LATCH Weight Limits

CatSanders

I just pulled the manual out (04 Sienna) and read through it AGAIN and I cant find a mention of what my vehicle's latch weight is. Given the new "advisory" crap (sorry for the language) w/the Regent...I installed DD's with LATCH and its in good (she is 41lbs)- however, I am unsure if i can only use LATCH up to 48 lbs. According to the "advisory" crap :rolleyes: it said if your vehicle says use Latch to 60lbs than you can use the latch to 60lbs then use the SBP. This is more pertaining to my nephew who is big and possibly in the future for my heavier than usual 18 month old (when he is big enough for the Regent). Does anyone know what the weight limit is on the Sienna??? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
According to the LATCH manual, Toyota follows the child restraint weight limits for LATCH, so 48 lbs. for the lower anchor installation of the Regent.

CatSanders

According to the LATCH manual, Toyota follows the child restraint weight limits for LATCH, so 48 lbs. for the lower anchor installation of the Regent.

According to the advisory there is a FAQ section and it says LATCH can be used up to 60lbs w/the Regent and then SBP up to 80lbs. So will that work for our particular vehicle?

Chameleon

It says 60lbs? That would be fantastic! Can you link me where it says that? I have an 05 sienna with a regent on the way. Yes Toyota does defer to the Child Restraint manual for LATCH limits, so if the FAQ on the advisory says 60 that would be wonderful.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hmmm, I was going by the Regent manual and hadn't pondered the additional FAQ in the advisory to be honest. Personally, I'd be uneasy using lower anchors all the way up to 80 lbs. unless I could get a written okay from both Toyota and Britax, which may be hard to come by from either company. :( I thought lower anchors weight ratings took into account a formula for the child restraint weight (pretty hefty in the case of the Regent) plus the child's weight. A child approaching 80 lbs. plus the weight of the Regent just makes me uneasy about using the lower anchors over a seatbelt, especially not knowing the full details of why Britax issued the consumer advisory and what prompted them to change the Regent manual. An experienced tech (I'm an advocate, not a tech), and/or the LATCH manual authors at Safe Ride News, would be a better person to answer this than me, so I will defer to their superior judgement and knowledge. :eek:

Chameleon

Well page 12 of the new user manual does say you can use the Short Path Latch for 40-80lbs. Hmm. I'm going to be yet again calling Toyota on this one.

mommy2env

Im on hold with toyota and they cant figure it out, they keep transferring me from one idiot to another.:mad: I am about to hang up and call back tommorrow. I have a 2006 Sienna by the way. So have you been told to follow the CR recommendations, that seems weird why wouldnt they just say what their limit is. Or have they not tested their latch system. :mad:

mommy2env

Ohh you know what they said, Well if the carseat can accomodate the child then you should be fine. What? Should be fine isnt good enough!! Thats what I told him, and he is putting me on hold one more freaking time. Ughhh,:mad:

Chameleon

Well when I called they said they had NO Limits AND to follow the CR Manual. That is what they told me after I finally was transfered to someone who knew what they were talking about.

Chameleon

Actually 80lbs, they were using the 60lbs in the FAQ as an example.

Pg 12 of the new Manual states you can use the Short Belt Latch from 40-80lbs.

mommy2env

I wasnt able to get a number from them regarding the limit. They only told me that they meet and exceed the federal standards. Why wont they just say a number, I would feel better that way. So my question, Does the top tether also have no weight limit? I dont know if I trust them, I am on hold AGAIN!

twokidstwodogs

Hey, does that apply to other Britax seats? I was under the impression that I had to stop using LATCH on my Marathon at 48 lbs, even though Subaru allows it to 60 lbs. I seriously doubt that DD#2 will get past 48 lbs in the Marathon without outgrowing the harness slots, but I'm curious.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hey, does that apply to other Britax seats? I was under the impression that I had to stop using LATCH on my Marathon at 48 lbs, even though Subaru allows it to 60 lbs. I seriously doubt that DD#2 will get past 48 lbs in the Marathon without outgrowing the harness slots, but I'm curious.

They say to only use it to 48 if the car doesn't say...since the car says 60, you should be able to use the LATCH all the way to 60. :thumbsup:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You aren't going to get an answer, they DO defer to the child restraint manual :) (I'm reading the Toyota Page in the LATCH manual)

I wasnt able to get a number from them regarding the limit. They only told me that they meet and exceed the federal standards. Why wont they just say a number, I would feel better that way. So my question, Does the top tether also have no weight limit? I dont know if I trust them, I am on hold AGAIN!

mommy2env

So what about the marathon, I started this thread because I am getting even more confused. http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=20095 Can we use the latch past 48lbs if the vehicle allows it, or are we suppose to use the seat belt? In other words, the seat itself doesnt have a limit, the latch system in the vehicle is the one that usually does, right? :confused:

LaurieB

I spoke with toyota this morning and he said that they exceed the safety regs (same crapola mommy2env got) and then he said that since Toyota refers the the Carseat manual and the carseat manual refers to the manufacturer, that it was clear to him anyway that neither was willing to accept any liability so they wouldn't publish numbers. He was very nice, appologized for the lack of good info, and I thanked him for being honest. So I'm no help....

Laurie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC