Legal for a Canadian to buy seat from USA?

ADS

Adventuredad

A Canadian may buy a seat from anywhere in the world. That's perfectly legal and no problem. It's technically illegal to use the seat in Canada. . You can of course call Canadia customs which will give you the same answer. They are very nice and helpful.

Brianna

A Canadian may buy a seat from anywhere in the world. That's perfectly legal and no problem. It's technically illegal to use the seat in Canada. . You can of course call Canadia customs which will give you the same answer. They are very nice and helpful.

Have you read the most recent Consumer Information Notice dated April 24, 2012? The notice contradicts your answer. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-notices-2007c09-menu-353.htm

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
AD, I'm finding myself frustrated with the fact that you continue to ignore the evidence that has been repeatedly provided, that is in contradiction to your consistently incorrect response. You are neither Canadian, nor a Canadian resident, nor do you have a legal background here in Canada...that I am aware of, anyways. Canada Customs DOES seize child restraints that are imported for personal use and/or sale without the NSM. I have personally had this happen to me, and I had zero intent of the US seat even remaining in Canada.

-Nicole.

Keeanh

Well, it would be legal for you both to make the transaction. If it were me, I would inform the Canadian that it's illegal for them to use the seat in Canada, and that it may be seized at the border leaving them without their money or their seat. But if the Canadian is making an informed choice, I don't think it would be wrong of you to sell it :twocents: (then again, I'm kinda biased -- see siggy :p).

ETA: I'm talking about an in-person transaction. If they're wanting you to ship it, then no way! It won't make it across the border and if they paid by paypal they might come back with a claim that it wasn't delivered.

selinajean

It wouldn't be unlawful for you to sell it, or for them to buy it. Perhaps they are using it for a holiday down there or at Grandma's house across the border?

If the buyer wants to bring the seat in to Canada or use it in Canada though, that is where it would be illegal and they may not be aware of that.

tam_shops

Not sure why she would want to pay money for a special needs seat, when she should be able to get a prescription for one from her doctor and then go to a local Occupational Therapist that will order and/or alter one of our legal ones for her. Depending on her medical coverage, this would be free, to minimal charge. No idea worst case scenario if she had no coverage, think there are still special grants that would cover it. Certainly worth her looking into before buying it...

In order to be used in Canada, all seats need to have the Canadian Maple Leave w/ CMVSS 213, 213.1.....sticker on it, so if she wants it for her and your seat does not have a 213.5 (or other 213#) on it, then she can not legally use it here.

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC