack the thread slightly.)

I'm not understanding how your comments relate to my comment Snowbird. I meant in terms of having stock on hand and not marking down as to not run out of seats. And also that the dept stores that I see don't usually slash prices down anyhow and I don't see them doing it just to get rid of them before new stock comes in.Ie/ Don't see it as a big deal to get rid of their stock. Perhaps it's not a large stock they carry (in the back). I'm thinking of Sears, and like stores.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC