Question Looking for Advice on buying 1st car seat-narrowed to 2

Abrewersbaby

Hi everyone! I am having my first baby here in about 5 weeks (but I am convinced she is coming earlier than that!!). I am trying to make the best decision I can in buying a car seat and with the fact that safety ratings arent readily available, it makes it difficult, especially if youve never done this before!! I *think* we have narrowed our search to 2 different travel systems, but was hoping to get some feedback from other parents on which might be the better purchase. Were currently stuck between the 2012 Baby Trend Expedition ELX Travel System Stroller - Pink Nikki and the 2012 Graco Stylus LX Travel Stroller System Snugride 30 WINSLET. Any advice anyone could offer will be GREATLY appreciated!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Between those two, the Snugride. But take my recommendations on the stroller with a grain of salt as I never used one and know nothing about the strollers.

From what I hear, though, most people prefer to get the carseat they want and a snap n go frame. Or get a carseat adapter for a nicer stroller than the travel system stroller. If they use a snap n go they get a nicer dedicated stroller later, or just buy it now if the adapter is available.

Speaking from the carseat side, the Baby Trend requires the handle down in the car, which makes the fit sometimes difficult. Because of the handle it's often best in the middle (for fit), but most middles don't have LATCH, and the seatbelt install can be difficult. The bottom harness height on the BT is very high for an infant seat, so smaller newborns -- or rather, newborns with smaller torsos -- won't actually fit in it since the straps need to be at or below the shoulders.

The Snugride, though, is easy to install, with fit four pound preemies with ease (this is good if you think your baby might come earlier), the handle can be up in the car, and generally is just an easier seat.

Both are narrow, both have cute prints.

Wendy

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Of those 2, get the snugride. I have had install issues with the baby trend in several vehicles over the years. The handle has to be down in the car also.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I always encourage parents to get their stroller and car seat separately. I HATE travel system strollers. I would much rather spend a little more money and get a stroller that will be loved and used than get a travel system and hate the stroller which is what happened to me. I have been through several strollers and have finally found the one that works best for us (Baby Jogger City Mini).

Looking at just the car seats, I agree with PPs that the Snugride 30 is the best choice. I do not like the Baby Trend seats at all. They are not user friendly and can be difficult to install in some vehicles. The Snugride in my experience is much more user friendly and easier to install.

Mugsmom

I did a car seat/stroller combo with my first and the strollers simply aren't as nice as ones you buy separately. It was bulky, heavy, and clunky and hard to steer - and I'm talking one of the "nicer" brands. Just like the other posters, I'd highly recommend getting a nice infant bucket with a snap and go frame (or a baby carrier to wear the baby). Then get a good, lightweight stroller. We love both our City Mini, and our Peg Perego Si.

You may find you don't even use the infant seat for long - we used it with our first for only 6 months, and our second for only 4 months before we switched to a convertible.

asmit4

Hmmm...we love our snugride and the stroller that came with it. With that said- our son is already pushing 30 inches tall at 7 months old so we are moving him to 2 convertibles in another month or so. (max on our snugride is 32inches). I'd go with the snugride b/c putting the handle down is a PIA IMHO.

I will miss being able to pull him from the car sleeping and go to the mall or out to dinner without disturbing him though :) The snugride/stroller has been awesome!

rosey2007

I owned a Baby Trend seat for my first son and it was a pain to install, the handle would stick and my son outgrew it quickly(this was six years ago). I did love the no retread harness on the model I had.

With my 2 son I bought the Snugride 35 and it was a dream to install, my kiddo lasted over a year in it and the handle could be up.

513lette

i had the snugride for my daughter.

now im in the opposite situation. i bought a peg perego travel system, love love love the stroller and despise the carseat! lol

Abrewersbaby

Thank you everyone! Now for some added confusion...Ill blame my indecisive-ness on pregnancy at this point. Hubs and I went to babies r us to purchase today and it just set off a whole new bout of confusion. We decided completely against the baby trend as it was just too bulky. They did not have the Graco set we had been looking for online, however they did have the Graco FastAction Fold Travel system which hubby was a HUGE fan of. I on the other hand think that I liked the S1 by Safety 1st Aerolite LX Premier Travel System the best. The Graco set to me seemed flimsy and cheap while the carseat with the Safety 1st seemed sturdy. Both strollers were just eh, ok, but Im not too worried about the stroller as I dont see it to be as big a purchase as the carseat. Anyone familiar with these 2? Hubby talked me in to purchasing the Graco Fast Action but I am very tempted to turn around take it back and get the s1...Advice, please:)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Between a Snugride 22 and a Safety 1st onBoard 35, I'd take the Safety 1st onBoard 35. It's bigger, has a lockoff, doesn't have a flared base.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC